Design center questions

thezeb00

Going through cal pacific design center for upgrades.

Would you consider having can lights in the bedrooms(625$ for 4) or fans outlets only?

Fan outlets are 325$ each.

Do design center offer any discounts

We chose at least 2 cans for each bedroom and a jbox for fan in every room. Even if you don't want it now if you want it later you already have it in place.

$325 for the jbox sounds pricey - Taylor Morrison charges $215

thezeb00 said:

Would you consider having can lights in the bedrooms(625$ for 4) or fans outlets only?

As I know, DC doesn't offer discounts. The upgrade options have already deducted from standard.

If I were you, I would do the can lights in DC.

We did cans and Jbox in master and office. The guest and second bedroom we just did Jbox. Figure we'd get fan with a light.

Agree, that sounds steep for the jbox and the canned lights. I would definitely do the canned lights in every bedroom, including living and dining room. We did 2 in every room except for living and master bedroom where we did 4. The LED bulbs aren't cheap and the 2 cans for the smaller rooms provide more than enough light.

We only put a jbox for the fan in the master. Personal preference if you think you're going to install in the secondary bedrooms.

Paris167 said:
We chose at least 2 cans for each bedroom and a jbox for fan in every room. Even if you don't want it now if you want it later you already have it in place.

$325 for the jbox sounds pricey - Taylor Morrison charges $215
You should do 4 in the master. Did you put extra can lights in the great room?

thezeb00 said:

Do the 4 can lights for the bedrooms and great room. Also, get the fan for the great room/master room.

Saves room, don't have a lamp that you can knock over with an ugly cord snaking to the wall outlet.

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:
just wondering what is value of can lights in bedrooms? Floor lamps should be cheaper option

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:
just wondering what is value of can lights in bedrooms? Floor lamps should be cheaper option

The brightness of a bedroom with 4 canned lights is much better than any lamp or ceiling fan with lights can provide. And the canned lights are on a dimmer as well.

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:
I used to be of the same opinion... but recessed lighting (what I call "can lights"),  you realize how much more convenient it is.

The only inconvenience is if you have high ceilings and can't get to them but then you use LED bulbs and won't have to change them for decades.

Why do you guys need a jbox in the master if you don't have fans? Where is it located? Its not the box in the master closet is it?

They never even asked.

irvineboy said:
Why do you guys need a jbox in the master if you don't have fans? Where is it located? Its not the box in the master closet is it?

They never even asked.

We got a Jbox in the master for a chandelier - I like that look in the master  :)

IMHO, recessed lighting in every room is a must.  Floor lamps are a poor substitute and will never give you the even distributed light that recessed lighting provides.  Furthermore, I think every bedroom should have a minimum of four recessed lights, 2 is too dim without enough coverage.

I'm also a huge proponent of ceiling fans in the bedrooms as well as other rooms where it won't interfere too much with decor.  The air circulation helps tremendously with cooling/heating.  I would never buy a ceiling fan from the builder, unless they actually had the fan I wanted for less than retail, which never happens cuz the DC selection is very limited and expensive.  The absolute best selection of ceiling fans in the OC is Trading Post Fan Company in Huntington Beach.  Installing a ceiling fan is an easy DIY job.

WTTCMN said:
thatOSguy said:
So for those chintzing on canned lights - on our remodel, we intended to put them in every room, but ran into a major snag upstairs - no adequate space, especially for four equally spaced lights. We had two electricians try over a day each - no dice. Our attic is apparently overbuilt with some crazy truss system, plus the ceilings have double drywall so studfinders are useless. We were only able to add cans downstairs.

Bottom line, have the builder #dothecans.

but you bought a 10+ year old resale home!  #resaleneednotapply #dothecans #dothefans

Oh, so you have personal knowledge that all new homes don't have this issue? You getting all ZeroLot up in the attics?

Back