Cox Internet preferred vs premier vs ultimate

OCgasman

Question for you bandwidth people.  If you've upgraded or downgraded for different speeds, are you seeing any real world difference in download speed?  Couple of seconds here and there doesn't bother me.  Ultimate seems like overkill but I don't know.  The only time I can see needing some real speed for avg home use is if I need to stream 4k one day. Premier seems to be the sweet spot for pricing/speed but is preferred good enough?

I believe we have Premier for like $70.  It is more than adequate for us.  We can stream Netflix and video simultaneously without any problems. 

We upgraded from 25mb to 50mb.

The difference was noticeable esp because we will sometimes stream Netflix from 2 or more sources.

For most I think 25mb is good enough... we used to be on DSL which was like 5mb but this was before the proliferation of so many streaming services.

About 1-2 weeks ago the cox site said they were doubling speeds. Didn't day when though but guessing soon

Irvinecommuter said:
Cox is supposedly rolling out an one-gigabyte internet.

"The very first buildings to get the super high-speed internet service will be select new construction projects in Phoenix, Arizona; Las Vegas, Nevada; and Omaha, Nebraska. Unfortunately, expansion of gigabit service to all of Cox's regions isn't even set to begin until 2016, but a select few should be enjoying a wide pipe to the internet by the end of this year."

I contacted Cox about a week ago and was told that Orange County is scheduled to double between 10/24 and 10/28

I also found this list online:

Here is the latest speed increase schedule. Of course, it is subject to change.

Omaha 7/10/2014;
Sun Valley 7/10/2014
Kansas/Arkansas 7/1712014
Arizona 7/21/2014
Las Vegas 7/29/2014
Oklahoma City 8/15/2014
Tulsa 8/15/2014
Hampton Roads 9/3/2014
Roanoke 9/3/2014
Northern Virginia 9/10/2014
New Orleans 9/23/2014
Greater Louisiana 9/24/2014
Gainesville/Ocala 9/25/2014
Gulf Coast 9/25/2014
Middle Georgia 9/25/2014
Cleveland 10/14/2014
Connecticut 10/14/2014
Rhode Island 10/14/2014
San Diego 10/21/2014
Santa Barbara 10/21/2014
Orange County 10/28/2014
Palos Verdes 10/28/2014

SubSolar said:
I'm about to for my new house. Probably the 78" Samsung curved.
Balla. 

I'm waiting for prices to come down a bit.  I think we'll see some major price drops after 2015 CES.  I need more 4k content to justify the purchase although picture quality even with 1080 is almost justification enough.

OCgasman said:
SubSolar said:
Balla. 

I'm waiting for prices to come down a bit.  I think we'll see some major price drops after 2015 CES.  I need more 4k content to justify the purchase although picture quality even with 1080 is almost justification enough.

Yeah, you should wait. 4K OLED's will be affordable in 2-3 years.

I'm only getting one because I'm moving to a house with a long great room, where you sit about 15 to 16 feet from the TV. My 60 incher is just going to be too small. I was just going to get an 80" 1080p set but they look like crap at that size. The Sharp 1080p 80" 2014 model retails for $5k. I can get a 78" 4k Samsung for $6k so I think it's worth it.

SubSolar said:
OCgasman said:
SubSolar said:
Balla. 

I'm only getting one because I'm moving to a house with a long great room, where you sit about 15 to 16 feet from the TV. My 60 incher is just going to be too small. I was just going to get an 80" 1080p set but they look like crap at that size. The Sharp 1080p 80" 2014 model retails for $5k. I can get a 78" 4k Samsung for $6k so I think it's worth it.
I'm sure you've done tons of research.  Just curious, what was the thought process on getting the 78" 9000 series vs 75" 8550 for less money or the 85" 8550 for a bit more?

OCgasman said:
SubSolar said:
OCgasman said:
SubSolar said:
Balla. 

I'm sure you've done tons of research.  Just curious, what was the thought process on getting the 78" 9000 series vs 75" 8550 for less money or the 85" 8550 for a bit more?

Yes, I was also looking at those too. Can get the 85" around $8k (retails for $10k) and 75" for $4,100 (retails for $5,500). I actually prefer flat to curved. But just this weekend I found a nice Magnolia Best Buy sales guy who moved around the same Blu-Ray player and movie to three different 4k TV's. The 85" flat Samsung, 79" flat LG and 65" curved Samsung. The 65" curved was the only one that didn't have stuttering/lag when you turn the motion crap off. The other two either lagged with motion crap off, or had the soap opera effect with it on. Now maybe if you spend a lot of time on one you can find a compromise in the settings, who knows.

Also the 9000 has a better processor and black levels, contrast. Also has that cool One Connect Box where all the HDMI and other inputs are on a separate box so you only need to route one cable in the wall or to your stand or rack.

I was really set on the 85 incher, but it's probably best to save a couple grand now anyway, since I only plan on keeping it as the main TV for a couple years until 4K OLED 85+ inchers are cheap.

Thanks for the response.  I hate the soap opera effect, but also hate lag watching sports.  Inherent defects for most LCDs.  Man, it's so pricey to get the processor that can really combat those defects.  I wish plasmas were still being made in large sizes by Pioneer and Panasonic. 

I was at the Sony store the other day.  The 85" 950 blows me away and so does the price.  What I don't get is why the 900 series comes with those gigantic side speakers.  Are people buying that TV not using a home theater system?  Takes the 900 series off my list.

Back