Orchard Hills - Messina by TRI Pointe Homes

ps99472

messina_zpsc03166f3.jpg
http://www.tripointehomes.com/Community-Messina-at-Orchard-Hills-40.cfm

Site is up, still no floorplans, prices start in the mid $1 millions (~$427/sq ft)

Messina2_zps3f4af716.jpg

Messian plan 2 can opt out to 7 bedrooms!  Most bang for the buck floorplan at Orchard Hills?  But I would still go for plan 3 with the high ceiling, circular staircase entrance...drool.

No site map yet, but looking at the overall OH village map, most of Messina will be laid out in NW-SE orientation.  Looks like a view of your neighbor's house is what you're getting here.

The stone inside of the Plan 3's circular staircase was gorgeous, but it would realistically be a pain cleaning. Disappointingly, the protruding window on the staircase was not a window seat (if it was, it would have a nice view). While we were waiting for the tram, a Vietnamese man and his wife were carrying 3 bags stuffed with something inside. Hoarding food? But don't worry, it just gets more funny. In front of the sales office, one of their bags popped open since it was not tied tight enough and everything flew out of the bag. The children starting playing with the various food items, while their mothers were trying to grab them. The saleslady was looking out of the Plan 1 balcony with curiosity. What a scene! ;D

??? said:
The stone inside of the Plan 3's circular staircase was gorgeous, but it would realistically be a pain cleaning. Disappointingly, the protruding window on the staircase was not a window seat (if it was, it would have a nice view). While we were waiting for the tram, a Vietnamese man and his wife were carrying 3 bags stuffed with something inside. Hoarding food? But don't worry, it just gets more funny. In front of the sales office, one of their bags popped open since it was not tied tight enough and everything flew out of the bag. The children starting playing with the various food items, while their mothers were trying to grab them. The saleslady was looking out of the Plan 1 balcony with curiosity. What a scene! ;D

So they took bottled water and other free food? Embarassing

??? said:
Wow! Are you serious?

messina2_zps34049ac1.jpg

messina1_zps9f137cfa.jpg

894D6753-774E-4C7B-8BDA-797C5E572705_zps4ws1c8ry.jpg

The circular staircase didn't take my breath away.  Kinda disappointed.  I guess I was expecting a more open higher ceiling effect.  It felt cramped with a nice curved staircase in the corner.  And because it was curved, it actually takes away your stepping space, as each step tapers toward the inner curve (can lead to slips and falls).  I believe wider circular staircase executions will not have this issue. 

The rest of plan 3 is pretty good, I love the inner courtyard, the master deck overlooking it is a nice getaway.  The model has the office/3rd garage, but you can option it out to a MIL suite with its own entrance. 

Plan 2 you enter into a wall..... no thanks.

??? said:
The stone inside of the Plan 3's circular staircase was gorgeous, but it would realistically be a pain cleaning.

They are indeed gorgeous, an easily $10k+ job.  Don't worry to much about the cleaning, it's your cleaning lady's problem. :)

Eh, the plan 3's circular staircase I could do without. I personally didn't like the stone wall (at least not that particular stone, which was overdone throughout the home). I didn't care of the downstairs of plan 3. No good place to put the TV and watch from the kitchen. I did really like the upstairs of that plan, though.

Plan 2's downstairs was well done. The entryway was less than spectacular (walking into a wall, as someone mentioned). But, the indoor/outdoor layout of the plan was quite incredible. Again, not a great spot to put TV while watching from kitchen, but somewhat doable. Unfortunately, the only place to put the TV will result in glare from the opposite windows. Don't builders plan for this?

Downstairs Plan 1 reminds me a lot of Plan 1 of The Grove at Lambert Ranch, miniaturized.

Finally got around to seeing Messina.

We accidentally missed the first entrance and went through the north entrance and then had to take Settler's all the way back down to Messina. It did give us a view of how The Groves is laid out. Weird how there are not many culdesac tracts in the gated side, while Strada is full of them.

Plan 1 had that weird super island. It would be okay if there wasn't a nook area right next to it so it seemed a bit redundant. Maybe that could make the dining area more of a flex space so it can become a parlor/den/formal living space. The upstairs seemed a bit inefficient to me. It only had 3 brs and a loft and the secondary bedrooms were not very big. Seems like they should have been able to fit at least 4brs and a loft.

Plan 2 I liked a little more although the nook area was really small. At least it had a tandem garage (which the model had turned into an outdoor kitchen). The upstairs was a much better use of space as it had 4brs and a loft. The donut courtyard is so 70s and I understand what they are trying to do but it seems like a waste of space to me... or at least have it so it opens to the backyard somewhere.

I did like Plan 3 the best even though the circular staircase was not up to ps9 standards. I found it unique that it had 2 stairs so this one had a vertical izz-0 layout. At least the donut courtyard was smaller and the interior deck of the master was a nice touch. I really liked the 3CL-garage configuration and there was even a space for an exterior office/workout room.

The master bedrooms did not seem that large to me and the master closets were tiny for 3500sf+ homes. My wife said that's what you use one of the bedrooms for (except for Plan 1 which only has 3 upstairs brs).

Did not get a chance to see ps9's breathtaking LaVitas even though they were across the street. Drove by and those courtyard... err... paseo layouts are strange. You better like your neighbors at that price point.

For $1.5m+... I think I would look for something in Newport Beach than buy one of these.

Nice review IHO.  I'm generally not a fan of interior courtyards but Messina's work well.  For plan 2, if a buyer opts for the outdoor kitchen, the area flows nicely from courtyard to outdoor kitchen to loggia .  And with the optional stacking doors indoor/outdoor space becomes seemless. Not sure how it would work with the standard tandem garage in place, but I bet most buyers will option out the tandem as either a bedroom or the outdoor kitchen.  The nook is optional and I agree, seems redundant.  The space becomes much more open without the optional built-in nook seating and removes the pony wall which closes down the space IMO.

Plan 3 is interesting.  It's polarizing with the circular staircase and the optional casita bedroom.  What I didn't like about plan 3 was the very small and oddly shaped upstairs bonus room.  It would be an odd setup for a traditional play area/second TV area for the kids.  I do like the outdoor retreat off the master bedroom.

Not a fan of Plan 1.

Back