Famous Daves BBQ coming to the Irvine Marketplace

Dom

The building that used to house Opah (next door to BJs) is being renovated to reopen as a Famous Daves BBQ.

Good BBQ and beer - bring it!  :)

ob1 said:
I predict outrageous wait times.

That parking lot is already nuts in the evenings and on weekends. Add Taps and Famous Daves to the mix. Good times.

We get to walk.  8)

agreed.. last few times I've been there the BBQ has been dried.  wrote them a letter too.. no response.

Lucille's has good apple butter to go along with biscuits and cornbread. The ribs I've always thought were overrated. The best meats there are the tri tip and spicy sausage.

I'm a big Chilis fan.  I dip the fries in the skillet queso. Doesn't get any better than that

iacrenter said:
Which is better: Wood Ranch, Lucille, or Famous Dave?
They're all meh.  Reliable, good not great...pretty much all are CPKish but for BBQ.

If I had to rank FD>WR>Lucille, but all are grouped together.  Go to the one that's closest and has discounted gift cards at Costco.

OCgasman said:
iacrenter said:
They're all meh.  Reliable, good not great...pretty much all are CPKish but for BBQ.

If I had to rank FD>WR>Lucille, but all are grouped together.  Go to the one that's closest and has discounted gift cards at Costco.

True, it's like comparing El Toriito, OTB and Miguel's.

Is there any bbq better than mediocre in or around Irvine, though?

ob1 said:
OCgasman said:
iacrenter said:

ob1 said:
OCgasman said:
iacrenter said:

+1

That is often the more important question in Irvine. Where can you get great food/BBQ versus the mediocre?

It has been discussed many times before but TIC isn't interested in taking chances and loves chain stores/restaurants in their retails spaces. The Irvine dining scene although improving, is still full of the mediocre and boring.

iacrenter said:
ob1 said:
OCgasman said:
iacrenter said:

ob1 said:
OCgasman said:
iacrenter said:

+1

That is often the more important question in Irvine. Where can you get great food/BBQ versus the mediocre?

It has been discussed many times before but TIC isn't interested in taking chances and loves chain stores/restaurants in their retails spaces. The Irvine dining scene although improving, is still full of the mediocre and boring.

At least it's expensive though.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/closure-373038-closures-restaurant.html

"After a 15-year run in Irvine, El Cholo Mexican restaurant is closing because it couldn't renew its lease. "It is with much regret that we must inform you our impending move," the restaurant states on its website. "We did our best to stay, but were unable to renegotiate our lease and will remain at this location until August." Owner Ron Salisbury said the Irvine Co. wants to replace El Cholo with a restaurant that generates more revenue. The landlord, as part of the lease agreement, gets a percentage of sales, Salisbury said. "The (Irvine) restaurant was doing really well, but not well enough for them,? he said. Salisbury said he will open new location on Pacific Coast Highway in Corona Del Mar in the fall. He's taken over the lease of Landmark, he said. El Cholo's parent company The Restaurant Business operates The Cannery in Newport Beach. El Cholo has other locations in Los Angeles (2), La Habra, Anaheim Hills and Santa Monica."

Hmm.

So the Irvine company charge lease plus a % of the sales for restaurants?

Back