Why it?s difficult to develop meaningful relationships in Irvine

roundcorners

I wanted to start a thread compiling some of my experiences in trying to develop relationships around town in Irvine.  These are just my general observations and personal experiences; I welcome dissenting experiences and contrary opinions.

1) Time constraints (Work) - Yes, we know everyone these days are busy, however when both parents usually work to help pay the mortgage, it just makes things a lot worst.  One can come to the conclusion that the higher the lifestyle-to-income ratio the more stressed out the families are and the more external relationships fall to the way side.  In addition to being highly talented & actively recruited by the job centers around Irvine, most Irvinites are overworked or addicted to work.  Long ago are the times in our culture where we can simply pop on by unannounced at our neighbor?s doorsteps; there are still some older established neighborhoods where the time honored tradition is still upheld or remembered; when you interrupt an elder-empty nester in their front yard, they are not in a hurry to end the conversation with you.  Unfortunately for much newer neighborhoods like Irvine, there never was a tradition for unannounced interruptions; permission was never given to interrupt someone?s time.

2) Too many Asians ? Asians are not known for their social and interpersonal relationship skills.  You will probably never hear a Chinese mom telling their children to focus on building meaningful friendships, developing their emotional wellbeing, and working on communication and conflict resolutions skills.

3) Too much diversity ? I actually think there is such a thing.  We all know diversity is a good thing but without work and effort, too much of it hinders social relations; again especially when we live in a culture of political hypersensitivity and context without widely accepted general social contracts.  It is hard to say hello, and start a conversation when roughly 4 out of 10 people you meet doesn?t speak English.  I also honestly forget what the fine differences between Arabic, Persian, Persian-Iranian & Armenians (sorry).  I can understand most people?s dilemmas when trying to determine when I say I?m Taiwanese versus Chinese; and the subtle political and historical tensions between the two.  Overall diversity conversation can be a good thing say in a university; but not at the pocket parks, Club House or Trader Joe's where conversation is mostly kept to a shallow polite minimum and the chance of a deeper relationship where parties decide to exchange contact information are about 1 in 30.

4) Image of wealth & independence ? From the cheapest IAC to the multi-million dollar Newport Coast estates TIC needs to make sure each property projects an image of wealth, power and influence.  Being residences of these properties, the occupants naturally take on these characteristics.  Even if you?re dirt poor, living pay check to pay check in your Woodbury affordable housing or Shady Canyon house; the pressure to maintain the image of wealth surpasses the very real need to: ask for financial or any assistance, feel included in various social circles, and show vulnerability to others.  People on the Irvine Ranch simply see each other as wealthy, beautiful, independent people without a need or care in the world.  Everyone automatically assumes that everyone else has a wealth of relationships at their disposal; therefore reluctant to appear desperate for a friend.

5) Real wealth & independence ? Despite the appeared wealth there are a lot of real wealthy people in Irvine.  I recently meet up with a friend?s parents who live in Newport Coast; it blows me away every time I go up there, how people can live so isolated and disconnected from those around them; real wealthy people do not want to be found, disturbed, accidently run into or ?solicited?; especially at their residence.  I had to pass one community gates, two security guards, a driveway house gate and a gate before the front door.  I guess it is understandable that wealthy people do not want to be found; but the average Irvine residence have also adopted this mentality that their time and presence is worth much more than yours; and they can?t possibly stop their schedule to start, develop or maintain a worthy relationship.

6) Homogeneous life stage ? I used to think that, when an entire neighborhood is in the same life stage that it is a great thing; people can easily relate to one another as they are all in the same situations.  I have come to realize each life stage has its particular challenges; it?s hard to see the forest from the trees when everyone has the same perspective.  In our culture peers see each other as competition, directly or indirectly.  Upon introduction, the typical Irvine residence can usually sizes each other up fairly quickly, both parties can typically tell right away, who makes more money, who lives in the bigger house and drive the better car.  There is bound to be tension between neighbors when the median age of an entire city is in their most competitive career driven life stage; when very educated parents hover so closely over their children?s lives even before birth; when every family is already so self-focused with limited resources that no one has anything left to give to anyone else.  A lack in life stage diversity creates more conflicts than it alleviates; without wise proper perspectives, grace and modest voices from elder neighbors everyone is just trying to fill their house with as much material junk as possible, cram as many useless hours of busy activity; hopping to impress peers they don?t like, spend money they don?t have, all to keep from examining their pointless lives.

7) Car culture ? Orange County unlike Los Angeles has been designed with the car in mind.  From the money spent in street and freeway infrastructure to the streets in Irvine which speeds the cars through a particular neighborhood, the people I see around me love their cars.  With the ratio of the population density to the number of walkable sidewalk and trails I should see more foot traffic than I do on a daily basis.

8) No reason to be outside ? There is a general agoraphobic condition afflicting Irvine; yes the parks do have some kids during certain times, the pools do have some kids swimming (summer only), the common areas do have some people hanging out; but where is everyone else?  I keep hearing the density, but from walking around just Woodbury, shopping at the Town Center, and driving around; I?m guessing most people simply stay inside, go out when they absolutely need to work or shop and quickly retreat back inside the safety of their cramp, familiar quarters.

Starting, developing and maintaining relationships in our culture in general is already difficult enough.  We don?t need addition external forces to compound the problem.  Being in sales I naturally try to greet and even start a conversation with anyone I meet around town.  The wife and I are usually intentional about trying to smile, complement or offer some small talk.  Most experiences are welcomed and reciprocated; but if it weren?t for our efforts, we can easily go weeks without eye contact a friendly greeting or chat.  We are tired to being, frankly so outgoing; we love how in other cities, people easily approach us in coffee shops, grocery stores and simply walking down streets.  For a change, we love how other parents approach us to ask us, how old our child is, where we live and other small talk.

I attend a church that is very focused on community and relationships; yet if it weren?t for those 15 minutes each week on Sundays, I probably won?t see many of my Irvine friends/neighbors.  I would sometimes observe the congregation after certain moving messages regarding finding community at church and at large; some people would be moved to tears; however almost immediately after the message I would see the same people walking straight out to the parking lot, getting into their luxury cars by themselves and returning to their presume lonely lives.

It is hard to say hello, and start a conversation when roughly 4 out of 10 people you meet doesn?t speak English.
?

really?  Where in Irvine do you hang out?  I may be sheltered, but I can probably count the number of people who don't speak english I've encountered in Irvine on hand and those were people over 70.

RC-
I think what you posted can be said of many towns, and not just Irvine.  And the Asians you seem to stereotype as so money-hungry can be applied to whites as well.  Just go to the Ports Streets and read the real estate listings.  Just like Woodbridge, there is the whole "inside and outside the loop" stratification.  I was in CDM looking at houses and the real estate agent said where I was looking- I mentioned many areas, including the area around Dover Shores.  She responded, "Don't go to the "other side".  They are a bunch of wannabes.  WHen they get the first chance, they come over to this side"." 

Nothing amuses me more when I am driving and see a white guy in a Mercedes S-class AMG looking oh so smug.  THen I see he's driving into the apartment complex there by MacArthur/Bonita Canyon.  The image of wealth.  So, it's not just Asians that you seem to criticize for class status.  ANd it's not just Irvine.

Regarding diversity, if you lived in the good old Midwest, you'd likely feel out of place- and crave the diversity you so criticize.  We are lucky to have this diversification in SoCal.  And regarding the English- I am sure  most speak English, they just choose to speak in their native tongue.  What's wrong with that?

Anyways, I hope you have a better experience in Long Beach. 

thanks for the input guys... I was really hoping for dissenting opinions and experiences, but it's still interesting that most of you are validating almost all my anecdotal theories...

anyways.. we are still in Woodbury, our lease ends in April, long story, but we have been staying with my folks in Torrance getting help with the kid and such for the past few weeks, I have been back a few times to check on the cat, and every time I pull up to WB, it really just does feel like a expensive storage unit...

I hope you guys don't categorize me as being an Irvine hater now, on the contrary, I actually still enjoy Irvine very much.  A lot of friends often compare Irvine to Disneyland or Vegas; they are referring to all the facade, glitter the stucco and conformity.  I love going to Disneyland, not so much Vegas but yeah, I love going there and loosing myself in the "make belief"; BUT, one thing we really realize is that we love visiting, but we don't want to live here anymore...

Irvine will always be in our lives, our church is here, and we do have lots of friends here; I'm sure we'll be back for play dates, work and recreation, but it'll just feel so much better at the end of the day to go back home somewhere else...

I really want to hear my theories in the older parts of Irvine, I meet a guy recently at the Volvo repair shop who lives in The Ranch, and by all means, me describes that place very differently...  But what I'm mainly referring to is Woodbury, TR and Watermarke...

I have this saying in sales, love me or hate me, just don't forget me; and that is the same way I feel about Irvine; people are often so polarize about the city and that always intrigued me as I often feel the same manic way... Given some distance and time I think I have really made my peace...

jumpcut said:
I'm always amused by the endless stream of former- and never- Irvine residents who feel the need to obsess about everything Irvine.  What other city of Irvine's size has 3 1/2 blogs dedicated just to it's real estate?  (I'm including OCR as the half-blog.)  Irvine must be pretty special to evoke such passion.  I have to say I love it here.

Taeyang needs a girl...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuuiBjL09KY[/youtube]

hahaha... where do you get these videos? :)

jumpcut said:
roundcorners said:
I have this saying in sales, love me or hate me, just don't forget me

Really?  You'd rather be hated than forgotten?

I think that capsulizes the problem I have with pushy salesmen.

wow.. of all my good points you choose to quote this one?  hey jump,, if this is your best attempt to hijack, so be it...

that is a motto that I remind myself... it is my definition of Hate not the customers... what I mean by it is that I'm going to always stick to certain principles professionally, I'm not going to do anything unethical, unprofitable or tedious just to get the sale, I'm not going to just over promise and have headaches later... I will tell the truth, my honest opinions and my limitations and let the customer take it or leave it... when they Hate me is probably when they are frustrated with me, and I don't mind one bit walking away from the business...

They usually get burned sometime down the future with another sales person that over promised and did a poor job... some return, some don't but I don't care... So one thing I make sure is that they don't forget what I said and later the good clients do return, eventually...

RC,

Good to see you post. I guess you've been busy transitioning to LB.

I can definitely see several of your points but I don't think it is limited to just Irvine. I could easily imagine your observations would be valid in many OC / LA area cities.

In general it is harder to make friends as you get older. You don't have the same easy social circles that you did as a student. Once you start working, you realize people keep themselves pretty busy and carry many responsibilities. This often leaves less time for bonding.

Unless you have kids or have a significant social / sports / religious affiliation, I can see how meeting any new friends in Irvine can be tough. You would have to make a conscious effort to meet folks or join organizations to do so. Even then it is no guarantee you will find "meaningful relationships."

roundcorners said:
2) Too many Asians ? Asians are not known for their social and interpersonal relationship skills.  You will probably never hear a Chinese mom telling their children to focus on building meaningful friendships, developing their emotional wellbeing, and working on communication and conflict resolutions skills.

WOW!!!  To make a blanket statement like that againt ALL Chinese moms is unfair and insensitive.  I am NOT Chinese but still find that remark offensive or at least very ignorant.  There are thousand of Chinese descents living in Irvine, and I am sure there are many different types of Chinese people.  In my son's boy scout troop, there are almost a dozen Chinese kids whose parents are VERY involved and are trying to teach their kids to be socially responsible and are working to develop their kids into well rounded leaders who would excel in emotional wellbeing, communication skills, conflict resoultions, and leadership skills. 

I read the responses to your post on the other website.  I agree with most everything that was said there - that what you are criticizing is endemic to most of Southern California. 

I still can't get over how you lament how 40% of people in Irvine don't speak english as well as "Irvine is too diverse" and in the same post you celebrate the greatness of Long Beach.  In my experience, Long Beach is 20x more diverse than Irvine with a much larger percentage of the population who doesn't speak English.

Maybe you are only talking about Belmont Shore, but if that is the case I have found the people living there to be much more materialistic and consumer conscious than the typical person in Irvine.  However you did mention that you spend most of your time in Woodbury.  I honestly have to say I never go to that part of Irvine unless TIC is offering free food or coupons.

Coltrane's response sums it up for me (although I don't live in a predom white 'hood):
http://www.ocreader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11625#p11625

(I am linking AND quoting it because Lane might pop a capillary)

Coltrane from OCR said:
RC,

I always appreciate your posts and your willingness to put very personal thoughts on the internet for our consideration and discussion. However, a couple words of caution about this topic:

1. Be careful of broad generalizations. Your comments apply to many cities and ethnicities within Orange County (and in American life in general). I wouldn't drop your experiences at the doorstep of Asians in Irvine, for example. I live in a predominantly white neighborhood in Newport (yeah, yeah, aren't they all?) and I recognize just about every difficulty of which you speak. I have friends in Fullerton, Ladera, Dana Point, San Bernardino and out of state who have all complained about these same things. I think to some extent you are describing the challenges of life in 21st Century America...not just Irvine.

2. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Meaningful friendships are meaningful because they aren't easy. If we could all walk up to a person at Starbucks and discover our soulmate, it wouldn't mean as much. Even in the most dysfunctional communities, there are good friendships to be found. It also depends on your perspective. Also, and I'm not speaking to you personally because I don't know you, but sometimes we need to recognize that there may be good quality friendships going on around us...they just don't involve us. My point is, sometimes "it's not you, it's me," and sometimes "it is you." Again, that was the royal "you" and a generic comment, not directed at you personally.

And this comes from someone who is seriously considering the idea of leaving So Cal for some of the very same reasons you describe. But I'm also willing to acknowledge that partly, it's me. There are good people here, and in Irvine, and everywhere, if we invest the time to look. Some places may be harder than others, but that's what makes the result rewarding.
While I understand some of the generalities and possible stereotypes you are talking about... it's all relative. You will probably find similar issues in Long Beach or Hawaii or London or Zimbabwe.

The opposite of what you posted can be problematic too. Just as you may find it frustrating to connect with your neighbors or other people in Irvine... other people may find it frustrating to deal with people who are always "in their bizness". Personally, I think Irvine gives you a balance of both... my neighbors are not nosy but will lend a hand if asked. And as much as you want to develop deep relationships with those around you... there is also a time for space and privacy.

I experience a lot of what RC mentioned at my costa mesa apartment complex -- but mostly it is our own fault.    There are neighborhoods in orange county where one household (or maybe two or three households) create a community, but it takes a lot of work and free time on their part.  And in some cases a desire to be known as the cool house in the neighborhood.    Also this effect never extends very far - not more than a few streets at most, no where near as large as an Irvine "neighborhood" usually is -- and my experience of it tends to require yards and driveways and things.  Like my coworker has movie nights in his neighborhood, his stay at home wife and the other stay at home ladies around the neighborhood make snacks and put them out and he sets up a projector in the garage, and all the kids in the neighborhood come sit in the driveway and watch a movie together.  But there are a lot of factors required there -- you need a space to comfortably host that many people, and it  kind of needs to be an out door space so that people feel comfortable coming and going, showing up late, etc and don't feel they are disrupting their host.      My parents are the "older" couple in a neighborhood that has recently had all the old people selling their homes (over the last 10 years or so)  to young families or couples.  Most people know my mom  will babysit in a pinch, or feed their dog, and for halloween they have a potluck in the driveway with a fire pit  and such and people hang out while the kids go trick or treat.    But this didn't just HAPPEN, my mom doesn't work, really likes children, spends a lot of time gardening in the front where she can chat with people as they come by, knows all the other dog owners in the neighborhood, suggested and coordinates the potluck, etc.

Even the "chinese" people who -- hey, stereotypes exist for a reason, ok? -- would normally not initiate this kind of thing themselves  will turn up and have a good time if they are invited.  Immigrants usually WANT to be part of the american experience, but they aren't always sure how to go about doing it.  Sometimes you have to go out of your way to say "hey we're having a potluck, here is what that means, here is the kind of stuff other people will bring, its expected you bring about XX portions, its ok to show up any time between X and Y"  --  people almost always repond well to that kind of personal attention, but you just can't assume that they will understand what an invitation means without more explanation.    I think since my mom married a non-western immigrant it helps her know what kinds of things she will need to go out of her way to explain to people.    And she goes out of her way to invite non-native americans to Thanksgiving dinner and stuff, to give them the experience.

In general its not that we don't all want to be friendly, but people are very worried that they might make someone else feel uncomfortable or obligated.  If you live in very tight narrow quarters and your neighbor declines an invitation, will you both feel super awkward for the rest of your time as neighbors?    Its like a generalized social anxiety tha tmore and more people xperience in the current times -- a lot of people seem to think that being FRIENDLY and neighborly means being FRIENDS  or having common interests.  You can have friendly neighborhood relationships without being BFFs but people sort of have forgotten this.  I think one of the reasons that non-western immigrants get blamed for that a little is that in a way they ARE to blame --- they don't have the same cultural background or expectations so you might think that you are sending out subtle signals and they think you are some kind of crazy person that stares at them a lot. 

And yes, plenty of people move here and start to create that cultural dictionary on their own but there are plenty of other people who don't or can't or don't really have the natural inclination...etc. 

Blueberry East said:
What happened to the OC Reader? I read the responses there and expected everyone agreeing and bashing Irvine. Instead the responses are thoughtful and well balanced. What's going on?

I find myself agreeing with Coltrane's response.

Totally agree. Pleasantly surprised.

RC:

Arabic: language spoken in Arab countries in the Middle East (Saudia Arabia, Yemen, etc)
Persian/Iranian: people who come from Iran. Some people say "Persian," which is the more ancient name for the area, and some say "Iranian"
Armenia: someone from Armenia

I think that what RC described is pretty typical of modern society, not just Irvine. In my Irvine neighborhood, you can basically expect a smile or a "hi" when you see someone on the street, some casual chitchat with other moms in the park, etc. That's fine with me. Sure, it would be great to make a terrific new friend, but I don't expect to become bosom buddies with my neighbors just because we happen to live on the same street.

roundcorners said:
I was really hoping for dissenting opinions and experiences, but it's still interesting that most of you are validating almost all my anecdotal theories...

Hi RC,

I have a question for you.  I don't understand what you mean by the posts are almost validating your anecdotal theories? 

So that's how it is... Pat posts and deletes the Hatorade? stuff on TI but puts the golden stuff on OCR. Well...  since I'm the resident ContentPilferer?, here is PatStar dropping the knowledge that rocks the socks:
http://www.ocreader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11626#p11626
You should have lived next door to me. But then again, the type of socializing I tend to do with my neighbors might not have been consistent with early rising on Sunday morning. ;) In all seriousness, your experience here has not been mine. I have made great friendships in Irvine, and hope (plan) to maintain those as I transition out of Irvine. By the way, my departure from Irvine has nothing to do with the people here and everything to do with the perceived value to cost of housing. But that is another topic we have beat to death.

Anyway, I would bet that most people count 90% of their close friendships from two places: Work and school. I'm not a church-goer, but maybe others count that as well. Setting aside church, I think your may have issues with those other two areas:

Job: In your particular job you are not really grounded any one place. With no office you have no "water cooler" to hang around. You don't see the same people each day, and familiarity builds relationships. Probably no company picnics, volunteer days at the food bank or beach cleanup or holiday parties and such, right? Those are all relationship building opportunities. And in your job, that lack of an "office" is a big void.

School: When I say school, at this stage in life new 'school' relationships are related to your child's school. Yes, I still have old school friends, too --- but over time you generally have less in common with old friends unless you have kids the same age. Most of our newer (Irvine) friends are folks we have met through our daugther's school and activity friends. You get to know the other parents at the many school functions, you arrange playdates, and presto --- new friends. In honesty, we have trouble managing the number of potential relationships our child generates. I am certain you will find the same thing --- once your child starts school. Be patient, those opportunities will come.

Anyway, best of luck to you in the LBC.
And the great thing... we get a PatStar GemODaMunth? and his post count stays at 88.

He is so right about work. Having been a contractor for many years, being fulltime at an office does create relationships that are a bit more meaningful. The school thing is right on too... especially when you go to the various birthday parties for kids in the class (and have your own).

But I do want to add that my closest relationships are still the ones I made in high school (or before) and more so the ones I made in college. Maybe that's different for me but my best friends are all from when I was young and stupid... because I guess people won't befriend me now that I'm old and stupid.

irvinehomeowner said:
So that's how it is... Pat posts and deletes the Hatorade? stuff on TI but puts the golden stuff on OCR. Well...  since I'm the resident ContentPilferer?, here is PatStar dropping the knowledge that rocks the socks:
http://www.ocreader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11626#p11626
You should have lived next door to me. But then again, the type of socializing I tend to do with my neighbors might not have been consistent with early rising on Sunday morning. ;) In all seriousness, your experience here has not been mine. I have made great friendships in Irvine, and hope (plan) to maintain those as I transition out of Irvine. By the way, my departure from Irvine has nothing to do with the people here and everything to do with the perceived value to cost of housing. But that is another topic we have beat to death.

Anyway, I would bet that most people count 90% of their close friendships from two places: Work and school. I'm not a church-goer, but maybe others count that as well. Setting aside church, I think your may have issues with those other two areas:

Job: In your particular job you are not really grounded any one place. With no office you have no "water cooler" to hang around. You don't see the same people each day, and familiarity builds relationships. Probably no company picnics, volunteer days at the food bank or beach cleanup or holiday parties and such, right? Those are all relationship building opportunities. And in your job, that lack of an "office" is a big void.

School: When I say school, at this stage in life new 'school' relationships are related to your child's school. Yes, I still have old school friends, too --- but over time you generally have less in common with old friends unless you have kids the same age. Most of our newer (Irvine) friends are folks we have met through our daugther's school and activity friends. You get to know the other parents at the many school functions, you arrange playdates, and presto --- new friends. In honesty, we have trouble managing the number of potential relationships our child generates. I am certain you will find the same thing --- once your child starts school. Be patient, those opportunities will come.

Anyway, best of luck to you in the LBC.
And the great thing... we get a PatStar GemODaMunth? and his post count stays at 88.

He is so right about work. Having been a contractor for many years, being fulltime at an office does create relationships that are a bit more meaningful. The school thing is right on too... especially when you go to the various birthday parties for kids in the class (and have your own).

But I do want to add that my closest relationships are still the ones I made in high school (or before) and more so the ones I made in college. Maybe that's different for me but my best friends are all from when I was young and stupid... because I guess people won't befriend me now that I'm old and stupid.

"In honesty, we have trouble managing the number of potential relationships our child generates."

Haha.. why did i read this as, " we have trouble fulfilling all the orders that my child generates in leads." I guess.. i have my marketing hat on right now. :)

Patrick Star said:
jumpcut said:
Blueberry East said:
What happened to the OC Reader? I read the responses there and expected everyone agreeing and bashing Irvine. Instead the responses are thoughtful and well balanced. What's going on?

They're ok over there...their bark is worse than their bite!  ;)

I had a meaningful post here, and then I thought about it and decided that it might be a little too deep for TI.  So I'll just recommend that a good way to meet friends is via soju bombs.  Here is a demonstration of how that works:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4s6H4ku6ZY&ob=av2e[/youtube]

Oh, and I needed to get back to 88 posts after deleting the other one.  So what better way than with a little Far East Movement?

Too deep? Why? I hope you don't mean that in an I-think-I'm-too-smart-for-you-bozos kind of way...

Do you want to know what I hate in a neighborhood?  Youtube videos.  I'm sure it's generational, but I grew up in a time when interaction on the internet was limited to....  well there was no interaction on the internet when I was a teenager and college student.

I suppose it's time for me to upgrade to a better computer.

We've initiated two block parties at the end of our motor court.  Almost everyone in close vicinity who were invited showed up with finger foods/desserts and everyone said what a good time they were having and glad that we did it.  Our neighborhood has Koreans, Vietnamese, Caucasians, and Persians and everyone seemed to have a good time and we all got this close feeling.  We do say hi when we bump into each other and make small talk once in a while but that closeness we felt the night of our block party only last for that night.  I think that we don't know each other well enough to make a meaningful conversation and not all of us have stuff in common.  I think that if we regularly had a block party (say once a month or even twice/three times a month), I think we can grow a more meaningful relationship. 

I know that at our old apt., 4- 5 families got together every Sunday during the summer for a summer bbq at the pool and we felt pretty close to everyone during the summer.  But as soon as we stopped, it was hard to continue that feeling.  So as someone above mentioned, it takes a lot of work and you have to have a venue to see and do stuff with them on a regular continuous basis.

I'm not sure I would want to develop a DMR (deep meaningful relationship) with my next door neighbors.

While some people envision a utopia where your best friend is 10 steps away... realistically... I'm not sure how many of us want to be that close to their friends. Sometimes you need to maintain your privacy. Even relatives don't necessarily yearn to live next door to each other... you could end up like 'Everybody Loves Raymond'.

IrvinePilot said:
But you'll have to admit it is convenient to have a Level 6+ DMR close by in case you need to have a DMD (deep meaningful discussion) after an argument with your s.o. at 2 am.
Maybe I'm an aberration... I don't need to have a DMD with any of my friends after a disagreement with my SO. I just work it out with her.

Back