Shopping at Portola Springs

Tom_Irvine_Guy

Wondering are there any plans to have gas stations/grocery store etc in PS area. Eleme school will be built in 2015, not sure if that would drive to have any basic shopping etc close by.

Out of luck.

Woodbury Town Center (2 miles southwest)
Orchard Hills Shopping Center (3 miles northwest)
Cypress Village Shopping Center (4 miles southwest)
Irvine Spectrum Center (5 miles southeast)
The Market Place (6 miles southwest)

Irvinecommuter said:
There is supposed to be a shopping center between Ridge Valley and Portola Springs Rd.  Of course, it's been zoned retail since PS opened.

last time I was there during home shopping (december/january), they told me that the shopping center plans have been scrapped for now. 

jmoney74 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
There is supposed to be a shopping center between Ridge Valley and Portola Springs Rd.  Of course, it's been zoned retail since PS opened.

last time I was there during home shopping (december/january), they told me that the shopping center plans have been scrapped for now.

Too bad...TIC has been having a hard time getting tenants filed for Woodbury and Orchard Hills.  With Staples closing, they need to attract another anchor tenant for Woodbury.

For all the smartness TIC shows in developing residential property, they are really bad with retail/business space. 

I think Woodbury will get pretty crowded come next year when the new communities get built in.  CV and SG still getting built out.. then GP zone #1 is modeling by Spring time.  Stores such as staples can't last with that type of footprint.  They have to go small like the Office Max store at the marketplace.  I hope they can bring in a Target or 24 hour fitness.

WasToldToChangeMyName said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Where?

It was supposed to be on Portola.  If you drive past that area, there are signs that say "Future Retail Space". 

There really needs to be more retail in that area.  I am in Stonegate so I am happy that Woodbury and Orchard Hills are relatively nearby.  I could use a closer Target and maybe another Chinese/Korean supermarket.

Irvinecommuter said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Where?

It was supposed to be on Portola.  If you drive past that area, there are signs that say "Future Retail Space". 

There really needs to be more retail in that area.  I am in Stonegate so I am happy that Woodbury and Orchard Hills are relatively nearby.  I could use a closer Target and maybe another Chinese/Korean supermarket.

diamond jamboree 2?  man if that happened.. FOR SALE! 

jmoney74 said:
I think Woodbury will get pretty crowded come next year when the new communities get built in.  CV and SG still getting built out.. then GP zone #1 is modeling by Spring time.  Stores such as staples can't last with that type of footprint.  They have to go small like the Office Max store at the marketplace.  I hope they can bring in a Target or 24 hour fitness.

I think Staples failed because of the location...I mean why would you put an office supply place in the middle of a residential area.  The District and Marketplace make so much more sense.

The mix of restaurants at Woodbury has always been odd.  I'm pretty happy with the restaurants there now with the except of the Panera...wish it was a Corner Bakery.  I like the fish place when it first opened but it started raising prices.

Elementary school supposed to be at southeast corner of the intersection of Portola Pkwy. and Portola Springs. Next school year, it will be held at an interim school site.

jmoney74 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Where?

diamond jamboree 2?  man if that happened.. FOR SALE!

LOL...DJ is already develop more space adjacent to it.  It's weird about DJ because it is obviously super popular but it had a lot of empty spaces.  Personally, I would get rid of the Thai place and BCD and put in a Korea BBQ place and a HK cafe.

??? said:
Elementary school supposed to be at southeast corner of the intersection of Portola Pkwy. and Portola Springs. Next school year, it will be held at an interim school site.

Rephrased:  The school is supposed to be North (?) of the Portola Blvd while the Retail space is supposed to be south (?) of it.

The best area for shopping center would have been the area in the corner of Irvine Blvd and Modjeska .. It's right by Irvine Blvd (so easy access to most) and could serve future GP and PS residents (as well as future GP high school site).. But I guess they are building more homes on that parcel.

??? said:
Out of luck.

Woodbury Town Center (2 miles southwest)
Orchard Hills Shopping Center (3 miles northwest)
Cypress Village Shopping Center (4 miles southwest)
Irvine Spectrum Center (5 miles southeast)
The Market Place (6 miles southwest)

It's really more of the quality of the stores rather than the distance.  For example, the residential blocks bordered by Alton / Barranca / Jeffrey /Culver have shopping centers at almost every intersections and seems like businesses are doing well ..

thatOSguy said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Too bad...TIC has been having a hard time getting tenants filed for Woodbury and Orchard Hills.  With Staples closing, they need to attract another anchor tenant for Woodbury.

For all the smartness TIC shows in developing residential property, they are really bad with retail/business space.

I'm not seeing that at all; in fact, the inverse.

If you look across their entire portfolio -- including tentpole space like Spectrum, Fashion Island and Marketplace -- their vacancy rates strike me as being very low. They're also quick to expand space as needed (reference the non-stop building in the aforementioned tentpoles, continuing to this day). There are always going to be a few stinkers, but by and large, TIC's commercial portfolio is first class. I don't care for many of the bland tenants they attract, but that's just me.

On OH -- anyone else notice Zov's changed up their menu? The result is smaller portions at the same or higher price. It could be unrelated, but my guess is future residents are already eating there (to/from sales office or KB's studio next door) and Zov's is making the change now to lessen the blow.

OH's food court is probably the best of the small village-based shopping centers in terms of variety and quality, and it is typically well-stocked with patrons - presumably from TRanch, NP and NW. Once OH's gets critical mass of new homes, the tenants are going to be set.... though they have been waiting for some time.

I would agree with the big centers but a lot of that has come very recently.  Spectrum was pretty meh for a long time but TIC has brought in a lot of new tenants.  I like Fashion Island the most for its mix of business and space.  Marketplace has a bad mix of restaurants...the recent introduction of Islands, Pieology, Veggie Grill, and Pieology helps a lot.

We love OH and was sad to move away from the area.  They had a lot of problems with vacancies in that mall though (to be expected).  The mix of the restaurant was good about 6 months ago but the restaurants now known as Jinbei and Ren have gone way down.  Zovs is fine but not great for the price.  Peets and La Sirena are the only two places that we visit regularly.  The Pavilions there is much better than the Ralphs at Woodbury. 

I think TIC has a hard time dealing with changing demographics...there isn't enough "unique" restaurants/shops to meet the FCBs and young couples.  The traditional chain stores are not good enough anymore.

Back