PSA: DO NOT hire Royal Construction Pavers!!!

tjmaxx77

I wanted to warn everybody about this company. The guy running it is named Benjamin Moa. His license# is 800110.
I hired the guy on July 7th for some pavers installation on a 300sf patio and to this day (July 25th) HIS IS STILL NOT DONE!!
He told me it would take 3 days and we are going on 3 weeks now.
The guy and his crew will show up for 2-3 hours per day. Most of the time at 4 pm and they are gone at 6 pm.
His work is questionable.  When I asked why he only took out 2 inches of the soil he claimed it was enough when all guidelines online, ALOHA pavers and paver manufacturers are recommending 6 to 8 inches. I had to make him dig more  for it. 
His solution to a door not opening was to cut it.
Here are a few on the excuses I got from him:
Death in the family I will be back on Friday( 1st week). This is after he took my $800 check.
Pavers are out of stock for the next 2 weeks. I called ORCO paving in Stanton the next day and they told me they were in stock.
We need to rent the tool so no work today. We will be back tomorrow.
It took 10 days to get him to remove the trash.
Don't expect refund if you make changes but you will pay more.
HE is a nightmare. No work ethic, lazy and a cheat.
You are warned! DO NOT HIRE HIM!!

Hiring any of these landscapers / hardscapers is so questionable in general.  Very little reviews, hard to find background info,don't know how long they've been in business, etc.

Best way is to get someone who your friend/family/neighbor has had a good experience with.  Otherwise it's a roll of the dice.

zubs said:
Sometimes you should just do it yourself.
Every time you walk on it you'll feel like the man.
People who have the skills to landscape their yard do not buy in Irvine... they buy in Tustin at Columbus Square.

#ADayWithoutAQwerchete

irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:
People who have the skills to landscape their yard do not buy in Irvine... they buy in Tustin at Columbus Square.

#ADayWithoutAQwerchete

I like that. I think I am the only one here who does their own lawn.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:

#ADayWithoutAQwerchete

I like that. I think I am the only one here who does their own lawn.

You're the only one here that has a lawn... Everyone has a shared courtyard or something..  :p

aquabliss said:
Hiring any of these landscapers / hardscapers is so questionable in general.  Very little reviews, hard to find background info,don't know how long they've been in business, etc.

Best way is to get someone who your friend/family/neighbor has had a good experience with.  Otherwise it's a roll of the dice.

So true. I was hesitant to hire him at first but he was the only one that was able to get it done right away so I rolled the dice and he was the contractor from hell. He still hasn't compacted the pavers. HE came on Thursday to spray joint sand and when I called him on Friday he said they needed to settle for 4 to 5 days before being compacted. I called ORCO and a few contractors all told me it was supposed to be compacted right away.
I am taking him to small claim and reporting him to the state license board. I don't want to see pavers popping up in 6 months when they are supposed to last 20 years.

How much are Home Depot day laborers these days?
Is it $100/day plus lunch?
work from pickup until 5pm?

zubs said:
How much are Home Depot day laborers these days?
Is it $100/day plus lunch?
work from pickup until 5pm?

i would say that as long as you pay them $9/hour that seems fair since you are providing a full days worth of work.

Back