New to this forum: need advice

Irvine1stTimer

I'm new member of this forum need expert advice please.
We moved in US three years ago, so pretty new to almost every thing here :)

Looking to buy our 1st home, it's at Luna at portola springs.
Question , we like the floor plan but backyard/patio is very small it's only 7*22 ( 7 feet wide and 22 feet long), priced around 625k,detached condo is 1600 sqft.
Please advice, patio being very small at this price point would matter much at the time of resale?
Thank you for reading this.

Buy a house that you like, and don't worry about resale unless you're a professional flipper. Everything is factored in when you resell. Hard to find any bargains in new construction. If a big yard important to you then you have many other options. If not, then you can buy in Irvine.

Joe61022 said:
Buy a house that you like, and don't worry about resale unless you're a professional flipper. Everything is factored in when you resell. Hard to find any bargains in new construction. If a big yard important to you then you have many other options. If not, then you can buy in Irvine.

Why would you buy a house you don't like? ;)

To answer your question, I personally think small patio shouldn't be a problem. I have seen several condos in irvine with tiny or no patio

eyephone said:
Joe61022 said:

Because you're worried about the resale value of the one you do like. You know, the whole point of this thread.

Joe61022 said:
eyephone said:
Joe61022 said:

Because you're worried about the resale value of the one you do like. You know, the whole point of this thread.
Joe61022 said:
eyephone said:
Joe61022 said:

Joe61022 : I'm sorry , I couldn't understand your last message. When you buy something so expensive I think it's natural to think about resale.

At that price point in Irvine you're not going to find any new construction with any size yard regardless... If you can stretch it a bit, look at Sage II in Portola Springs, they have some decent size lots for detached condos and if you can get a plan 2 with 4 bed on a good size lot and nobody behind you, I think it would have a much better chance of rising.

agree with Aquabliss... you're not going to get much yard anywhere at that price point.  If you have to be in Irvine, take what you can get that you'd be happy with.  If you look at resale, it's going to be a starter home for most folks. 

jmoney74 said:
agree with Aquabliss... you're not going to get much yard anywhere at that price point.  If you have to be in Irvine, take what you can get that you'd be happy with.  If you look at resale, it's going to be a starter home for most folks.

All yards in Irvine are small.  If you want big you aren't going to be in the $600K range.  If you want a bigger yard, then you'll have to start in the upper $800K price with new construction homes. 

With older homes, you'll might have to end up with a zerolot property.  Yes, I know, I've looked.  I wanted a big backyard too for the kids.  But I wasn't willing to settle for zerolot properties.

If you want to start in the $600K, then that's what you'll have to settle for in Irvine.  Worrying about resale is not an issue at this point because when you resale there's a TON of factors besides just a small yard for people to consider.  Plus look at their competition ... who else in Irvine has a BIGGG yard in the new construction AND starts at $600K??

It's not like your buying a 1 bedroom with a small yard ... now that will have issues when you resale ... but not because of the small yard.

By the way, smaller yard means smaller landscaping project.  *wink* *wink*

eyephone said:
As long as you can fit a Weber BBQ grill in your patio, you should be fine.  ;D

+1

Irvine1stTimer said:
Looking to buy our 1st home, it's at Luna at portola springs.
Question , we like the floor plan but backyard/patio is very small it's only 7*22 ( 7 feet wide and 22 feet long), priced around 625k,detached condo is 1600 sqft.
Please advice, patio being very small at this price point would matter much at the time of resale?

Agreed with others on resale as at that price range in Irvine you're not going to find an actual patio/backyard.

Not to throw more options at you but have you looked at Jade Court in Cypress Village? Its from the same builder and I believe plan 4 is the most popular (downstairs bedroom in a 1600 sq ft).

We took a look at Luna in Portola Spring too and thought the equivalent at Jade Court was much nicer (though it may be pricier at this point).

Before you ask, no real patio/backyard too ;)

I echo the sentiments of those who posted before me.  I would add two things

1)  If the yard is a big deal to you, the newer builds (and probably Irvine) is not for you.  Personally, I have no problems with a small yard because I don't use it and it's cheaper to landscape and care for.  Distance to neighbor is a concern.

2)  I think you have Irvine sticker shock.  $625K is a big chunk of change but in Irvine, it's basically starting level. 

Irvinecommuter said:
2)  I think you have Irvine sticker shock.  $625K is a big chunk of change but in Irvine, it's basically starting level.

Yes for a detached condo, that's an average price.  Comes with a garage too, right? 

ZeroLot said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Yes for a detached condo, that's an average price.  Comes with a garage too, right?

Small detached condo...Jade Court start at low $600Ks.

Acacia (attached condo) plan 4 is at mid-$500Ks.

Try  Portola Springs.  Newport Coast is built on top of an old dump and despite what people here say, I don't think it smells at all.  Elementary school will bus kids for one year.  New high school on the horizon.  Guess what?  Best teachers are hand picked for new schools AND the teachers that move are not the lazy ones because it takes a staff more work to open new school.  Check it out.  :)

irvinehomeowner said:
paperboyNC said:
The main area of my patio is a little over 20'x20' which gives us some space.
And you live in Irvine? :)

Yes. Mine is actually smaller than most of the ones in our development. A 20'x20' area is the minimum Van Daele gave each home. Other than the square area I have a 5' setback to the wall (total of 10' to the neighbors house).

Back