Where should we raise our family?

test

At Cypress Village, the elementary and junior high schools are virtually across the street.

If we lived in Cypress Village, I?d be home by 6:15 p.m.

Cypress Village is across Sand Canyon Avenue from the Great Park.

Cypress Village will likely feed into a brand new high school.

At Cypress Village, it?s a 10-minute round trip walk to Starbucks.

Cypress Village has a shopping center across Jeffrey Road, another short stroll away.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/irvine-631802-clemente-san.html

test said:
At Cypress Village, the elementary and junior high schools are virtually across the street.

If we lived in Cypress Village, I?d be home by 6:15 p.m.

Cypress Village is across Sand Canyon Avenue from the Great Park.

Cypress Village will likely feed into a brand new high school.

At Cypress Village, it?s a 10-minute round trip walk to Starbucks.

Cypress Village has a shopping center across Jeffrey Road, another short stroll away.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/irvine-631802-clemente-san.html

CV is basically next to the freeway

Environmental health researchers from UCLA, the University of Southern California and the California Air Resources Board have found that during the hours before sunrise, freeway air pollution extends much further than previously thought.

Air pollutants from Interstate 10 in Santa Monica extend as far as 2,500 meters ? more than 1.5 miles ? downwind, based on recent measurements from a research team headed by Dr. Arthur Winer, a professor of environmental health sciences at the UCLA School of Public Health. This distance is 10 times greater than previously measured daytime pollutant impacts from roadways and has significant exposure implications, since most people are in their homes during the hours before sunrise and outdoor pollutants penetrate into indoor environments.
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/air-pollution-from-freeway-extends-93857

test said:
All of Irvine is basically next to the freeway

That's pretty much not true.  But even assuming that to be the case, proximity to freeway is a major concern.  Everything is about convenience and time.  Noise and pollution are not avoidable.

Puff pieces like this are the reason why I don't subscribe to the OCR. It lost credibility years ago when they began disguising advertisements as news.

"We feel safe in San Clemente. But Irvine is America?s safest city." - False. Only on lists gauging cities with populations of 200k or more and 100k+does Irvine appear safest. As both I and the OCR itself pointed out last week, RSM is the safest city in CA. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing down at the OCR.

SoCal said:
Puff pieces like this are the reason why I don't subscribe to the OCR. It lost credibility years ago when they began disguising advertisements as news.

"We feel safe in San Clemente. But Irvine is America?s safest city." - False. Only on lists gauging cities with populations of 200k or more and 100k+does Irvine appear safest. As both I and the OCR itself pointed out last week, RSM is the safest city in CA. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing down at the OCR.

When RSM shows up on any major publication.. give me a call.  ;)

Irvinecommuter said:
test said:
All of Irvine is basically next to the freeway

That's pretty much not true.  But even assuming that to be the case, proximity to freeway is a major concern.  Everything is about convenience and time.  Noise and pollution are not avoidable.

I don't think you can actually hear the freeway in most of CV... well at least when I visited most of the model homes.  CV has a very nice location.

jmoney74 said:
SoCal said:

When RSM shows up on any major publication.. give me a call.  ;)

Since you asked...

This is a fun & pretty educational segment I enjoyed watching from 20/20. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwy5Cp1TPEk

Isn't RSM in Nevada?

A friend of mine bought a place there and I told him that it was far and he adamantly said it was fine (he worked in Irvine).

Fast forward a year or so and I find out that during the week he stays with his parents (they lived closer to his work) and stayed at his RSM place during the weekends (if that). I knew this because he got a roommate who was a friend of mine.

Soon after that, he put it up for short sale. When I asked him why he sold the place, he sheepishly replied "It was too far from work".

Location, location, location.

irvinehomeowner said:
Isn't RSM in Nevada?

A friend of mine bought a place there and I told him that it was far and he adamantly said it was fine (he worked in Irvine).

Fast forward a year or so and I find out that during the week he stays with his parents (they lived closer to his work) and stayed at his RSM place during the weekends (if that). I knew this because he got a roommate who was a friend of mine.

Soon after that, he put it up for short sale. When I asked him why he sold the place, he sheepishly replied "It was too far from work".

Yup.  Same with Ladera Ranch.  People convinced themselves that it was "close enough" but now a lot of LR people I know admit that it's too far.

Yes, Iho. I'm sure it's an excruciatingly-long trek akin to crossing the state line each day. If you're walking.

debbie-downer.jpg

Some people can deal with the commute.

I have a buddy who works in Irvine but lives in Las Flores (AKA West RSM). He admits the drive is horrible (sometime he takes the roundabout toll road way) but he loves his home and neighborhood. Plus it helps that his wife works in South County.

He wants me to move south... but the price difference just isn't large enough (especially when you 5/1 ARM it :) ).

It's the last spot for whites.  If you want your cookie cutter all american neighborhood.. move south.  Only FCBs (Chinese and Indians) around here. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Isn't RSM in Nevada?

I think the definition of RSM to Irvine being a far drive is a little extreme to just up and live with your parents, etc.  I mean if you take the toll road, we aren't talking about some hour drive each way here.  Again, part of this is my assumption that if you work North and live in RSM you basically budget / factor in, when buying the house, the fact that you ARE going to need to use the toll roads, etc.  I mean everyone wants a 5 minute drive to work but pretty unrealistic to expect more often then not. I live in Irvine and work in Newport and never have to get off of Jamboree but it still takes me 25 - 45 minutes each way (despite going < 10 miles).  Never in a million years would I complain about that. 

For the the furthest South I would go is Foothill, places in Mission Viejo that are close enough to the freeway, and Aliso (more because the proximity to my work, although it is completely inconvenient in terms of FWY access).  I have no desire to live in RSM, Coto, etc. Just too far east for me based upon my families needs, etc.  Furthest North I would live is Tustin Ranch, haha. 

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Isn't RSM in Nevada?

Yup.  Same with Ladera Ranch.  People convinced themselves that it was "close enough" but now a lot of LR people I know admit that it's too far.
I debated moving to Ladera when the markets had bottomed out. The upside is bigger place and better cost of living (especially back when the market bottomed out there) with a really fantastic family environment (not that Irvine's isn't great cause it is but the overall community is just filled with young families or at least was early in its hey-day, where as a lot of Irvine communities are established and more mixed in terms of ages of families, etc).

However, it is pretty dense (although not new irvine community dense) and most of the jobs are in the Irvine area or North (vs. South) so you are going to have a consistent long drive and I believe quite a bit of traffic to get onto the freeway to begin with. 

Back