A

-get a home alarm or cameras with motion dector
-get a dog or place a sign by your backyard "beware of dog"
-always pick up fliers/newspaper that are left at your door
-never leave your windows open, if your not home

This makes me glad I signed up for ADT. The Irvine Pacific walk through guy said only a couple homes he's seen put in an alarm system, most don't bother cause Irvine is so safe.

It's really the builder not the HOA.  TIC has tons of security 24/7 around their new homes.

get a wireless security system (frontpoint security), dont get a dog to be an alarm. you can get dropcams to record all the activity as well.  get little league aluminum bats and place throughout the house. if an intruder comes in you will have access to something for self defense.  get a gun. 

no one is getting into my house without the alarm going off. the dogs will also give me notice. if they manage to stay in the house they will be recorded in HD.  if they manage to make it upstairs, well, they will be lucky that they dont. got a big surprise waiting for them, and im not talking about The Bat.

Irvineneedle said:
I saw police car this morning, and I was told that at least 3 homes were broken last night, one of them lost about 30K value ?  HOA should do something, I never saw a security guard around, we need a safe place to live, please spend money on right place not just party, we need a guard gate community in the future.

Are these homes mostly vacant?  Were the owners not home?  I do notice a lot of empty homes around here.. FCB homes?

Anyone else got info?  Please share.  Aqua?  Bones?  Pretty brazen to hit up 3 homes in one night.  Must've scouted ahead or got insider info. 

ps9 said:
Anyone else got info?  Please share.  Aqua?  Bones?  Pretty brazen to hit up 3 homes in one night.  Must've scouted ahead or got insider info.

Right?  They must have known the owners aren't home.  Again, I drove around earlier tonight and it felt like nobody was home at most of these houses.  This was 7PM on a Sunday night.   

I chatted with Irvine PD cruising the neighborhood a few weeks back.  Asked them about crime in the area and they said for the most part everything in the community has been very quiet, though there were some appliance thefts of nearly complete (unoccupied) homes awhile back.

No further info on this particular occurrence last night.  Trying to find out more but can't find Irvine PD blotter online, only OC Sherriff.

Ready2Downsize said:
Gate isn't going to prevent crime. We've lived in gated communities for more than 20 years and have had break ins.

Did you guys have a security guard at the gate 24/7?  I agree a gate alone is not aas effective. 

But if I am a robber I go for something without a gate unless I am targeting a particular home that I know.

A gate makes it harder for a robber to monitor and study a neighborhood as well.

Then I wonder if these were homes that weren't completed yet.  Someone stealing them Sterling toilets?

Zippohunter said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Gate isn't going to prevent crime. We've lived in gated communities for more than 20 years and have had break ins.

Did you guys have a security guard at the gate 24/7?  I agree a gate alone is not aas effective. 

But if I am a robber I go for something without a gate unless I am targeting a particular home that I know.

A gate makes it harder for a robber to monitor and study a neighborhood as well.

agreed although most Irvine neighborhoods aren't gated.

Zippohunter said:
Ready2Downsize said:

And if there is a gate, makes it harder to take off with a large load of loot - unless they get their vehicle inside the gate somehow via insider help

I see some activity about this now on the PP HOA forums, must be one of you guys :)

At this point I think all we have is the first post of a new user who hasn't reposted.  Not saying it didn't happen, and certainly an event like this could prompt someone to create an account here to post it.  Hope to get more details soon.

Zippohunter said:
Ready2Downsize said:

Easy to tail gate/follow a car into a gated community.

eyephone said:
Zippohunter said:
Ready2Downsize said:

Not at guard gated places like turtle ridge , Northpark. As soon as 1 car passes the gate immediately comes down. I should know because I wasn't paying attention one day and tailgated my neighbor in only to get struck by the overhead gate.

Paris167 said:
eyephone said:
Zippohunter said:
Ready2Downsize said:

Not at guard gated places like turtle ridge , Northpark. As soon as 1 car passes the gate immediately comes down. I should know because I wasn't paying attention one day and tailgated my neighbor in only to get struck by the overhead gate.

I guess your not smooth like that or in your case smart.  ;)

Back