Which reason would you consider NOT to buy the house?

Which reason would you consider NOT to buy the house? Just pick one.

• Tiny house but with a big backyard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less full Bathroom (as 5 bedroom 2.5 bathroom)

• Poor construction or poor design exterior

• Neighbors are too close to each other

• The builder company (low reputation)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am thinking to buy a house but it's so difficult to make a decision. I know there are lots of reasons and I believe nothing is perfect. If you pick one, which one is the most important? Of course house price is the main. So I didn't post it.

eyephone said:
It sounds like your not ready to buy a house.

Of course I am ready to buy a house. For me, I would pick floor plan in priority. Then I would consider the construction and design details. If floor plan is not working to me, I always want to break that wall.

NewIrvineBee said:
Then I would consider the construction and design details.

Your kidding right? Your talking about tract homes by mass production builders. Prepare to be disappointed

I agree... location first... but isn't that why everyone argues about which village is better even if they are all in Irvine?

Paris167 said:
....But all this "near Landfills" and "near freeways" is just people trying to find something wrong with an overall wonderful place. Have you guys ever been out of Irvine in some other LA suburbia city? Any part of Irvine looks heavenly in comparison. I think people love Irvine so much (in addition to the great schools etc) because it is so aesthetically pleasing, convenient and a great place to raise your family.  .

That's truth.

qwerty said:
NewIrvineBee said:
Then I would consider the construction and design details.

Your kidding right? Your talking about tract homes by mass production builders. Prepare to be disappointed

Tract homes were built ever nice after WWII.  The concept worked because of the mass production era, much like the model T. 

Any home construction there will be problems.  However there is a nice uniform look to everything being the same. 

If you really want custom buy a used home somewhere, like in Northpark (no association oversight), tear down the house, and build from scratch. 

It's hard to pick just one but the first would have to be "location, location, location".  Being next to the freeway and/or lots of noise is a big no no.  Your home is supposed to be a refuge.  Being next to a freeway is not only annoying, it's also hazardous to the health of your family.

Second would probably the job/shopping thing. 

Everything is else is fixable (remodeling) or relatively minor.

Paris167 said:
NewIrvineBee said:
I can see People do care about "Location - Close to freeway or pollution or Noise or landfill etc" .

I agree, Location is #1 - this is why people have different preferences for different Irvine Villages

But all this "near Landfills" and "near freeways" is just people trying to find something wrong with an overall wonderful place. Have you guys ever been out of Irvine in some other LA suburbia city? Any part of Irvine looks heavenly in comparison. I think people love Irvine so much (in addition to the great schools etc) because it is so aesthetically pleasing, convenient and a great place to raise your family.

I was trying to get my husband to consider other parts of OC since you get so much more for the $$ but every other city has power lines above ground and he didn't want to live close to it - he thought it was carcinogenic  ::) That tells you how spoiled you get living in Irvine.

And yes you are purchasing a tract home but you think of it as a blank slate and you can semi-custom it after the purchase to make it your own.

Location you cannot change after purchase but design definitely (for the most part)

I agree with this idea generally but you are paying a high premium to live in Irvine so we are just talking about relative issues. 

About tearing down a home... I think ZeroLot meant NorthWOOD, not NorthPARK.

For real estate, as we have all heard, the first 3 rules is location, location, location.

That applies to Irvine:

1. Location: Which village in Irvine?
2. Location: Which tract in that village?
3. Location: Which house in that tract?

All are equally important.

As much as you can change the design of a house, any of those locations are bad... it won't mean a thing.

In the last 3 homes I've lived in, this is the breakdown:

House 1:
Village: Good
Tract: Okay
House: Bad

House 2:
Village: Okay
Tract: Good
House: Bad

House 3:
Village: Good
Tract: Good
House: Okay

All 3 had good designs... but a bad location kills it. House 3 was my favorite and it had probably the worst design and was the most expensive... but the location trumped everything.

But that's me. Many people can live with location issues... for others, it's slamming door issues, or smoking neighbor issues, or missing trashcan issues, or too many FCB issues (which is location related).

toxic soil. Like Augusta in Columbus Square - if I need to immediately seek medical attention after touching the plants there, why the hell I want to raise my family there?

Back