Sticker SHOCK after 1st Design Center Visit

DC is best for cabinets, counters, backsplash, bathroom tiles etc. 

Paint, shutters, crown, fixtures are cheaper outside.

Havent compared flooring yet-- but it's usually much cheaper outside.

(Check with your builder b/c the garage is usually insulated at ceiling and 3 walls, so may not need to upgrade there.)

The things that will be difficult to do later but make life much better (electrical, insulation, lighting, sound, plumbing, outlets- anything in the walls) you would be better off doing through the design center.  Some of our neighbors bought, then waited as they tore out everything that was basic and put in their own flooring, paint, window coverings, counters, etc.  You have to plan lots of time and money after buying.  Rent back is part of what people do to accomplish this.  The hassle needs to be considered.  Window coverings, crown molding, landscape seem to me easier to do when you occupy a residence.  The rest are a pain in the neck if you live in the home.

You have insulation above the garage, if there is a living space above it.  Any living space next to the wall will have insulation.

I swear homebuilders are just trying to rip people off.  Did u ask for an option price list prior to contract?  Shea and standard pacific were able to give me one pretty easy and I wasnt even that interested.

Isnt white thermofoil standard on the cabinetry?

Paris167 said:
So white thermafoil is the standard cabinet but it looks so cheap and basically it's a whole house cabinet upgrade or nothing. I wanted to upgrade the cabinet a bit more than that standard cheap looking thermafoil

You just made enemies with like 90% of the people here who have white thermofoil in their brand new homes :)

To the OP:  Sorry about your sticker shock.  We definitely had some of that when we saw the price list initially.  Unfortunately, like other businesses who have a monopoly, builders can gouge you.  Car manufacturers for example charge you a lot of money for upgrades that you can do a lot cheaper aftermarket (i.e. Nav systems/backup camera).

I would say that there are "bargains" to be had.  It's usually cheaper to go with the builder on upgrades such as cabinets and countertops because they already factored in the labor costs.  You just pay the difference in material costs. 

Additionally, it just make sense to me to stick with the builder on plumbing, electrical, and structure upgrades for both convenience, repair, and potential defect issues.  But you definitely should skip getting non-bathroom flooring through the lender.  If you go with a good contract (like Venetian), they can get the work done like at 1/2 to 2/3 of the price with a lot more choices and minimal hassle.  Venetian did our floors in 3 days after we got our keys. 

Try to negotiate?  I negotiated with my designer.  I really just wanted most of the flooring done before we moved in. 

Paris167 said:
jmoney74 said:
Try to negotiate?  I negotiated with my designer.  I really just wanted most of the flooring done before we moved in.

What?! I have the option of negotiating prices?? Anyone have success with that with the Taylor Morrison design center?

My experience was that it was a take it over leave it proposition.  One thing good about going through the builder is that you can use them as leverage on the contractors.  However, that has a limit.  We had issues with our cabinets and the contractor just gave up on fixing them despite the builder pushing them.  The builder stopped using them as contractors but that doesn't help us at all.

I think you can do cabinets pretty easily after getting the house. 

Back