Keeping flies/pests out of Outdoor living room?

fara

Hi there, i just bought a house with an outdoor living room with bi-fold doors. There are an enormous amount of flies the minute i open the bi-fold doors. Anyone have the same problem and if so what do you do to keep them out so you can actually enjoy the outdoor living space? I've had the pest control company come out twice to spray but still no luck... thanks!

We have the same problem, got the large panel slider but barely open it due to this.  There is still construction next door so hoping once this is complete they will find another place to roam...

Good thing is they seem to go away at night, bit then there's moths and other night bugs.

Do you have a roof mounted ceiling fan out in that room? That's what keeps the bugs out of ours. At night, even with the lights on, once that fan is roaring the flies/moths aren't an issue.

My .02c

My better half mentioned this same problem to me as I drooled over model homes with gigantic folding glass walls. The reality of indoor/outdoor living is not as good as the dream.

I think we mentioned this as a potential problem with the bi-fold doors in another thread.

Without the ability to screen out the inside, flying insects could be an issue.

Luckily, this isn't the IE where flies outnumber FCBs.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think we mentioned this as a potential problem with the bi-fold doors in another thread.

Without the ability to screen out the inside, flying insects could be an issue.

Luckily, this isn't the IE where flies outnumber FCBs.

anyone have a bug light zapper that works well? The best way to keep bugs out is to install fans above. Most supermarkets have these in their entrances. The fans blow insects away so they don't fly in. Similar to what SGIP said but they are positioned right above the door or roof.

Thanks for all the tips! 

It's just strange that none of the model homes have any bugs flying around and their doors are open all the time...

Gonna install a ceiling fan above shortly and hopefully once all the construction is done the bugs will fly away.

doesn't someone make large invisible custom screens for these bifold doors? Anyone know?  As the bifolds become more popular some company has got to come up with something. Costco anyone? They always have an answer for every problem  ;)

Paris167 said:
doesn't someone make large invisible custom screens for these bifold doors? Anyone know?  As the bifolds become more popular some company has got to come up with something. Costco anyone? They always have an answer for every problem  ;)
Depending on how the bi-fold folds on the track, it could be impossible to put a screen on it.

Our fly problems seem to run from June/July to about September/October.  So hopefully they'll be going away soon.  We already have fewer than we had a month ago.

fara said:
Hi there, i just bought a house with an outdoor living room with bi-fold doors. There are an enormous amount of flies the minute i open the bi-fold doors. Anyone have the same problem and if so what do you do to keep them out so you can actually enjoy the outdoor living space? I've had the pest control company come out twice to spray but still no luck... thanks!

I'm amazed they don't have issues in the models.

We wouldn't pay extra for any bifold doors and in fact we don't want a California room.

We get possums in our area (Northwood Pointe) along with stray cats once in a while. Imagine if a cat is roaming around your house without kitty litter. You'd be happy if you only had an issue with flies.

Then there is the issue of furniture sitting outside getting dusty and faded (and pillows flying away in the wind).

Ready2Downsize said:
fara said:

I'm amazed they don't have issues in the models.

We wouldn't pay extra for any bifold doors and in fact we don't want a California room.

We get possums in our area (Northwood Pointe) along with stray cats once in a while. Imagine if a cat is roaming around your house without kitty litter. You'd be happy if you only had an issue with flies.

Then there is the issue of furniture sitting outside getting dusty and faded (and pillows flying away in the wind).

Wow I guess you're really not into the indoor outdoor California living that so many of us enjoy.

ps9 said:
Indoor possum is no good, yikes

You probably didn't prepare them right, I hear they taste like pork and are quite delicious.  Oh wait, that not what you're taking about. :-[

Nope, I'm not.

I think down the road they will be like the conversation pit........ out of style once people realize all the maintenance that goes into keeping furniture clean, the problem of rodents and flies entering homes (and dust blowing in) and the cost of a/c when the doors are open, leaving them closed a good deal of time.

And I think that a lot of them will become enclosed which is what I would do, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of having one.

I like being outside and I'm fortunate enough to have enough land to do that without having a Calif room. I just don't like open doors. There's a reason for doors and screens.

Back