Author Topic: Retractable Screen Door Review  (Read 44656 times)

Offline ZeroLot

• Shelter Built
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 286
  • -Received: 177
  • Yes, I'm not a guy.
Re: Retractable Screen Door Review
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »
Called Lowe's about the Larson retractable screen door.  The price for the Inspire version will cost $775 for a french door.  I chose Inpsire because the cassette is supposedly removable.  Larry at Lowe's didn't know how the removable process worked.  In fact Larry was rude.

When I asked if Lowe's install Larry said no.  So I said if that means I'm suppose to assemble it.  Then Larry said "That depends on your skill level".  WTF? So I grilled him and said if  Lowe's doesn't install and you're saying I can't install it, then how does this thing get installed?  He said I need to hire a handyman. 

I knew yaliu07 said that Lowe's charge $99 so I inquired further and said if Larry was sure.  He then checked and said that Lowe's can recommend someone but they will charge $450 to install the retractable screen.

I told him that's ridiculous that Lowe's is selling something that costs over $1000 when I got quotes from $600 to $700 INSTALLED.

Anyhow Larry was already irritated with all my questions so I just ended the call.

So far EJ's Home Improvement is still the best deal.  They just don't use the Clearview that comes with the speed reducer, which I am currently fine with after reading sentosa's review.  Just one more vendor to go today and I'll be done with  my vetting process.
"If you haven't checked with SGIP about mortgage loans, you haven't ZeroLot vetted enough." ~ Irvinehomeowner

"Konara Dek Zero Gra?" ~DothrakIho TI Memes  *Are they Zerolot Approved?

Offline studio

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 5
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »
Called Lowe's about the Larson retractable screen door.  The price for the Inspire version will cost $775 for a french door.  I chose Inpsire because the cassette is supposedly removable.  Larry at Lowe's didn't know how the removable process worked.  In fact Larry was rude.

When I asked if Lowe's install Larry said no.  So I said if that means I'm suppose to assemble it.  Then Larry said "That depends on your skill level".  WTF? So I grilled him and said if  Lowe's doesn't install and you're saying I can't install it, then how does this thing get installed?  He said I need to hire a handyman. 

I knew yaliu07 said that Lowe's charge $99 so I inquired further and said if Larry was sure.  He then checked and said that Lowe's can recommend someone but they will charge $450 to install the retractable screen.

I told him that's ridiculous that Lowe's is selling something that costs over $1000 when I got quotes from $600 to $700 INSTALLED.

Anyhow Larry was already irritated with all my questions so I just ended the call.

So far EJ's Home Improvement is still the best deal.  They just don't use the Clearview that comes with the speed reducer, which I am currently fine with after reading sentosa's review.  Just one more vendor to go today and I'll be done with  my vetting process.

I also got the ClearView.  It is nice when it was new(clean).  The speed reducer works nicely, that I believe I have to pay ~100 more from the phantom quote I got.  (also included the dense solar screen + better looking door handle).

installer recommend me put screen door away when not in use.  I didn't know why, so I keep screen door shut all the time.

after few months of use.  speed reducer isn't open smooth as before.  I believe it caused by of all dirts up on the screen itself.  I guess this will happen on all brands.

Offline ZeroLot

• Shelter Built
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • Yes, I'm not a guy.
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
Ok, just met with the last vendor last night.  I will be going with Screen Mobile for their Phantom Legacy line.  Drew and his team were amazing.  They customized everything for our screen doors and they can do ARCHED French Door!!  I'm so excited!  Finally someone who has a custom screen maker in their shop that can do custom work!

Drew even allowed me to pick the rail track for my front door so there's no gap when before step over the threshold.  This makes sure no baby will get their little feet jammed in the gap.  Also this allows me to roll a cart over the gap without the wheels getting stuck in it ... also don't have to worry about dirt getting caught there either.

They spent a good 45 minutes in my house going over all our options, including color scheme.  We got into some really good moments just picking colors because they had so many to choose from and each of us had our opinions.  lol  But they were very patient and allowed us to talk it out until we were all comfortable with our choices.

Since Screen Mobile carries Phantom they are going to fix the BUILDER option Phantom screen door and upgrade it to the Phantom Legacy easy control system just for an additional $100.  The Phantom Legacy will be on all our doors, including French door.  Basically it's a non-magnetic system and we don't have to pull on the door handle to open it.  We just push the switch on the handle and it opens and retracts. 

After everything was calculated, I got it all for $50 more than what EJ Improvement for Mirage quoted me.  I'm very excited! 
"If you haven't checked with SGIP about mortgage loans, you haven't ZeroLot vetted enough." ~ Irvinehomeowner

Offline Homer_Simpson

• CERTIFIED FCB
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 729
  • -Received: 738
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 09:29:52 AM »
Ok, just met with the last vendor last night.  I will be going with Screen Mobile for their Phantom Legacy line.  Drew and his team were amazing.  They customized everything for our screen doors and they can do ARCHED French Door!!  I'm so excited!  Finally someone who has a custom screen maker in their shop that can do custom work!

Drew even allowed me to pick the rail track for my front door so there's no gap when before step over the threshold.  This makes sure no baby will get their little feet jammed in the gap.  Also this allows me to roll a cart over the gap without the wheels getting stuck in it ... also don't have to worry about dirt getting caught there either.

They spent a good 45 minutes in my house going over all our options, including color scheme.  We got into some really good moments just picking colors because they had so many to choose from and each of us had our opinions.  lol  But they were very patient and allowed us to talk it out until we were all comfortable with our choices.

Since Screen Mobile carries Phantom they are going to fix the BUILDER option Phantom screen door and upgrade it to the Phantom Legacy easy control system just for an additional $100. 

After everything was calculated, I got it all for $50 more than what EJ Improvement for Mirage quoted me.  I'm very excited!

Keep us posted with the workman ship!!  thanks!
#FARM

Offline luckguy

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 31
  • -Received: 3
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 08:02:10 AM »
i got one through these guys - am very happy with the product. no issues with it yet. got the recommendation from homer. $350 for the door, installed in about 45 minutes.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ejs-home-improvements-mission-viejo

http://www.ejshomeimprovements.com/

they use mirage screen doors

http://www.miragescreensystems.com/retractable-screen-doors/screen-door-benefits.htm

Do they also do the media center? How is their job?

Offline ZeroLot

• Shelter Built
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • Yes, I'm not a guy.
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
i got one through these guys - am very happy with the product. no issues with it yet. got the recommendation from homer. $350 for the door, installed in about 45 minutes.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ejs-home-improvements-mission-viejo

http://www.ejshomeimprovements.com/

they use mirage screen doors

http://www.miragescreensystems.com/retractable-screen-doors/screen-door-benefits.htm

Do they also do the media center? How is their job?

I really liked EJ's.  Eric is terrific and he does blinds too.  I'm not sure about Media Center.

I just chose Phantom Legacy (non-magnetic) over Mirage (magnetic).  But EJ does have the best price of for a magnetic retractable screen door.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:29:33 AM by ZeroLot »

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline .

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 140
  • -Received: 73
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 11:17:08 PM »

Sorry Zerolot, finally got a chance to take pictures.

Picture from Lowes.  On the right, the installation fee is $97

Picture from my friend's door

Offline ZeroLot

• Shelter Built
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • Yes, I'm not a guy.
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »
Thanks Yaliu07 for the pictures.  But HOA won't allow me to install those doors.  Retractable screens are the most Irvine HOA will allow. 

I just got my retractable screens installed by Drew and his crew at ScreenMobile and all 3 looks fantastic. 

1)  I upgraded the phantom screen from magnetic to latch system. 

2) Then I got another installed on my front door. 

3) The one piece phantom screen on the french door looks amazing.  It looks, in my opinion, so much better than the two piece phantom screen door (and cheaper too). 

When not in use I have to keep it in the housing and not expose it to the elements.  Plus it won't be an eyesore for the association if I keep it retracted most of the time.  The install went fantastic.  Very friendly, professional, great communication, and always on-time.  After the install they asked me to inspect each screen door to make sure I was happy with everything.

The guys were so happy with their work they look lots of pictures and will be posting it up on their website.

I would definitely recommend ScreenMobiles and their Phantom Legacy Latch System.

Offline ZeroLot

• Shelter Built
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • Yes, I'm not a guy.
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
Here's a picture of the retractable screen door latch.  It contains no magnets.  ScreenMobile website is http://www.screenmobile.com/

714-379-0010 - Drew

If you want a magnet retractable screen door, I definitely recommend EJ's, as recommended by Qwerty too. 

Offline jazzy1

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
Hi! Trying to decide between the Legacy Phantom with latch (newer mechanism) or the Phantom Professional magnet retractable for my French Doors...is there any big advantage/preference/argument for one over the other??

Also, I heard about a one-piece screen for French Doors made by Phantom...any experience for this one on French Doors?

Offline ZeroLot

• Shelter Built
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • Yes, I'm not a guy.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 11:54:11 PM »
Hi! Trying to decide between the Legacy Phantom with latch (newer mechanism) or the Phantom Professional magnet retractable for my French Doors...is there any big advantage/preference/argument for one over the other??

Also, I heard about a one-piece screen for French Doors made by Phantom...any experience for this one on French Doors?

I had a magnetic latch and upgraded it to a latch mechanism but it truly is personal preference. 

I went with the one piece French door and it was much cheaper than a two piece but I do have to more careful with the retraction as there is more screen to retract and hence a higher chance of it getting jammed.

Offline .

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 10:56:32 AM »
F.  My screen door just got rejected...  going to try EJ or ScreenMobile

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2373
  • -Received: 1490
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »

what kind of door was it? a retractable? or an regular screen door?

Offline aquabliss

• Thanks
  • -Given: 156
  • -Received: 620
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 12:32:18 AM »
Any idea how much a retractable screen would be for a large panel slider?

Offline .

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »

what kind of door was it? a retractable? or an regular screen door?

regular screen door.  see my previous post for pictures.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts