Mounting an outdoor TV Antenna

IrvinePeon

I'm a fan of FREE OTA digital programming; or rather, I hate paying for TV.

Doing some research on using OTA programming in my area.

Issue #1: According to AntennaWeb.org, my address is hopeless for any channels. But reality is, I do receive some channels (even with an indoor antenna). So this may not be a big deal.

Issue #2: HOA manual says mounted TV Antennas cannot "exceed the ridgeline of any roof."  This kinda sucks butt, no??

In my previous home (where there's no HOA), I mounted a TV next to the chimney and had awesome programming.  In my current home, I'm now using an indoor flat antenna. It picks up a good number of channels, but the signal is not very strong and I get choppy quality, channels dropping in and out, etc.  So I'm now thinking of mounting an outdoor TV antenna like I did in my previous home. 

Anyone else putting up a TV antenna around Portola Springs?

I'm going to be putting up this antenna: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4XVOOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

on Friday at my new house in Jasmine/Cypress Village. I found out during the walkthrough last week that there's a conduit running from the attic to the master bedroom closet panel where all the ethernet cables are. So hopefully I can get all the channels I need with the antenna in the attic and not have to go outside. You should check to see if you have the same conduit.

SubSolar said:
I'm going to be putting up this antenna: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4XVOOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

on Friday at my new house in Jasmine/Cypress Village. I found out during the walkthrough last week that there's a conduit running from the attic to the master bedroom closet panel where all the ethernet cables are. So hopefully I can get all the channels I need with the antenna in the attic and not have to go outside. You should check to see if you have the same conduit.

Hmm... I have not considered an attic mount. Please let me know how it goes with your unit after having it mounted!  I'm interested in doing the same now. :)

Sure, will do. A lot of people seem to do the attic mount with good success. I'm only about 42 miles according to antennaweb so I'm positive.

I first put my indoor/outdoor antenna in the garage.  It was better than in the TV room, but I noticed it worked better when there were no cars in the garage.  So I ran the antenna to the backyard and hooked it up on the patio.  Now I have 96 channels, and they are all clear.

It's going to be a pain in the ass, but you will have to do trial and error to find a sweet spot.  I use a small outdoor antenna from RCA.  It's hardly noticeable.

SubSolar, I checked out the attic (access door in the master closet) and did find a 3" orange tube that leads to the control panel! That's really slick!

That's the good news. The bad news is that my attic space is TINY!! Other than the 3'x6' landing space next to the access door, there's no usable space where I can possibly mount a big antenna like the DB8e.  Is the DB8e really 36" x 48"?  I can probably place it in the landing space, but it'll be in the way when trying to access the heater.

I'll see if there are some smaller antennae around.

Try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-ClearStream4-HDTV-Antenna/dp/B001BRXW74/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410313935&sr=1-9&keywords=hdtv+antenna

Has a 65 mile range vs 70 of the other one so it's probably fine. I'm more of an overkill/overbuild kind of guy. If the one I got doesn't fit I will try this one. But I asked the Irvine Pacific walkthrough guy and he thought it should fit no problem.

SubSolar said:
My home theater installer just put the antenna up in the attic. Over 125 channels. I'm happy.

I'd love a referral. Who's your home theater installer? I'd like to buy an Antenna too and have it installed in Orchard Hills.

Couldn?t find a ladder tall enough to get to the top of my house so hired someone to do the install.  Great experience so pm me if you want referral.

Back