Retractable Screen Door Review

ZeroLot

I'm in the process of getting a retractable screen door for my front door and french door.

So far I'm debating between Clearview vs. Phantom screen doors.  Once I figure out which one I like I'll then decide on the vendor.

I already got a retractable screen door to my backyard through the builder.  It was cool at first but now I wish I didn't get it through IP.  Whoever they used for the retractable screen door sucks.  That thing is going to die in less than a year and I'll most likely have to replace it anyway. 

When I purchased it though the builder they promised a Phantom Retractable Screen door ... that screen door is DEFINITELY not a Phantom screen door.  Phantom is much higher quality than what I got.

Anyone got a retractable and did you get Clearview or Phantom??  How do you feel about your screen door?

qwerty said:
i got one through these guys - am very happy with the product. no issues with it yet. got the recommendation from homer. $350 for the door, installed in about 45 minutes.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ejs-home-improvements-mission-viejo
http://www.ejshomeimprovements.com/

they use mirage screen doors
http://www.miragescreensystems.com/retractable-screen-doors/screen-door-benefits.htm

I just called them and spoke with Eric.  Sounds like a really great guy.  He gave me a quick quote over the phone and I am VERY happy with it.  I looked in the Mirage screen doors and they get really great reviews.

Thanks for sharing.  I'll let Eric know you referred me! :) 

Keep us updated, I see a few people on my street with these and may be curious to install one for the summer.

http://www.ejshomeimprovements.com/

they use mirage screen doors

Met with Eric of EJs and he is so awesome!  He took his time to explain all the details of a retractable screen door to me.  He also took a look at the Phantom Screen Door I got through the builder and showed me ways of how to fix the bunching that's already started on it.

So far he has the most competitive pricing and he carries the Mirage brand.  He used to install Clearview but switched 7 years ago.  Clearview has a built in speed reducer that eventually causes problems down the road.  So Eric switched to Mirage.

He was very straight forward and honest and said that Mirage, Clearview, and Phantom are all very close to the same thing.  Only minor details separates the 3 main brands.

He also said he can't help me with my arched French Door because of that DARN arch.  I am so bummed that I can't get a retractable screen door for it.  But he honored the discounted price he quoted me for my main door despite the fact he won't be able to install a screen for my french door.  How honest and awesome is that?!

Anyhow I'm most likely going to go with EJ but I have appointments with a Clearview and Phantom Legacy installers next week and will update my review after all my vetting is done.

Totally recommend EJ's.  They did 3 of my homes and I have nothing but praises for their work. 

Gonna have them come out in 2 weeks to do the balcony french doors as well.  You wont be disappointed!

LOL! Did it bend in?? Just realign the screen and keep sliding it to get it back on track!  My son kicked our screen door a few times already lol.

Homer_Simpson said:
LOL! Did it bend in?? Just realign the screen and keep sliding it to get it back on track!  My son kicked our screen door a few times already lol.

it gave a little. but like you said i just opened it and closed it and it was fine.

Friends

Sorry for asking a stupid question. Mostly because I have rented all my life and this our first home.
In our new home (Saratoga Plan 1), we do have a conservatory near the dining/kitchen area. It comes with a double door that opens out.

1. What is a retractable door? Does a retractable door replace my double door? or it is in addition to the double door?
2. Why would anyone need another door? benefits?
3. How much does it cost?

Sam78 said:
Friends

Sorry for asking a stupid question. Mostly because I have rented all my life and this our first home.
In our new home (Saratoga Plan 1), we do have a conservatory near the dining/kitchen area. It comes with a double door that opens out.

1. What is a retractable door? Does a retractable door replace my double door? or it is in addition to the double door?
2. Why would anyone need another door? benefits?
3. How much does it cost?

It's roll away retractable screen.  People install it at places normally don't have a screen like back door, French doors etc.  people install them so they can keep the door open and bugs out.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EN1LJnzb7oE

yaliu07 said:
I was thinking about Larson Storm Door.  You can find these at lowes.  299 for standard door + 99 Installation fee.
http://www.larsondoors.com/

Nice!  I like the one that's removable for seasonal storage.  Maybe I might be able to use it for my ARCHED french door.  So far no one is able to install a door there for me.

:(

I installed mine throughhttp://ocqhomeproducts.com.It's clearview with speed reducer. so the door won't slam but will slowly retract.

however the speed reducer of one of the doors stopped working recently and the door will slam if you are not careful. although all the parts are under warranty, you have to pay $50 for their labor to have the problem fixed.

i decided to live with it and maybe get it fixed in the future.
so ask about your warranty.

Called Lowe's about the Larson retractable screen door.  The price for the Inspire version will cost $775 for a french door.  I chose Inpsire because the cassette is supposedly removable.  Larry at Lowe's didn't know how the removable process worked.  In fact Larry was rude.

When I asked if Lowe's install Larry said no.  So I said if that means I'm suppose to assemble it.  Then Larry said "That depends on your skill level".  WTF? So I grilled him and said if  Lowe's doesn't install and you're saying I can't install it, then how does this thing get installed?  He said I need to hire a handyman. 

I knew yaliu07 said that Lowe's charge $99 so I inquired further and said if Larry was sure.  He then checked and said that Lowe's can recommend someone but they will charge $450 to install the retractable screen.

I told him that's ridiculous that Lowe's is selling something that costs over $1000 when I got quotes from $600 to $700 INSTALLED.

Anyhow Larry was already irritated with all my questions so I just ended the call.

So far EJ's Home Improvement is still the best deal.  They just don't use the Clearview that comes with the speed reducer, which I am currently fine with after reading sentosa's review.  Just one more vendor to go today and I'll be done with  my vetting process.

ZeroLot said:
Called Lowe's about the Larson retractable screen door.  The price for the Inspire version will cost $775 for a french door.  I chose Inpsire because the cassette is supposedly removable.  Larry at Lowe's didn't know how the removable process worked.  In fact Larry was rude.

When I asked if Lowe's install Larry said no.  So I said if that means I'm suppose to assemble it.  Then Larry said "That depends on your skill level".  WTF? So I grilled him and said if  Lowe's doesn't install and you're saying I can't install it, then how does this thing get installed?  He said I need to hire a handyman. 

I knew yaliu07 said that Lowe's charge $99 so I inquired further and said if Larry was sure.  He then checked and said that Lowe's can recommend someone but they will charge $450 to install the retractable screen.

I told him that's ridiculous that Lowe's is selling something that costs over $1000 when I got quotes from $600 to $700 INSTALLED.

Anyhow Larry was already irritated with all my questions so I just ended the call.

So far EJ's Home Improvement is still the best deal.  They just don't use the Clearview that comes with the speed reducer, which I am currently fine with after reading sentosa's review.  Just one more vendor to go today and I'll be done with  my vetting process.

I also got the ClearView.  It is nice when it was new(clean).  The speed reducer works nicely, that I believe I have to pay ~100 more from the phantom quote I got.  (also included the dense solar screen + better looking door handle).

installer recommend me put screen door away when not in use.  I didn't know why, so I keep screen door shut all the time.

after few months of use.  speed reducer isn't open smooth as before.  I believe it caused by of all dirts up on the screen itself.  I guess this will happen on all brands.

Ok, just met with the last vendor last night.  I will be going with Screen Mobile for their Phantom Legacy line.  Drew and his team were amazing.  They customized everything for our screen doors and they can do ARCHED French Door!!  I'm so excited!  Finally someone who has a custom screen maker in their shop that can do custom work!

Drew even allowed me to pick the rail track for my front door so there's no gap when before step over the threshold.  This makes sure no baby will get their little feet jammed in the gap.  Also this allows me to roll a cart over the gap without the wheels getting stuck in it ... also don't have to worry about dirt getting caught there either.

They spent a good 45 minutes in my house going over all our options, including color scheme.  We got into some really good moments just picking colors because they had so many to choose from and each of us had our opinions.  lol  But they were very patient and allowed us to talk it out until we were all comfortable with our choices.

Since Screen Mobile carries Phantom they are going to fix the BUILDER option Phantom screen door and upgrade it to the Phantom Legacy easy control system just for an additional $100.  The Phantom Legacy will be on all our doors, including French door.  Basically it's a non-magnetic system and we don't have to pull on the door handle to open it.  We just push the switch on the handle and it opens and retracts. 

After everything was calculated, I got it all for $50 more than what EJ Improvement for Mirage quoted me.  I'm very excited! 

ZeroLot said:
Ok, just met with the last vendor last night.  I will be going with Screen Mobile for their Phantom Legacy line.  Drew and his team were amazing.  They customized everything for our screen doors and they can do ARCHED French Door!!  I'm so excited!  Finally someone who has a custom screen maker in their shop that can do custom work!

Drew even allowed me to pick the rail track for my front door so there's no gap when before step over the threshold.  This makes sure no baby will get their little feet jammed in the gap.  Also this allows me to roll a cart over the gap without the wheels getting stuck in it ... also don't have to worry about dirt getting caught there either.

They spent a good 45 minutes in my house going over all our options, including color scheme.  We got into some really good moments just picking colors because they had so many to choose from and each of us had our opinions.  lol  But they were very patient and allowed us to talk it out until we were all comfortable with our choices.

Since Screen Mobile carries Phantom they are going to fix the BUILDER option Phantom screen door and upgrade it to the Phantom Legacy easy control system just for an additional $100. 

After everything was calculated, I got it all for $50 more than what EJ Improvement for Mirage quoted me.  I'm very excited!

Keep us posted with the workman ship!!  thanks!

Back