Hidden Canyon or Orchard Hills?

Goriot

If you had $2 to $3 million budget, would you buy in Hidden Canyon or Orchard Hills (comparable homes) - Both primary or investment purposes. Which area would have faster and higher appreciation? 

Hidden Canyon of course. It's nearer to Laguna Beach, South of the 405, and it's zoned to University High. And no condos or townhomes within the village!

irvinehomeowner said:
Hidden Canyon... the floorplans are superior.

Floorplans are available? If they're typical Toll Brothers, then I've been there, done that, and am quite bored with them.

Toll Brothers in Hidden Canyon hands down
It is much more exclusive with only 258 single family resident homes, no nearby housing community,  no condos or apartments, only single family residence with similar price range , close to Spectrum, to 405 and pretty central location.  Also in better school zone (Irvine school with uni high)

The floor plans/lots in my opinion is better and bigger  too than OH

So the comparable OH (Trevi) has condos/apartments behind the gates? Or are you guys referring to the apts down the street?

questions like this make me really think we are heading towards another bubble here.  First, the fact that a 3M dollar home is an investment.  REALLY?  you have 3M bucks and you think buying a new tract house is a good investment?  Spare me the laguna altura example... that was a unicorn.  Secondly why is there this expectation that homes prices WILL appreciate much?  As I see more and more questions like this, I see things getting frothier and frothier...

meccos12 said:
questions like this make me really think we are heading towards another bubble here.  First, the fact that a 3M dollar home is an investment.  REALLY?  you have 3M bucks and you think buying a new tract house is a good investment?  Spare me the laguna altura example... that was a unicorn.  Secondly why is there this expectation that homes prices WILL appreciate much?  As I see more and more questions like this, I see things getting frothier and frothier...

This is well said. There was a segment on MPR yesterday about this. There are preliminary indications about asset over valuation stemming from global capital QE. There was some discussions about the spillover affect into the US housing market (spec. in California). It is a bit scary that we could be heading down that path again.

In a few years we'll probably hit the peak of the housing cycle.  If you are looking at pure monetary investment, now it's probably not the best time.  Since the topic is hidden canyon or orchard hills, my preference is HC.
Both are great communities but when you look at comps to determine the intrinsic value of a home, I think hc will have greater value.
Personally I like the amenities/club house at Orchard Hills more.  There's also a school within OH, a Montessori just in the adjacent plaza.
To me, HC has a more central location that's suitable for me and my family's needs.
Unless you have a ton of disposable cash, it's probably not a good idea to spend 2-3M as an investment property.
I don't believe in unicorns... everything happens for a reason.  But yah Irvine is an interesting place, it's hard to say whether home values can continue to sustain at its current levels.

meccos12 said:

While there may not be a lot of people who can afford $2mm+ homes, there are even fewer $2mm+ new homes in Irvine.  Therefore, based simply on supply and demand, I think both OH and HC will do fine in the future.  I doubt there will be homes of this caliber in Beacon Park, Tustin Legacy, or the remaining areas of Portola Springs.

Fiano will be amazing but a million dollars more than either of these neighborhoods. My guess is there will be a 200/SF premium versus the irvine communities  They will still sell like hot cakes but buyers will be comparing them to Resales in crystal cove not irvine.

test said:

Absolutely true.  The New Home Company have proven themselves to be the experts at innovation.  Not surprising given TNHC's Laing, Taylor Woodrow, Irvine Company roots.  Toll Brothers have once again proven they are the experts at reworking outdated designs.  If you look up "McMansion" in the dictionary, Toll Bros picture will be next to the definition.

The New Home Company and Innovation? Who doesn't use the repeated floorplan?  still cookie cutter homes...Not sure about the quality of TNHC's construction. It even seems to use cheap interior design quality and piece of paper brochure. They were just lucky on Lamber Ranch targeting FCB in right time! No luxury aspect what so ever!

snowball said:
The New Home Company and Innovation? Who doesn't use the repeated floorplan?  still cookie cutter homes...Not sure about the quality of TNHC's construction. It even seems to use cheap interior design quality and piece of paper brochure. They were just lucky on Lamber Ranch targeting FCB in right time! No luxury aspect what so ever!

I agree w/ you about the paper brochure. New Home Company just photocopies black & white floorplans and staples them together.  They also don't print out the exteriors of the houses. It's terrible marketing for $2 million+ houses.  Would you serve food with styrofoam cups & plastic utensils to a customer at a high-end restaurant? Obviously they're trying to save money, but it makes one wonder what other corners they might cut after they have your $$$.

Back