Cost per Square Foot per Village?

meameame12

Hi,

Would anyone know any link / reference source which illuminates us potential buyers into the avg or expected cost, per square foot, per village?

There is no way for me to determine whether a home is over-priced, under-priced, or fairly priced--irrespective of the equity a home owner may or may not have in their home.

Thanks

Unless you are dying for the ocean breeze, DO NOT BUY Turtle Ridge resales. They are at nearly $900/sf! Laguna Altura is not a good deal either after foreign buyers decided to start buying the homes there like crazy. They are at about $600/sf. Turtle Rock might be a good deal, but they are really old. If you care primarily about price per square feet and University High as well as a coastal location, go with Quail Hill. Those are relatively new and some have nice views of the Irvine Spectrum.

Woodbridge and Westpark are O.K., but don't expect it to appreciate at all.

Northwood, Northpark, Northwood Pointe, etc. are more pricey but the homes there are more traditional and parks are more abundant there.

Therefore, for resales:

1. Quail Hill
2. Northwood, Northpark, Northwood Pointe, etc.

If you're looking at new homes, here are your choices:

1. Cypress Village
2. Stonegate
3. Pavilion Park and Other Great Park Neighborhoods
4. Orchard Hills
5. Portola Springs
6. Northwood Paseo (anticipated 2015)
7. Hidden Canyon (anticipated 2015)

Unless you have more than $2.5 million, Hidden Canyon is not a good idea. The cheaper homes in Cypress Village are too close to the freeway, but Jade Court has a potential for appreciation in the future (some are less than $400/sf there). The larger homes are pretty good and are set in an urban environment. Unless you can afford $900K base for a home, Stonegate is out. Otherwise, Mendocino is pretty good. Sausalito is a joke.

Pavilion Park and Great Park Neighborhoods have gone through a lot of appreciation already, but I feel there's still room to go. However, mello-roos is ridiculous there and they are currently really isolated until more homes are built there. Portola Springs is way too close to the landfill, which will be active until the 2050s. I don't recommend you buy there.

Northwood Paseo is more promising. The larger homes will have huge lots and they are set in a nice location, close to trails and not too close to any landfills or freeways. Orchard Hills just opened and that will be the best chance of appreciation in Irvine currently. The homes are a bit pricey, but the location is extremely rare, with orchards (as of now; soon they will be terminated and HOAs will soar) and ocean views. The gated side starts at $1.4 million and expect the prices here in the future here to be between $600/sf and $800/sf. They are currently only $400/sf. HOAs are only $279 a month, so consider this. Capella is too overpriced. If you're looking there, it's better to look at La Vita or even Messina.

Overall,...

1. Hidden Canyon (if it applies to you)
2. Orchard Hills excluding Capella
3 (tied). Stonegate excluding Sausalito
3 (tied). Cypress Village
4. Northwood Paseo
5. Pavilion Park and Great Park Neighborhoods
6. Capella
7. Sausalito
8. Portola Springs

$400/sf is the norm for new homes. $350/sf is the norm for resales, as long as it is not in a pricey area. If a home is above $450/sf, you might want to think about it a while. If it is below the norm, expect there to be a hidden problem.

meameame12 said:
Hi,

Would anyone know any link / reference source which illuminates us potential buyers into the avg or expected cost, per square foot, per village?

There is no way for me to determine whether a home is over-priced, under-priced, or fairly priced--irrespective of the equity a home owner may or may not have in their home.

Thanks

Redfin is your friend.  You can use it to search by village and compare list vs close prices

thanks for the input--our max is 900k, but we'd like to stay around 800k. we've 4 kids, so are now thinking of orchard hills. landfills? are there landfills in irvine?

we currently are working with hanu reddy real estate + kinecta credit union--any experience with either? for nj standards, kinecta is too laid back.

we are here, in irvine, just til friday, am from nj, and need to buy prior to leaving.

today, heading to orchard hills.

northwood is out b/c there are no pools.

irvineboy said:
Excluding capella?

So all the non gated is a good buy?

Yeah, that's his opinion and is probably wrong depending on when/where you buy.
Because Capella is so popular and selling so quickly, they're a few phases ahead of most of the other neighborhoods.
(By the time the others get to Ph. 4, they may have raised their prices several times.)
There may come a time when Capella loses its appeal as the least expensive option, but that time hasn't come yet- IMO.

Capella is nearly at the price of La Vita, and since La Vita is about 500 sf larger than Capella (without any options) and has a view, Capella is a rip-off.

??? said:
Capella is nearly at the price of La Vita, and since La Vita is about 500 sf larger than Capella (without any options) and has a view, Capella is a rip-off.

Wrong for a couple reasons:

--  The current homes (and next few phases) of La Vita have no view, while Capella's next phase homes have great views.

--  Check the pricing again, one home fell out of the preceding phase, but the current phase is approx $1.6M starting v. Capella at $1.4M ish. 

--  LV Ph. 4 pricing wont be close to Capella Ph. 4 pricing.

Homes in 800K-900K range in Irvine:

Magnolia at Cypress Village (used to be only $830K, but now $910K): SFR, but on a motor court. HOAs are low.

Mendocino at Stonegate ($930K): nice location and SFR with great elementary school in the village.

Beachwood at Pavilion Park ($872K): last phase SFR with ENORMOUS lot, but mello-roos is high and you only get 1700 sf.

Corte Bella at Orchard Hills ($830K): detached condo with good location; consider the Plan 2 at $855K.

Terrazza at Orchard Hills ($855K): detached condo with good location next to groves and shopping center; zoned to TUSD, so appreciation in the future might be a bit low.

If you can afford an SFR, go for it. In detached condos, you don't even own the land your house sits on. Otherwise, Orchard Hills is the way to go.

O Hills said:
??? said:

Wrong for a couple reasons:

--  The current homes (and next few phases) of La Vita have no view, while Capella's next phase homes have great views.

--  Check the pricing again, one home fell out of the preceding phase, but the current phase is approx $1.6M starting v. Capella at $1.4M ish. 

--  LV Ph. 4 pricing wont be close to Capella Ph. 4 pricing.

La Vita homes with no views??? What lot numbers are they? I thought only Plan 3s have no views? All La Vita homes would have a view, whether it would be of the freeway or the apartments. And, Capella Phase 11 (the next phase open) will be similar to La Vita Phase 4 after the crowd comes.

P.S. La Vita 7000-11000 sf lots vs. Capella 3000 sf. lot???? I don't think so.

Paris167 said:
irvineboy said:
Excluding capella?

yes apparently according to our "experts" here on TI  ::)

I didn't know you were an expert either, Paris whatever the number stands for. You yourself didn't even know about the grove demolitions in the future. Tsk, tsk. And, I never said that I was an expert either. Before you post anything in TI in the future, make sure you verify your facts first.  ;)

??? said:
Paris167 said:
irvineboy said:
Excluding capella?

yes apparently according to our "experts" here on TI  ::)

I didn't know you were an expert either, Paris whatever the number stands for. You yourself didn't even know about the grove demolitions in the future. Tsk, tsk. And, I never said that I was an expert either. Before you post anything in TI in the future, make sure you verify your facts first.  ;)

See my previous post-- do your research before you chastize someone for not having their facts straight.

meameame12 said:
thanks for the input--our max is 900k, but we'd like to stay around 800k. we've 4 kids, so are now thinking of orchard hills. landfills? are there landfills in irvine?

we currently are working with hanu reddy real estate + kinecta credit union--any experience with either? for nj standards, kinecta is too laid back.

we are here, in irvine, just til friday, am from nj, and need to buy prior to leaving.

There is a landfill in Irvine. The Bowerman landfill (a.k.a. Bee Canyon Landfill) is located just north of Portola Springs and is scheduled to close in 2051. It is currently active, though. The 241 separates Portola Springs from the landfill, but the sheer proximity will scare some people, I'm sure.  :)

6313287478_16d8b96bd7_z.jpg

meameame12 said:

1.. Cut your RE agent and go with USC Trojan
2.  If you're buying new, probably just go with builder's lender.  Sometimes they also give incentives. 

O Hills said:
irvineboy said:
Excluding capella?

Yeah, that's his opinion and is probably wrong depending on when/where you buy.
Because Capella is so popular and selling so quickly, they're a few phases ahead of most of the other neighborhoods.
(By the time the others get to Ph. 4, they may have raised their prices several times.)
There may come a time when Capella loses its appeal as the least expensive option, but that time hasn't come yet- IMO.

I didn't know you were a fortune teller either. If you were so good at it, why aren't you looking at Trevi or Hidden Canyon??? (cough, cough) And, make sure to read things first before responding.

"Capella's next open phase will be Phase 11"

P.S. Make sure you check your research skills before you question someone else's. I know I'm not the most "techy" person, but I am confident that I do my research thoroughly.

Back