Is this infestation?

Leano

My husband found this hidden in our garage.  By looking at the picture, I thought it is rice.  No, it's paper.  Could this be a nest?  We just moved into our home in November and it's a brand new home.  What's the likelihood that this is infestation?

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    660.4 KB · Views: 545
Yep, that's mice/rats.

They love paper and you can tell by the droppings it is rodents.

If it's just in the garage you are okay, the best way to keep them out of the garage is sweep on the door that leads to the outside.

The problem is, they can fit into very small holes and can climb walls. If they got into your attic, you need to set traps... or get pro help.

And yes, new or old homes, they go everywhere.

Good luck.

RCV said:
My husband found this hidden in our garage.  By looking at the picture, I thought it is rice.  No, it's paper.  Could this be a nest?  We just moved into our home in November and it's a brand new home.  What's the likelihood that this is infestation?

Those little black 'pebbles' look like rat/mouse turds.  The other stuff looks like it was chewed on.  I think you may have a mouse problem.  Pretty common in Orange County.  Put out traps with peanut butter on them and/or rat poison or call an exterminator.

Do you or your neighbors have fruit trees?  That attracts those little buggers like no other....

davenlei said:
RCV said:

Those little black 'pebbles' look like rat/mouse turds.  The other stuff looks like it was chewed on.  I think you may have a mouse problem.  Pretty common in Orange County.  Put out traps with peanut butter on them and/or rat poison or call an exterminator.

Do you or your neighbors have fruit trees?  That attracts those little buggers like no other....

Forgot to say, since it is a brand new home, you may have squatted on their home that was there before your home was built.

Crap.  The pest control guy has been bugging us to get their services and we always refuse.  A part of me thinks he implanted this to get their services.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Buy this and have it set to various frequency to deter certain rodents. Different frequency dials make this device versatile ranging from spiders, roaches to mouse and squirrel. Crank it up on loud also annoy mainlanders. Run it 24/7 and rodents will stay away from your garage. http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/70/60/69/13/0070606913311_AV_500X500.jpg

We will. Thanks for the tip! Also, we found a gap in our garage door. We will seal that gap as well. Whew!

Sealing a gap would not lock out the rodents.  Rats will chew through rubber and insulation just to get into your warm garage. The frequency will send them away to your neighbors home.

RCV, are you in the Cypress Village?

I've heard the Stonegate with some rodents issue last year but haven't heard any rodents sighting in CV yet.  However, I did hear concerns about possibility of rodents due to the new built on previous farm land.

Yes, we live in Cypress Village at Marigold. I haven't talked to any of our neighbors yet. I wonder if they are having the same problems..

irvinehomeshopper said:
Sealing a gap would not lock out the rodents.  Rats will chew through rubber and insulation just to get into your warm garage. The frequency will send them away to your neighbors home.

Yes, we bought an ultrasonic sound and trap, and emailed irvine pacific to get the gaps on out garage door fixed. We went to home depot and found a selection of seals but they do not match our garage door color. We'll see if they fix it. I hope they would.

RCV said:
Yes, we live in Cypress Village at Marigold. I haven't talked to any of our neighbors yet. I wonder if they are having the same problems..

I'm in the CV as well and please keep us posted.

You also might want to put a metal screen to cover that floor drain tube running from the laundry room floor to the yard.  I not sure how Marigold's house does it but at Mulberry, the floor drain runs directly to the side yard and it seem possible that insects and other critters can enter into your home through this drain.  Currently, I just stuff a unwanted towel at the opening to plug it temporary.  As soon my landscape was done,  I'll place a metal screen at the exterior opening.

Good idea.  I'll have to find out where our drain is.

Update - our trap got a little mouse! It is so disgusting.  I wonder how many there are.  My speculation is true, they are entering from the gap of our garage door.  Irvine Pacific hasn't responded to my request to fix it :(

RCV said:

Update - our trap got a little mouse! It is so disgusting.  I wonder how many there are.  My speculation is true, they are entering from the gap of our garage door.  Irvine Pacific hasn't responded to my request to fix it :(

I have some gap issue in our garage door also.  There are gaps between the garage door frame and wall but it was filled by my painter when they paint my garage.  But when the door is closed, there's also a gap between the floor and the garage door.  IP think it is due to the wood trim between the driveway and the garage door were little high in some area and prevent the garage door from close completely.  IP is planning to file the wood trim down and see if it will solve the issue. 

lnc said:
RCV said:

I have some gap issue in our garage door also.  There are gaps between the garage door frame and wall but it was filled by my painter when they paint my garage.  But when the door is closed, there's also a gap between the floor and the garage door.  IP think it is due to the wood trim between the driveway and the garage door were little high in some area and prevent the garage door from close completely.  IP is planning to file the wood trim down and see if it will solve the issue. 

It looks like your garage door motor just needs to be adjusted so the 'closed' stop point is a little lower.  It looks like the rubber seal on the bottom where there is no gap is not compressed at all which shows you have some 'room' still to adjust.

I just installed a chamberlain garage opener last weekend.  After you secure the garage door opener to your garage, and door, there is a way to adjust the garage door to the open and closed position.  On my chamberlain garage opener, there is:
~up arrow button
~set button
~down arrow button

To set the garage open and close position, you manipulate these 3 buttons.  It will remember where you set the garage door at the open and closed position after you complete the adjustment.

Here are some images to help you.
Adjustmentbutton.jpg

Adjust-the-Travel-of-Your-Garage-Door-by-Turning-the-Travel-Screws.png

Since I just bought the Chamberlain 2 weeks ago, it has these buttons.  Older models uses the "turn with screwdriver" method for travel control.

davenlei said:
lnc said:
RCV said:

It looks like your garage door motor just needs to be adjusted so the 'closed' stop point is a little lower.  It looks like the rubber seal on the bottom where there is no gap is not compressed at all which shows you have some 'room' still to adjust.

That's the first thing we attempted but unfortunately that's not the issue.  The rubber seal is completed compressed at both outer edge of garage door.  Let's just hope no little rat come through that little gap before it's been fixed. 

RCV said:

I forgot to give you guys an update. Irvine Pacific took care of the gaps on our garage door. They replaced the rubber on the sides of the garage and recalibrated the door so that it completely reaches the floor when it closes. I had to make a follow up but they fixed it.  No more mouse poops! ;) 

Back