Sizzlin' Summer Concerts

ps99472

park_zps8cc6f6e1.jpg

These were fun last year, gonna go again.  Pack a picnic, bottle of wine, forget the food trucks, lines too long and you'll be away from your friends/family for a long time.  Enjoy the music

0EF68068-9738-48D5-8A5E-C415FC75E276_zpsfdllnxif.jpg

Damn umbrellas, put some sunblock on! 

Tips:  avoid getting too close to the stage, gets crowded and some crass family will set up a foot away from your face without asking you if it's ok.  The nerve.

Passed by the Springsteen one today.

Sounded pretty good... actually went because I wanted to try one of the food trucks out but the lines were too long.

Was it the stuffed burger truck?  That looked pretty good but I was too lazy to stand in line. The Viking Truck was there as well.  You should've stayed, the music, though not my taste, was performed well by the Springsteen tribute band.  Good stage presence, no drop/break in between songs.  Kept the older crowd going! 

The music was pretty true to The Boss. I was there for Born in The USA (that was near the end?).

Did Courtney Cox show up for Dancing in the Dark?

I've seen that stuffed burger truck (GDBro) in different places in Irvine... maybe I'll try again next week.

I wish they have more Asian food, maybe a ramen truck?

Wait, probably too dangerous grabbing a hot soup bowl from those high food truck windows. 

Boo.

Lines at the food trucks weren't bad, finally tried the Piaggio Truck... just the empenadas and chimichurri fries... pretty good.

GDBro was a consideration but I wasn't in the mood for a burger.

It was country slanted but they did quite a few covers of different genres of hits from all the decades, R&B, rock, pop etc. It ranged from line dance songs to Happy by Pharell.

At least the weather was really cool.

Necro'd for 2015!

I found out there are actually 2 different summer concert series in Woodbridge. One is put on by City of Irvine (the ones on Sundays and at Mike Ward Community Park) and the other is by the Woodbridge HOA (the ones on Saturdays near the North Lake Gazebo).

We went to yesterday's because it was the same band we heard last year, Stone Soul, and they were good. But the HOA event is inferior to City of Irvine's. Much smaller area to sit so it's harder to see, stage is small, sound not that good, no food trucks and parking was father away depending on how early you got there.

City of Irvine Summer Concerts:
http://www.cityofirvine.org/news-media/calendar-of-events/event/sizzlin-summer-concerts

The Sizzlin' Summer Concerts is a series of free, family-friendly concerts. Gourmet food trucks and a children's play area will also be available. A portion of the proceeds from food sales will benefit Irvine nonprofit organizations.
This year's performances will include:
Sunday, July 12 - Paperback Writer: The Beatles Experience will take the audience on a journey back in time, when the Beatles was the world's most popular rock group.
Sunday, July 19 - Symphony in the Cities Join us for a must-do summer tradition - a free outdoor concert by Pacific Symphony, led by Music Director Carl St. Clair who is celebrating his 26th season with the Symphony! A "Musical Playground" for children takes place at 5:30 p.m. Concert begins at 7 p.m.
Sunday, July 26 - Savor: Santana Tribute Band
Sunday, August 2 - King Kruk as Elvis
Sunday, August 9 - Hot August Night: Tribute to Neil Diamond
Sunday, August 16 - Bella Donna: A Tribute to Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks
Concerts start at 5:30 p.m; Pacific Symphony in the Cities concert starts at 7 p.m.
For more information, call 949-724-6606.
Things to bring: chairs, blankets, sweatshirts, picnics or plan on enjoying a specialty item from one of the gourmet food trucks. Long pants, closed toed shoes and layered clothing are strongly recommended.

Woodbridge HOA Summer Concerts:
http://www.wva.org/page/21440~666418/Upcoming-Events

Summer Concerts on the Lake

We have scheduled a number of free Concerts on the Lake at the North Lake Gazebo for your enjoyment this summer.  Join us for these highly popular events, which will feature different styles of music, while providing the perfect opportunity for a picnic on the lawn with friends! Concerts are currently scheduled for the following Saturdays (dates are subject to change).

Saturday, June 27th - 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.  - StoneSoul (Classic Soul)

Saturday, July 18th - 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. - Kelly Rae (Country Band)

Saturday, August 8th - 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. - World Tour Legends of Rock (Rock n' Roll)

Saturday, August 29th - 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. - Catch a Wave (Beach Boys Tribute)

Cool, love this time of year.  Pacific symphony is decent and can't beat free.  And you want get cold called afterwards :)

Speaking of cold, a decent trek over to sticky fingers for shaved ice during concert?  There's that pedestrian bridge that goes straight into the Woodbridge shopping center.  If parking overflows near the senior center might as well park at the shopping center. 

We'll probably go to a couple of these, very relaxing Sunday night before heading into the weekly work grind. 

Drive me cookie, lobo truck, sonos tacos, some hamburger truck, and a Popsicles cart.  Weak.  Can't beat my leftover Earl of Sandwich lunch leftovers from DT Disney

image_zpsvxjiwvgb.jpg

Get there early, last year was packed.  Praying for a shaved ice truck to show up.  Overflow parking at the tennis courts across the street.  A good place to drop off heavy stuff or people who can't walk far is the little roundabout behind the senior center on the far right side as you enter the parking lot.  It leads directly to the stage and bypasses the mob near the food trucks.

I was wondering if they were going to still have it as it was supposed to rain today too... although it's looking pretty clear right now.

EDIT: BTW, did you find this out from the City of Irvine app? It sent me a notification about the move... heh.

image_zps2ytzzgr4.jpg

It was packed, got stuck behind the orchestra, super loud, hard to hear the vocals with all the reverb.  Still enjoyable though.  If you thought Mayor Choi is hard to understand try sitting behind the orchestra :)

@IHO,  nope don't have the Irvine city app, checked the website and got the info.  Also got an email later today bout it as well. 

Back