COX GIG

rickr

I just noticed COX now has Gigabit internet available to my house. Have been with Uverse the past couple of years and it is just blah. Cox Gig is a bit pricey but I am ready to jump on board. The website does not do a good job to show the bundled pricing. It is kind of showing full retail price.

Anyone on the board currently with COX GIG? Are you happy with it?

Just checked my address.. looks like I'm GIG ready.  2 year contract for $100/month.  Am I really gonna see 1Gbps?  Doesn't the cable modem top out around 300 Mbps?

I am sure they will provide a router that can support the GIG speed. You won't see a huge jump in the Wifi speed within your house. Not sure the latest Wifi routers support Gigabit. To truly get the best throughput/bandwidth, it should be a wired connection to your equipment.

I just called Cox. Seems there's mixed information between sales and tech support. Sales basically said all plans are having speeds doubled at end of month. The 150 mbps and Gig plans are both $99 a month, it's basically if you are in the area for Gig speeds or not. He said Orange County is and you should be able to order Gig next month.

Tech support said that they didn't have a firm date on rollout. Said there would be a $300 one time installation fee (can't spread out over months either) and a "sizeable" box will have to be placed somewhere in the house. He wasn't sure if it's a modem and router or a modem+router combo would be given to the customer and if there was a monthly fee for that. He thought it would be a separate modem and router because of the speeds involved and you could probably use your own router. He recommended a Netgear Nighthawk and of course warned that if you are running wireless that fastest speeds you can get are 600 mbps.

SubSolar said:
I just called Cox. Seems there's mixed information between sales and tech support. Sales basically said all plans are having speeds doubled at end of month. The 150 mbps and Gig plans are both $99 a month, it's basically if you are in the area for Gig speeds or not. He said Orange County is and you should be able to order Gig next month.

Tech support said that they didn't have a firm date on rollout. Said there would be a $300 one time installation fee (can't spread out over months either) and a "sizeable" box will have to be placed somewhere in the house. He wasn't sure if it's a modem and router or a modem+router combo would be given to the customer and if there was a monthly fee for that. He thought it would be a separate modem and router because of the speeds involved and you could probably use your own router. He recommended a Netgear Nighthawk and of course warned that if you are running wireless that fastest speeds you can get are 600 mbps.

the cox website where you put your address in says gigabit is available now for tustin. i called to sign up, it was going to be a two year contract at 99/month.  except it is not actually offered in Tustin, so the only thing i could upgrade to was 150 at 99/month.  and they said the speeds doubled on 7/31. this is why i dont like calling customer service. luckily, i never have to i never have any issues with my internet connection.

qwerty said:
SubSolar said:

the cox website where you put your address in says gigabit is available now for tustin. i called to sign up, it was going to be a two year contract at 99/month.  except it is not actually offered in Tustin, so the only thing i could upgrade to was 150 at 99/month.  and they said the speeds doubled on 7/31. this is why i dont like calling customer service. luckily, i never have to i never have any issues with my internet connection.

I think I'm going to wait until all the kinks are worked out.  I'm pretty happy with my speed now...no reason to upgrade.

SubSolar said:

Thanks for posting. I got the run around from Customer Service calling in and finally got clarification that GIG is not available yet in Irvine. Would be nice to have your website be more accurate Cox.

Guess I will just have to wait.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
except it is not actually offered in Tustin
#NoGigInTheGhetto

EDIT:

Wait... qwertendale is the only gig in the ghetto.

He doesn't live in the ghetto.
Anything outside of Irvine... ghetto.

#KnowYourIrvineElitism

Haha

That guy lives in a million plus home. He has a lot of capital as he day trades. His dog has a gold plated tag. (Just guessing)

Back