Sand Canyon Underpass

Arman

Thank goodness, finally. I hate the Sand Canyon/5 Fwy/railroad intersection. Getting rid of the railroad stop is one improvement. Another would be to synchronize the series of lights at the 5, such that you're not stopped at one light while the light ahead of you is green for no reason, only to have that light turn red when your light turns green. That's still a huge problem at those series of lights. I'm hoping that once they finish everything, they'll figure that out. I had asked the traffic people at Irvine about this, and they said the plan was to synchronize the lights from the 405 all the way to Portola Pkwy. We'll see if that occurs.

From today's OC Register:

ScreenShot2014-08-12at70803AM_zps21f0babc.png

They changed the lanes to get on the 5 south on the southbound travel side.  Lots of cars swerving last minute under the dark freeway to get to the correct two left lanes to get on the 5S onramp.  Need better signage.  If it was my first time driving through, it's pretty much a guaranteed miss. 

"officials celebrate completion"

"took about three years to complete"

"the project is not complete"

So is it complete or not?

ps9 said:
They changed the lanes to get on the 5 south on the southbound travel side.  Lots of cars swerving last minute under the dark freeway to get to the correct two left lanes to get on the 5S onramp.  Need better signage.  If it was my first time driving through, it's pretty much a guaranteed miss.

Yup

ps9 said:

OMG!  Thank you so much for bringing this up!  That is so true!  That underpass is a nightmare!  I know I need to make the lane change but the sudden change from SUPER SUN to UTTER DARKNESS throws me off all the time. 

They need to so fix that up.  Otherwise it'll end up like my own underpass back in Tustin (Red Hill & 5 FWY).  That underpass was better lighted than the Sand Canyon and it still ended up with SOOOO many accidents that after a decade they finally decided to add more signage.  But dang, all the poor drivers that had to get in car accidents for that change to happen was ridiculous.

Back