Isis, Ukraine, Ebola, Ferguson... is it WWZ time?

I doubt HOA would approve a wall built around my house perimeter :)

Maybe build it around qwerty's place, since they just do paper money threats,

we'll invite momo over for shits and giggles (more like rations and guns)

Btw - Ferguson has nothing to do with World War.

But Yalioo might protest the veteran cemetery in Irvine. (just joking)

So this Ebola thing is getting a bit scary.

If 2 people treating him can get it with precautionary measures, how contagious is it? It's supposedly not airborne but it makes you wonder.

I hope with enough treatment those 2 nurses survive.

It sounds like they got it before they took all the necessary precautions before the got the positive result back. Emory has treated a couple of people with no infections. If this shit spreads though I may have to work full time from the house with my limes

qwerty said:
If this shit spreads though I may have to work full time from the house with my limes.

That's it!  Your toxic limes might just be the silver bullet.

The study had shown that lime juice can kill HIV virus and your extra potent toxic lime definitely has the potential to kill Ebola virus.  I'm going to place a call order on those limes.  ;)

Lime and lemon juice could be potent weapons in the fight against AIDS in the developing world, some experts are suggesting.
The potency of these citrus fruits lies in their acidic nature, and in the lab their juices have been shown to be effective in killing the HIV virus,
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/06/060602-AIDS.html

im going to sell my limes to KY so the can add some magic juice to their personal lubricants. No more worrying about hiv!

qwerty said:
im going to sell my limes to KY so the can add some magic juice to their personal lubricants. No more worrying about hiv!

Lime aka green gold.

The price of lime have gone down recently. I also have a lime tree.

irvinehomeowner said:
So this Ebola thing is getting a bit scary.

If 2 people treating him can get it with precautionary measures, how contagious is it? It's supposedly not airborne but it makes you wonder.

I hope with enough treatment those 2 nurses survive.

The hospital in TX was completely unprepared for Ebola and were not following protocol intially (I don't think there was a set protocol to follow at that time from the CDC - they were still developing it) when caring for the initial patient. At the end stages of this disease patients have severe vomiting, diarrhea and obviously nurses in constant direct contact with these bodily fluids are at high risk. And especially at the end stages the virulence is very high.  It is contagious through bodily fluids but you can get it more easily through casual contact vs other viruses like HIV and Hepc

It is not airborne but there have been cases where people have gotten it via respiratory droplets, for example if someone infected sneezes in your face and the droplets from that go into your nose, mouth etc.

The route of contagion isn't as scary as the mortality rate which for this current strain of Ebola ranges from 65-85%. That's the scary part so containment is vital. Hopefully with all the grilling the CDC got in Washington today they will lock down appropriate containment protocols for the nations hospitals and consider some travel restrictions from infected areas to the united states.

The infected 2nd nurse was on 2 flights and possibly symptomatic on them both.  The CDC should be actively isolating all passengers on those flights but I've heard nothing of the sort.

We are probably a few days away from those passengers developing symptoms if they were infected, or anyone on future flights on that plane that sat in her seat, etc.

By then it will be exponentially more difficult to isolate every one the newly infected people were in contact with after becoming symptomatic.

CDC is becoming more incompetent each time we hear more details of every case.  We certainly can't count on them to protect us, but this thing could spiral the economy quickly if people won't leave their homes due to fear factor.

Even if there were just a couple reported cases in SoCal, I'd hesitate to take my family out to dinner, to movies, to Disneyland, etc.  kids touch everything then put their hands in their mouths... Recipe for disaster.

This second nurse never should have gotten permission to fly.  All this worldwide attention on that already bumbling hospital and no one (MDs and PhDs) that talked to this nurse didn't have enough common sense to figure out that her temperature was already elevated at 99.5 even though it wasn't at 100.4?  I know when my kids' temperature is at 99.something that it's usually a matter of time before it goes over 100 and it's time to bring out the Children's Tylenol.  So no one said "hmm, you know, you're on the Ebola monitoring list (or at least had close contact with one of the Ebola patients) and your temp is a little high, you should not fly until your quarantine period is over"?  ::)  If I was that hospital's CEO I would have immediately put all those nurses that had close contact on paid leave with royal treatment (and overtime) but mandatory stay in the deluxe hospital suite for 21 days or however long, especially after that first nurse's infection.

aquabliss said:
The infected 2nd nurse was on 2 flights and possibly symptomatic on them both.  The CDC should be actively isolating all passengers on those flights but I've heard nothing of the sort.

We are probably a few days away from those passengers developing symptoms if they were infected, or anyone on future flights on that plane that sat in her seat, etc.

By then it will be exponentially more difficult to isolate every one the newly infected people were in contact with after becoming symptomatic.

CDC is becoming more incompetent each time we hear more details of every case.  We certainly can't count on them to protect us, but this thing could spiral the economy quickly if people won't leave their homes due to fear factor.

Even if there were just a couple reported cases in SoCal, I'd hesitate to take my family out to dinner, to movies, to Disneyland, etc.  kids touch everything then put their hands in their mouths... Recipe for disaster.

irvinehusky said:
This second nurse never should have gotten permission to fly.  All this worldwide attention on that already bumbling hospital and no one (MDs and PhDs) that talked to this nurse didn't have enough common sense to figure out that her temperature was already elevated at 99.5 even though it wasn't at 100.4?  I know when my kids' temperature is at 99.something that it's usually a matter of time before it goes over 100 and it's time to bring out the Children's Tylenol.  So no one said "hmm, you know, you're on the Ebola monitoring list (or at least had close contact with one of the Ebola patients) and your temp is a little high, you should not fly until your quarantine period is over"?  ::)  If I was that hospital's CEO I would have immediately put all those nurses that had close contact on paid leave with royal treatment (and overtime) but mandatory stay in the deluxe hospital suite for 21 days or however long, especially after that first nurse's infection.

aquabliss said:

Great minds think alike. I told my wife the exact same thing. Almost verbatim. While what you described seems like the obvious way to have handled this and they didn't, is why I say 95% of the population are idiots.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty (or tyler) for weapons... momo for food.

Prolly tyler for location since LagAlt has only two entrances.
qwerty (or tyler) for weapons??  Qwerty is a ('a' with crossover) THE weapon...

eyephone said:
Btw - Ferguson has nothing to do with World War.

But Yalioo might protest the veteran cemetery in Irvine. (just joking)

who is yalioo???  :)

I believe the planes in question were taken out of service.

But I agree, once Ebola was diagnosed, anyone who was in contact with Duncan should have been on lockdown.

Still don't understand how they allowed Vinson, the 2nd nurse, to fly back with a fever. CDC Director said it shouldn't have been allowed but CDC employee was dumb, even if not 100.4, any elevated temperature of someone possibly exposed to Ebola should have been a red flag.

And it gets better (or worse), a 3rd healthcare worker went on a cruise to Belize. She is quarantined and asymptomatic and was not in direct contact with Duncan but considering that Pham and Vinson were diagnosed a few days prior, she should not have been allowed to board that cruise on Sunday.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/health/us-ebola/

This hospital is already going to be sued big time by the original patient's family (and probably by the infected nurses and others forced to care for the Ebola patients without proper equipment and protocol).  All these additional incompetence by the hospital and other organizations will feed the lawyers.

I'm glad the first nurse got transferred to a hospital better able to handle this situation (hopefully). 

qwerty said:
Great minds think alike. I told my wife the exact same thing. Almost verbatim. While what you described seems like the obvious way to have handled this and they didn't, is why I say 95% of the population are idiots.

That hospital is one issue but I really wonder about these nurses, especially the ones that traveled somewhere after the first infected nurse.  If I were one of the nurses, I would have volunteered and asked the hospital to isolate me at the hospital (and definitely reimburse me for it) since I wouldn't want to risk infecting my own family by going home.  I definitely wouldn't be cruising or flying or going to Disneyland after taking care of an Ebola patient.  ::)

irvinehomeowner said:
I believe the planes in question were taken out of service.

But I agree, once Ebola was diagnosed, anyone who was in contact with Duncan should have been on lockdown.

Still don't understand how they allowed Vinson, the 2nd nurse, to fly back with a fever. CDC Director said it shouldn't have been allowed but CDC employee was dumb, even if not 100.4, any elevated temperature of someone possibly exposed to Ebola should have been a red flag.

And it gets better (or worse), a 3rd healthcare worker went on a cruise to Belize. She is quarantined and asymptomatic and was not in direct contact with Duncan but considering that Pham and Vinson were diagnosed a few days prior, she should not have been allowed to board that cruise on Sunday.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/health/us-ebola/

eyephone said:
Is it just me, I believe travel should be stopped to west Africa.

I agree. You have an African passport, you are not getting into the U.S.  Or you have traveled there recently, you are not getting in

Back