Nest Thermostat

Let me know how it works out, I've been thinking of getting one of those cheap Honeywell WiFi thermostats so that I can change the temp from anywhere in the house... or when I'm not home.

Last night, someone left the AC on but for some reason, after midnight, it was trying to cool the house down to 70 degrees and I had to go downstairs just to turn it off. My elec bill this month is going to be huge.

Honeywell vs Nest
http://smartthermostatguide.com/honeywell-wi-fi-advantages-over-nest/

We currently have Nest at home but is planning to switch to Honeywell.  My only complain with Nest (also as mentioned in the above review) is that sometimes it does not kick in when needed.  But Nest is definitely way better looking and blends well in the wall compared to the traditional Honeywell thermostat looks (my wife still somewhat prefers Nest over Honeywell). 

Per the review above:
"Tighter temperature control. The Honeywell RTH9580WF wins at temperature control, keeping your home?s climate within +/- 1 degree of your desired temperature.  By contrast, the Nest allows for swings of up to 3 degrees over or under your desired temperature.

This means that if you set your Nest to 67 ?F (19 ?C), your home?s temperature may drop as low as 64 ?F  (17.7 ?C) before the heat kicks back on."

Thanks for the link GH.

I was actually looking at the cheaper $119 Honeywell.

If I spend over $200, my kids will complain that I didn't get them another iPod or the 3DS XL.

irvinehomeowner said:
Thanks for the link GH.

I was actually looking at the cheaper $119 Honeywell.

If I spend over $200, my kids will complain that I didn't get them another iPod or the 3DS XL.

I could be wrong but I think basic functionality wise, they are the same except the look and the traditional buttons (vs touchscreen for the expensive one and maybe some added extra functionality which you probably won't need or can live without).

Yeah... just did some Googling... looks like the cheap model even does the email/web/text alerts.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_171234-74493-RTH6580WF1001_0__?productId=3850713

085267771955lg.jpg

I like the button one because it's the same size as my current thermostat.

ps9 said:
But is the CPU a neural net processor; a learning computer?.

Personally not really very particular with learning or not.  I want it to do exactly as I programmed it to do.  I think the temperature swing is the biggest difference though as it should be their basic functionality to have tight temperature control.

One thing I like about Nest though is it has all those fancy statistics about your energy usage, home temperatures etc.. It sends you regular email on your energy consumption, patterns, compare it against the weather, suggestions and some other useful information..... not sure if honeywell has that much details on its apps.

GH said:
ps9 said:

Personally not really very particular with learning or not.  I want it to do exactly as I programmed it to do.  I think the temperature swing is the biggest difference though as it should be their basic functionality to have tight temperature control.

Sorry, I was quoting Arnold, you didn't think I would type "neural net processor" would you? 

Hey if the  Nest doesn't work out, you can at least use it as a hockey puck or a tiny frisbee, can't do that with the Honeywell.

ps9 said:
GH said:
ps9 said:

Sorry, I was quoting Arnold, you didn't think I would type "neural net processor" would you? 

Hey if the  Nest doesn't work out, you can at least use it as a hockey puck or a tiny frisbee, can't do that with the Honeywell.

sorry, I didn't get the joke .. I really thought all along neural net processor is a real term  :-[

I agree with you though, Nest is way much better looking than Honeywell (that's why my wife still prefers Nest .. I really care more about function than the appearance)

thatOSguy said:
GH said:
ps9 said:

So when you tell it to be 72 degrees at 1pm, do you want it to kick on at 1pm and then let it ramp up or have it already cooled to 72 degrees?

This is a huge thing for us. We are on time of use (TOU) rate and I want to maximize my 12am-6am cheap electricity. So we set our thermostat to 72 degrees at 6am, and then 78 at 6:15am. The AC runs at the cheap rate, right up to the bell -- no more, no less. A learning thermostat is the only way to do that, especially given the ambient temp will vary from day to day.

That's not the learning part I was referring to.. I believe both Nest and Honeywell can do that.  what I meant was the Nest trying to learn your pattern and adjusting accordingly.  For example, based on experience, say we scheduled it to set to turn on and get to 72F at 630 pm, then for the last few days, we came home early before 6pm and manually set it on, eventually, Nest will override your schedule and turn it on at 6pm.

Back