Why TI is stale and how to fix it

I think better integration with IHB would be perfect.  People like to comment on homes so that will livin things up.

jmoney74 said:
I think better integration with IHB would be perfect.  People like to comment on homes so that will livin things up.
+1. Commenting on the IHB reviews would help bring in more diversity of discussion.
I've told others about TI since I think it's a great resource and I like following the threads. But others have essentially told me they're not interested because of what OS said (same dozen peeps talking about same few things). I don't know how you get more diversity of views, but more IHB integration seems like a good step.
I'm ok with the location bashing for its entertainment value but maybe its a turnoff to others

I don't really understand the question in so much as what is expected of TI?

TI is first and foremost a forum about real estate in Irvine and Orange County.  Where the new constructions are, where the market sits, information regarding purchasing a property, advice on what to do relating to buying homes, reviews/opinions about certain homes/construction/models, etc.

It has also branched out to include discussions about the relative pros and cons of various OC communities (i.e. Irvine, Tustin, BR, MV, etc.). 

A second layer of the forum are non-real estate related topics such as restaurants, things in the news, sports, etc.

I think TI does a great job relating to the core matters (paragraph nos. 1 and 2) but hit and miss on the ancillary things.

Question remains, what do people expect TI to be.

OpenSky said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I don't really understand the question in so much as what is expected of TI?

TI is first and foremost a forum about real estate in Irvine and Orange County.  Where the new constructions are, where the market sits, information regarding purchasing a property, advice on what to do relating to buying homes, reviews/opinions about certain homes/construction/models, etc.

It has also branched out to include discussions about the relative pros and cons of various OC communities (i.e. Irvine, Tustin, BR, MV, etc.). 

A second layer of the forum are non-real estate related topics such as restaurants, things in the news, sports, etc.

I think TI does a great job relating to the core matters (paragraph nos. 1 and 2) but hit and miss on the ancillary things.

Perhaps I'm missing the topical discussions that were informed / enlightened on the main blog that were enriched by the comments and discussion that followed. Content was curated. The collective benefitted.

Those nuggets happen on TI, but it seems better suited for "hey, anyone have a good referral for _____?"

It's not as accessible as it is, and I think that limits the audience. Hell, it took me a couple of weeks to figure out how to get a login for the site.

I can't speak for the logistics but as far as the commenting goes...most threads start off on topic until people run out of things to say.  Personally, I don't care for the personal interactions as posts but it's not terrible to me as a reader. 

My biggest complaint is that threads get off topic so it makes it hard to quickly read only the on topic posts in a thread. Most message boards like this have threads to post the standard off topic items to try to keep them out of the main threads.

But honestly - every message board has a problem that the same topics get talked about over and over.

paperboyNC said:
My biggest complaint is that threads get off topic so it makes it hard to quickly read only the on topic posts in a thread. Most message boards like this have threads to post the standard off topic items to try to keep them out of the main threads.

But honestly - every message board has a problem that the same topics get talked about over and over.

Agreed and that's why I want to know what exactly is the problem to be addressed.  You don't want to be so draconian that you stop all off-topic discussions but you also do not want it do digress into anything/everything.

I would recommend that people refrain from posting comments toward specific members...that's what the messaging system is for.  I like how people have a connection with others here but it is somewhat annoying to see a new post on a topic only to see two or three members commenting to each other.

Hmm... I don't know if TI is stale, I just don't think there is that many dissenting opinions other than what village is better and Irvine vs. Lake Forest (used to be Johns Creek).

Obviously the tide has turned, back in the IHB days, the majority would bash Irvine (include Mr. IrvineRenter/Larry) and there would be a few brave souls to fight which drove views. But once it shifted back to the Irvine lovers, the vocal haters gave up (yeah... that's right... I said that).

There are a few around who are still anti-Irvine, but they are far outnumbered and are not stubborn like the few Irvine lovers back in the IHB days.

As for combining with IHB, not much content gets posted there, but in the past zovall would have a link back to TI to discuss (seems like he hasn't done that with the latest posts). While it cuts down on anonymous posting, at least that builds the forum membership.

In fact, in the past month, I've seen more new posters than before (which someone attributed to zovall opening up the membership process). Sure, some of them get their questions boned by the "Use the Search Button" reply, but consider that a TI-baptism because someone still answers it regardless.

It's really up to the senior members to provide more content to discuss and I think what OpenSky is really asking for is me to post more polls. :)

And yes, I agree there is a lot of off-topic comments, but is that better or worse than NO comments?

Edit: Grammar.

irvinehomeowner said:
Obviously the tide has turned, back in the IHB days, the majority would bash Irvine (include Mr. IrvineRenter/Larry) and there would be a few brave souls to fight which drove views. But once it shifted back to the Irvine lovers, the vocal haters gave up (yeah... that's right... I said that).

I was on IHB and I never really go the sense that people attack Irvine the city but rather the WTHness of the sellers and the craziness of the market.  Irvine was the extreme of that but you could have done the same for just about anywhere in the United States during that time.

It is interesting to me that there has been so much recent animosity about Irvine around here.  I respect if people don't want to live in Irvine but I do not understand why there would any bashing of people who chooses to live in Irvine.  Yes the houses are expensive but there are real facts and reasons as to why it is a desirable place to live.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea but there is no garden of Eden.

Meggie said:
I enjoy the discussions/comments/bantering (not so much the cat fights).  However, when I want to look up the latest prices of let's say Baker Ranch vs Phase 1 prices, it really is a pain to go through 45 pages of comments.  I wish there is a summary page of pertinent information only or a way to have the informative postings on the top of the thread (locked) or to save certain postings in our account.  Or I guess I can copy and paste the info that I wanted to my desktop but usually I don't need it until much later and thus have to find it again buried in the thread.

Slickdeals.net has a wiki as the second post of every thread that can be edited by anyone (not just the original poster) which really helps keep pertinent information / attachments / links / photos easy to find.

It would definitely make this site better if we could add that feature.

paperboyNC said:
Slickdeals.net has a wiki as the second post of every thread that can be edited by anyone (not just the original poster) which really helps keep pertinent information / attachments / links / photos easy to find.

It would definitely make this site better if we could add that feature.

That would be perfect. 

My two problems with TI are:

1. Off topic discussions that have nothing to do with the original post.

2. Anonymity which allows people to say stupid/negative/racist things that they otherwise wouldn't say if people knew who they were.

NYT said:
My two problems with TI are:

1. Off topic discussions that have nothing to do with the original post.

2. Anonymity which allows people to say stupid/negative/racist things that they otherwise wouldn't say if people knew who they were.
+1.  Also, as the OP stated, there isn't enough diversity on this site.  Same dozen people talking about the same things. 

To be frank, people make such a big deal about stuff that's meaningless, IMHO. 

Your kid not going to the #1 ranked school in Irvine?  I'm sure your kid will be fine and grow up successfully.

Living close to the landfill or a freeway?  Your families will be fine.

Low cost housing?  It's not like there's an uptick in crime or a problem in the neighborhood schools.

Too much ethnic talk.  Yeah, I said it.  Who cares what ppl in China and Korea do?  And I'm Asian.

However, This place is a great resource for housing and real estate.  No other site is so up to date. 

The vitriol has to go tho.  Probably keeps noobs from posting more.

Back