Internet Camera

ps99472

Arghhhh, so frustrating, been trying to setup my Foscam for the past 2 days for viewing on my phone when I'm away from home.  The manual that came with the camera sucked, foscam's website sucks.  I need a crash course in home network/router lingo...  WAN, Port, IP, Firewall...

So far I've followed Foscam's instructions on modifying my gateway firewall, assigned a port to the camera, but when I punched in the IP address with port on my phone, it doesn't work? 

You should have bought a dropcam pro man. That thing is great. Can't beat the DVR functionality. I've made various clips of my daughter or dogs doing funny things.

I dug the foscam out from storage, bought it years ago but never set it up.

Is dropcam plug and play?  I want to chuck my foscam out the window right now.

ps9 said:

the dropcam is pretty much plug and play. u can set it up in under a minute with your iphone or laptop. i used to have dlink camera that was supposed plug n play with the dlink router and still had to call customer service to set it up. had to unblock ports, assign it an IP, etc. pain in the ass. the dropcam pro is the best camera and easiest setup ive had.

how's the security of the dropcam (i.e. burglars can hack the camera to make sure no one is home before entering?).

thatOSguy said:
qwerty said:
ps9 said:

the dropcam is pretty much plug and play. u can set it up in under a minute with your iphone or laptop. i used to have dlink camera that was supposed plug n play with the dlink router and still had to call customer service to set it up. had to unblock ports, assign it an IP, etc. pain in the ass. the dropcam pro is the best camera and easiest setup ive had.

What are you paying annually on the dropcam?

i have the 7 day dvr for $10/month. i have two screens up at work so i can see exactly what the nanny is doing all day.

ps9 said:
how's the security of the dropcam (i.e. burglars can hack the camera to make sure no one is home before entering?).

not sure. im not too concerned about someone hacking the camera though.

ps9 said:
Just thinking if easy to setup easy to hack?  hopefully your password is not 'qwerty' :)

my password is like 30 characters long. sometimes i think i should have just used qwerty.

Wait you have to pay monthlies?  (let me go retrieve my foscam).  I hear with the foscam, you can set up an external hard drive to record?  But that will be a future project, still need to be able to view in my phone's browser

ps9 said:
Wait you have to pay monthlies?  (let me go retrieve my foscam).  I hear with the foscam, you can set up an external hard drive to record?  But that will be a future project, still need to be able to view in my phone's browser

only if you want the DVR service. if you dont get the DVR service the live viewing is always free.

Make sure you assign a static IP to the cam. Test it out first by hitting the cam URL with the local network IP, such as 192.168.1.XX:YY (or whatver your network address and port that you chose for the CAM)

If that works then you *should* be able to swap out the local IP for the public IP assuming you opened it up on your router.

I'm also using a couple of Dropcams but I'll be switching over to Foscam's 9800 series.  I like that you can pan and tilt with Foscams and it has SDcard capability.

I have had Foscams and now have Belkin cams.  The Foscam cameras were a pain to set up initially but worked fine after that.  I don't have the time to go through a Foscam setup again so I bought a few Belkin HD cams and put them where I needed them.  Sets up in minutes and does what I expect.  Is Foscam more configurable and customizable and have better monitoring software options......yes.  Is the ease of being up and running in minutes and not having to worry about it worth more?  At this time in my life, yes.

Yeah... I'm not trying to make an HD movie... I just want to make sure I can see what's going on.

Used to have a VTech (I think it was VTech) phone system that had a camera accessory that I put in the kid's room as a baby monitor. From any handset I could look at the video but the resolution was so bad sometimes I couldn't tell if they were awake or not (had to rely on the sound).

Back