Backyard Landscape Plans and Recommendations

BuddyLeo

As a new owner in Stonegate community, I am planning for my small backyard landscape. I understand plans need to be submitted to the HOA for approval. I have a few questions for the TI community to get your assistance:

1) Can you please share examples of plans and advice on do's and don'ts?

2) Can you please provide landscaper recommendations? I want quality but affordable workmanship.

Thanks!

Submit plans before you start work. Stick with the guidelines. Don't be fooled by contractors that tell you to deviate from approved plans with the "oh, we'll get that approved later" approach. I'm not familiar with the Stonegate HOA, but some HOAs are sticklers (as they should be) and will make people change hardscape if it doesn't meet the requirements. Contractors don't care about your relations with the HOA, nor with the fines and/or costs you may incur when you don't comply. They want to get in, get their money, and get out.

BTW, I think this thread more appropriately belongs in the "Owner's Issues" forum.

NYT said:
BTW, I think this thread more appropriately belongs in the "Owner's Issues" forum.
Additionally, there are at least 3 threads in that subforum that has contractor recommendations and contact information.

Use the Search bottom!!

Just kidding. :)

There are several....  Check out the list I compiled:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11117.0.html

Landscape:                                                           
                                        Jefferson Rand Landscape Inc.  (714)253-3167
                                        1439 W Chapman Ave # 297, Orange, CA 92868 

Sean www.savannascapes.com (800)951-5515

Galvan's Landscaping Inc.  Galvan09@sbcglobal.net  (714)345-4013

Aloha Concrete & Landscaping  (714)572-1232
                                          727 Lute Ave, Placentia CA 92870 owner: Mahe & Sam Liava'a 

Southwinds Landscaping  http://swlandscaping.com/  (949)854-0540
                                        3190 Airport Loop Drive No K-1. Costa Mesa, California 92626 

KS Landscape Design - Andru Kang  (949) 285-5359 or ks.landscapeanddesign@gmail.com

Quite a few people uses Aloha and KS recently.  Both did a lot of home in PP, Stonegate, and CV recently.  You should check out these two out first.

Someone once post a pic of landscaping design for submitting to HOA and I can't seem to find it.  ZeroLot also have a very good vetting review recently about the landscaping contractors but I don't know where she hide it.  I'll try to find it. 

I'm in the process of finding landscaping contractors too.  Just had the contact with KS and Aloha.  I'm just waiting for the quote and making the final decisions.

Also check out these threads:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,4096.0.html
                                               http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3893.0.html
                                               http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2707.0.html

Landscapers are only as good as their day laborers.  If your guy isn't managing your project because he's got a different project that's paying him more...you have to make sure you micro manage those day laborers because you let them make their own decisions you come out with some bad stuff.

I had this experience first hand.  Even with landscapers with a good reputation.  It pays off in the end...they'll get the work done faster to get rid of you and you make sure you get what you ask for.

Stonegate HOA requires you to send 4x6 color photos of the finished work to make sure you followed what you said you were going to do.  It doesn't have to be exact but it needs to at least make a good effort to follow the plans.

BuddyLeo said:
As a new owner in Stonegate community, I am planning for my small backyard landscape. I understand plans need to be submitted to the HOA for approval. I have a few questions for the TI community to get your assistance:

2) Can you please provide landscaper recommendations? I want quality but affordable workmanship.

Thanks!

Sup Buddy,

You want to use landscaper that worked on Mendocino properties many times.  If you use this contractor, you can just do the landscaping and submit the approval at the same time as they know ins and outs of what Stonegate HOA allows or not.  Below are 3 landscaper most of the Mendocinoneans used:

1.  Echo Family (Jo) - 949.533.4055
2.  Mullaney Construction (Scott) - 714.396.7388
3.  Aloha Landscaping (Mahe Liavaa) - 714.404.5657

I went with Aloha because of low cost.  You should get quotes from all of em.  I think. Mullaney is most used in Stonegate.

Hope this helps

Goriot said:
BuddyLeo said:

Thanks!

Sup Buddy,

You want to use landscaper that worked on Mendocino properties many times.  If you use this contractor, you can just do the landscaping and submit the approval at the same time as they know ins and outs of what Stonegate HOA allows or not.  Below are 3 landscaper most of the Mendocinoneans used:

1.  Echo Family (Jo) - 949.533.4055
2.  Mullaney Construction (Scott) - 714.396.7388
3.  Aloha Landscaping (Mahe Liavaa) - 714.404.5657

I went with Aloha because of low cost.  You should get quotes from all of em.  I think. Mullaney is most used in Stonegate.

Hope this helps

I can vouch for Mahe with Aloha, did a really good job. Mullaney did a couple of jobs in the neighborhood that looked nice as well.

I know it depends on what you want... But what do people usually spend on landscaping backyard?

Has anyone used Landmark Custom Landscape in Lake Forest?  If so any feedback on them?

I'm also starting my search for a landscaper to do my backyard.  Most likely, I'll use Aloha but Landmark seems to have a couple of good reviews on Yelp too.

bones said:
jmoney74 said:
I know it depends on what you want... But what do people usually spend on landscaping backyard?

Such a hard question to answer.  Depends on so many factors:  size of backyard, how much hardscape, building any structures, etc, etc.  Just to give you an idea, I'm on a 5500+ sf lot in PP and for what I want to do - prob $45k-60k (quoted based on rough design).  We're building one structure, building out the front yard, built in BBQ, building some planters for veggie garden, decent grass area, no concrete (mainly using stone and/or pavers).

Bones, for perspective, would you know the "usable area" of your front/backyard ?  Ours is about the same sq ft lot and around 2400 sf usable yard area.  We were budgeting around $20K-$25K, so somewhat shock with the $45K-$60K estimate  :'(

I'm in a small CV 10' yards.  The 10' is really a lie because it's really 9' + some inches.

Smaller yards are difficult to landscape due to the margin for error is NON existent.  If the landscaper messes up then the whole yards needs to be re-done.

Pathways, sprinklers, setbacks, etc can drive a homeowner crazy.  I've met with only one general contractor and he said that he can do whatever I want for my backyard.  That's NOT what I want to hear.  Tell me what I am ALLOWED TO DO with my backyard.

That's where Andru of KS Landscaping comes in.  He knows the PCM guidelines in and out and tells me what I'm allowed to do.  For example, we wanted a tree.  The tree requires a 3' setback from both corners.  That 3' setback means I would have very little pathway to walk in my yard due to the pillar of the California Room.  So I asked him if there was a tree that needs just 2' setback.  He named off another tree and we googled it and I liked the way the tree looks.  DONE!

I have no interested in reading the 100+ pages of HOA guidelines.  I read a few random pages and fell asleep.

That's why I hired KS Landscaping.  But that's just me and I always recommend to choose a landscaper that works well with you.  :)

bones said:
GH said:
bones said:
jmoney74 said:

Such a hard question to answer.  Depends on so many factors:  size of backyard, how much hardscape, building any structures, etc, etc.  Just to give you an idea, I'm on a 5500+ sf lot in PP and for what I want to do - prob $45k-60k (quoted based on rough design).  We're building one structure, building out the front yard, built in BBQ, building some planters for veggie garden, decent grass area, no concrete (mainly using stone and/or pavers).

Bones, for perspective, would you know the "usable area" of your front/backyard ?  Ours is about the same sq ft lot and around 2400 sf usable yard area.  We were budgeting around $20K-$25K, so somewhat shock with the $45K-$60K estimate  :'(

Sure.  My usable backyard is about 35 feet deep by 60 feet with a 15' front yard setback from sidewalk.  So it sounds similar to yours?  Are you building anything?  I'm guessing we'll prob end up closer to $60k than $45k. 

To be honest, $20k is really light for that size yard.  I spent $15k in my old PS condo's side yard.

Thanks.  we have an L shape backyard.  ~25 ft setback on the side and ~12 ft in the back.  We probably won't be building anything, just stone/pavers, maybe grass and plants on the perimeter.  I guess we've underestimated as we paid less than $10K on our current one (granted its way smaller and just all pavers with some empty area for plants, which we planted ourselves later). 

Back