cell phone providers

yaliu07

What cell phone providers do you?  I am currently using T-mobile and they are horrible in Irvine.  I get no reception at home

AT&T here...don't usually have a problem.  Reception is spotty in Stonegate which can be a problem because we don't have a hard line.  But it's manageable.

A lot cheaper than Verizon.

thatOSguy said:
c4 said:
According to this site AT&T is the worst...
http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/ca/irvine/page1.html

I have Verizon, and while it has good coverage at my house, the overall coverage in Irvine is very spotty, and T-Mobile is pretty bad in Irvine as well.

Not sure why cell phone provider just can't cover Irvine any better!

I have had every single provider. Practically speaking, I've had the best luck with AT&T. They also offer the micro-cell device when you have coverage issues.

Verizon has major dead spots in Northpark and UCI area.

AT&T works great for me and I've recommended the micro-cell to co-workers that don't get reception at home and AT&T and given them for free.

paperboyNC said:
thatOSguy said:
c4 said:
According to this site AT&T is the worst...
http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/ca/irvine/page1.html

I have Verizon, and while it has good coverage at my house, the overall coverage in Irvine is very spotty, and T-Mobile is pretty bad in Irvine as well.

Not sure why cell phone provider just can't cover Irvine any better!

I have had every single provider. Practically speaking, I've had the best luck with AT&T. They also offer the micro-cell device when you have coverage issues.

Verizon has major dead spots in Northpark and UCI area.

AT&T works great for me and I've recommended the micro-cell to co-workers that don't get reception at home and AT&T and given them for free.

I've asked about it and they insist that I have to pay for the micro-cell and a monthly fee.

Irvinecommuter said:
I've asked about it and they insist that I have to pay for the micro-cell and a monthly fee.

The monthly fee is for unlimited calling over the micro-cell. Since most AT&T plans come with unlimited calling there is never a need for the monthly fee for the micro-cell.

They don't give them out easily. If you aren't getting one call and talk to retentions (tell the automated system you want to cancel).

paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:

The monthly fee is for unlimited calling over the micro-cell. Since most AT&T plans come with unlimited calling there is never a need for the monthly fee for the micro-cell.

They don't give them out easily. If you aren't getting one call and talk to retentions (tell the automated system you want to cancel).

Of course they won't hand them out easily, they charge big bucks for it, something like $200? If you're still getting 1 bar intermittently they can always claim that you have service...

thatOSguy said:
c4 said:
paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Of course they won't hand them out easily, they charge big bucks for it, something like $200? If you're still getting 1 bar intermittently they can always claim that you have service...

They give them out like water to corporate customers. Just push hard with customer service and you can score one. At least they have an option; Verizon and Sprint have nothing and TMo's support for UMA "WiFi calling" is inconsistent at best.

Have you actually tried TMo's wifi calling? Was wondering about that, and sounds like the new iOS is going to support that feature, at least as TMo's interpretation after WWDC.

The answer varies depending on where in Irvine you live.  Your best bet is to check the coverage of every provider at your house.  TMO will have the wifi calling feature in the new Iphone so this will definitely guarantee that you have reception.  I used this feature on an older Blackberry and it worked perfectly.

woodburyowner said:
The answer varies depending on where in Irvine you live.  Your best bet is to check the coverage of every provider at your house.  TMO will have the wifi calling feature in the new Iphone so this will definitely guarantee that you have reception.  I used this feature on an older Blackberry and it worked perfectly.

ATT customer rep used to tell me I have the perfect coverage at my home address (also as shown on their coverage map online), but I'm only getting 2-3 bars max (out of 5)! That's how much you can trust what the provider tells you...

Back