Irvine city council elections and your home value/quality of life.

Who would you vote for?

• Steven Choi

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Mary Ann Gaido

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Katherine Daigle

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

calimark

I've seen a bit lot of political mudslinging out there, flyers/mailers coming my way, signs peppering Irvine streets, accusatory websites, etc.  What is one to believe?

Haven't lived in Irvine long enough to know the "real" story? or are council elections a moot point if Irvine Co. controls the land and does whatever they want?

I suppose I shouldn't ask who you'd vote for? maybe a poll should be set up?  (I've never done that, so bear with me?)?

They should put Agran in jail. His corruption knows no bounds. I'm hoping for a grand jury review after the forensic investigation is complete.

The California Court Company said:
10 year Irvine resident here. voted for Great Park over international airport but there is so little to show for 200 million dollars

your subject title suggests you are leaning toward a particular candidate, but you can read the following for yourself
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/10/larry_agran_irvine_1.php

Title wasn't meant to suggest support for one candidate or another.  It was meant exactly as I titled it? I imagine we all care about home values and the quality of life in Irvine, so was alluding to that in regards to the elections.  It seems like (some?) candidates are trying to appeal to residents' concerns over excessive and rapid housing developments (which have no doubt caused strains on local infrastructure, which in turn, impact one's quality of life, and further, can potentially impact long term home values negatively)? I'm just not sure I believe what I read in those "community newsletters" or opposing candidates' letters, etc.  Like I said, I don't know enough to pass judgment.  I just have a general distrust of what I see out there.

I do believe the excessive development in Irvine is a short and long term concern, IMHO, because I do believe it can change Irvine long term.  Imagine how Irvine will look, not 5 or 10 years from now, but rather 20-30 years from now, or even 50 years? SFRs will prob be kept up ok, but what about all those multifamily units?  Not against multifamily, I've lived in them too, but I'm talking about balance here?  Or do people not care?  Is Irvine a raise your kids then ditch the city, type of city?  Is everyone moving out to Newport Coast when all is said and done?

Anyway? appreciate the color provided in the replies here.  Seems like where there's smoke, there's fire.

Westsiiide! said:
10 year Irvine resident here. voted for Great Park over international airport but there is so little to show for 200 million dollars

your subject title suggests you are leaning toward a particular candidate, but you can read the following for yourself

Title wasn't meant to suggest support for one candidate or another.  It was meant exactly as I titled it? I imagine we all care about home values and the quality of life in Irvine, so was alluding to that in regards to the elections.  It seems like (some?) candidates are trying to appeal to residents' concerns over excessive and rapid housing developments (which have no doubt caused strains on local infrastructure, which in turn, impact one's quality of life, and further, can potentially impact long term home values negatively)? I'm just not sure I believe what I read in those "community newsletters" or opposing candidates' letters, etc.  Like I said, I don't know enough to pass judgment.  I just have a general distrust of what I see out there.

I do believe the excessive development in Irvine is a short and long term concern, IMHO, because I do believe it can change Irvine long term.  Imagine how Irvine will look, not 5 or 10 years from now, but rather 20-30 years from now, or even 50 years? SFRs will prob be kept up ok, but what about all those multifamily units?  Not against multifamily, I've lived in them too, but I'm talking about balance here?  Or do people not care?  Is Irvine a raise your kids then ditch the city, type of city?  Is everyone moving out to Newport Coast when all is said and done?

Anyway? appreciate the color provided in the replies here.  Seems like where there's smoke, there's fire.

There's a tired myth going around that more homes increases traffic.  Because Irvine's jobs to homes ratio is so high more homes will actually reduce traffic.  If you want less traffic you'll need to reduce commercial/retail development, which is exactly what 5 Point's plan does.

Agran is opposing 5P because he wants the development go into his cronies. He is pro development as long as he can profit from it, the 200 million dollar question.

test said:
Westsiiide! said:

There's a tired myth going around that more homes increases traffic.  Because Irvine's jobs to homes ratio is so high more homes will actually reduce traffic.  If you want less traffic you'll need to reduce commercial/retail development, which is exactly what 5 Point's plan does.

Interesting.  So, are you referring to the fact that Mr. Smith (or Mr. Chang) can drive just one block to his work, as opposed to driving down Jeffery, jumping on the 405 or 5, then heading up to Long Beach or Anaheim, or wherever his job is?  Just trying to understand how this works here.  Also, I wonder how this jobs to homes ratio fares through recessionary periods or if a major employer moves out or goes bust (e.g., Toyota in Torrance, etc.).  Don't know the statistics myself, but something to think about.  As for more homes (or higher residential density), I'm not a city planning expert by any means, but Irvine Spectrum feels pretty darn crowded Friday nights (no parking spaces).

Westsiiide! said:

no matter who you vote in this election, the new home at GP/5P will still get constructed.  I personally dont like Agran b/c of cemetery.  I think the cemetery will affect my house value.

test said:
Westsiiide! said:

Yeah, that makes complete sense-- add homes to reduce traffic.

Why isn't Test running for City Council?

keep-calm-and-drink-the-kool-aid.png

just my personal experience

during traffic hours (morning and afternoon commute to/from work), the traffic going into Irvine is much better than the traffic going out of Irvine; I am talking about 405/5/55

in terms of traffic within Irvine, going North/toward the mountain is worse than the other direction (Jamboree, Culver and Jefferey; don't know much about Sand Canyon). East/West conduits I am not so sure but I think they are not too bad.

How will additional 5000 homes + other commercial development in GP affect Irvine traffic? Obviously areas around 5/405/133 and Sand Canyon will get affected. the other 3 North/East conduits? Jamboree will get affected by Tustin Legacy development, Culver a little bit due to Orchard Hills. Jefferey moderately due to Cypress Village and Eastwood Village.

JustSayin said:
test said:
Westsiiide! said:

Yeah, that makes complete sense-- add homes to reduce traffic.

Why isn't Test running for City Council?

keep-calm-and-drink-the-kool-aid.png

So without the homes the traffic magically disappears?  It doesn't get shifted to someplace else?  You must be an Obama voter.

"So without the homes the traffic magically disappears?  It doesn't get shifted to someplace else?  You must be an Obama voter."

So, I comment on what you actually said.  You insult me for something I never actually said. 
You must be a Hillary voter.

There will be a massive influx of new homes, condos and apartments in Irvine/GP over the next few years.
Each new unit will likely have at least two cars coming and going on a daily basis.

Let me break down the formula for you, Common Core style:

NH (number of new homes) x 2 (number of cars coming/going) = #CrapLoadofTraffic

I know all the candidates.  I have lived here for 30 years.  All of them have plus/minuses.  Happy that Agran was able to keep an international airport out of the old base.  Sad the El Toro base closed.  Extremely upset that millions have been wasted on PR.  Are any of them great and perfect...no.  The Planning Commission members, appointed, not elected or paid, decided that high density housing ( without the road infrastructure to support it) made mistakes, I whole heartedly agree.  Do I think that is all Agran or all Choi?  I have to see who was sitting on the planning commission and was appointed by whom before I decide.  The Irvine CO has been very good to this city.  Do I think it is altruistic?  No.  I don't see Five Points getting involved and supporting the community and schools the way TIC has done.  Election is not a slam dunk but the great park waste weighs heavily on my mind.

IMHO you would be crazy to vote for Agran. Both groups of candidates can take blame for Irvine over development. But only one is responsible for wasting millions of tax dollars at the GP.

eyephone said:
There's only one question to ask. Where did the $200 million go?

I like to answer this question on behalf of the Great Pork Planning Commission.  It was a typo all along.  Someone added an extra zero to the end and that somehow manifested to gossip due to social media.  We should set the record straight and say we can confidently produce and justify $20 million of expenses.  The other $180 million is just your imagination.

As for elections, I grow really tried of those campaign signs all over Irvine.  It's just a distraction and eyesore and slows down traffic.

Back