Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

yaliu07 said:
There might be a Veterans Cemetery coming at Great Park.

If you don't want to have a Cemetery at Great Park, please go protest tomorrow 07/22 at 3:30pm and don't vote for Larry Agran any more.
http://www.voiceofoc.org/county/article_f3ba519e-10b1-11e4-af02-001a4bcf887a.html

PS.  Really really want to buy Qwerty bat right now

Wow this is big news. I was just joking with Mr. Z the other day about a big cemetery in Irvine. 

However if it's a Veteran's Cemetery it's not as bad as a regular one.  Used to live right next to the National Veterans Cemetery in LA for a couple years, it wasn't bad.  Most people are very respectful of the property and it always got cleaned and decked out for 4th of July and Veteran's Day.  I saw no wondering ghosts either.

yaliu07 said:

If you don't want to have a Cemetery at Great Park, please go protest tomorrow 07/22 at 3:30pm and don't vote for Larry Agran any more.
http://www.voiceofoc.org/county/article_f3ba519e-10b1-11e4-af02-001a4bcf887a.html

Why would you protest?  This is a cemetery and memorial for ppl that have served and fought for our country.  The great park is huge.  I think it's a nice gesture to our armed forces.

OCgasman said:
yaliu07 said:

Why would you protest?  This is a cemetery and memorial for ppl that have served and fought for our country.  The great park is huge.  I think it's a nice gesture to our armed forces.

I hope this becomes the most "thanked" post on TI.

I don't think the fact that it's a Veteran's cemetery will keep people from protesting.

People just don't like cemeteries, whether it be because of fear of Casper (or Sgt. Casper), increased traffic in the surrounding area, perception of decreasing real estate value, etc etc.

You have to be honest, would you live next to a cemetery... even a Veteran's one... paying Irvine prices?

OCgasman said:
yaliu07 said:

If I knew there will be any cemetery (including Veterans), I will NEVER purchase the house.  If you dont mind Veterans cemetery, I will gladly sell my house to you.

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I don't think the fact that it's a Veteran's cemetery will keep people from protesting.

People just don't like cemeteries, whether it be because of fear of Casper (or Sgt. Casper), increased traffic in the surrounding area, perception of decreasing real estate value, etc etc.

You have to be honest, would you live next to a cemetery... even a Veteran's one... paying Irvine prices?

Well that's the point. Will it be "next to" PP?  No. I mean heck I hate the giant orange balloon at the great park but honestly that thing is probably closer to other irvine developments than PP.
Distance is relative... even if it was on the opposite side of GP at the furthest corner from PP, people will protest.

Is the Musick Jail "next to" PP? Not really... but it comes up in the discussion.

Most people don't think the Great Balloon is haunted unless your are Charlie Brown.

OCgasman said:
yaliu07 said:

This is a direct clash of cultures.  Americans have a long tradition of honoring veterans and soldiers.  This is not true in many Asian cultures.  Most Asian cultures see soldiers as "necessary" but not honor-worthy.  Several Asian countries have mandatory service (i.e. S.K, Taiwan, and Singapore) that a lot of people actually dislike because it takes 2 years away from prime academic learning time. 

On the other hand, many Asian cultures have visceral aversion to cemetery and it would greatly diminish home values having to live next to one. 

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Well that's the point. Will it be "next to" PP?  No. I mean heck I hate the giant orange balloon at the great park but honestly that thing is probably closer to other irvine developments than PP.

You hate the crown jewel of GP? 
That's like saying you hate orange bicycles.  #sacrelig

WTTCMN said:
O Hills said:
You hate the crown jewel of GP? 
That's like saying you hate orange bicycles.  #sarcelig

Ok lemme clue you in here. If you hashtag - you have to spell it right. #category3

Damn it, i was trying so hard to be cool. #canttypeforshit

thatOSguy said:
Protesting a Veteran's cemetery... Way to represent Irvine to the world!

BTW, is this substantiated? Anecdotes from PP are such that the demographic is diverse, not concentrated:

At the same time, FivePoint Communities, the developer of thousands of homes around the park, has been concerned about how the cemetery would impact home sales. They are planning to sell most of their units to buyers from Asia, and a cemetery near the neighborhood is considered bad feng shui.

It may not be "concentrated" but I would imagine that a significant portion of the buyers are Asian.

thatOSguy said:
Protesting a Veteran's cemetery... Way to represent Irvine to the world!
This.  I think if it was just a regular commercial cemetery planned, a protest might gain some traction.  But protesting a Veteran's Cemetery and Memorial...I could see that being viewed as unAmerican and disrespectful to ppl that have lost their lives in service for our country, especially since the Great Park is supposed to be for all of Orange County, not just Irvine.  What is some FOB going to say when a reporter puts a microphone in front of his face asking why he's protesting a Veteran's memorial?

Back