New High School Boundaries

test

Guess who bought where thinking they were going to Northwood High will now be going to Landfill High, excuse me, Jailhouse High along with the 4,000 renters from Los Olivos?

30bl0uw.jpg

This will piss off a lot of parents who just bought their million dollar postage size lots from TIC.

I'm don't really understand this fascinations with which HS a community is assigned to.  Isn't it the students population that makes a HS great and now the other way around ?

For example, IF the Laguna Altura kids are the smart ones and thus partly contribute to making Uni High topnotch.  If they all move to the Great Park high school, I would assume they will help make the GPHS also a  top notch school (and not the GPHS making them "dumber") ?  Unless of course one HS have much better facilities, teachers and environment than the others (which I don't think is the case)

GH said:
I'm don't really understand this fascinations with which HS a community is assigned to.  Isn't it the students population that makes a HS great and now the other way around ?

For example, IF the Laguna Altura kids are the smart ones and thus partly contribute to making Uni High topnotch.  If they all move to the Great Park high school, I would assume they will help make the GPHS also a  top notch school (and not the GPHS making them "dumber") ?  Unless of course one HS have much better facilities, teachers and environment than the others (which I don't think is the case)

dont confuse people here by bringing good common sense to the discussion.

iacrenter said:
This will piss off a lot of parents who just bought their million dollar postage size lots from TIC.

Don't parents like the newer high schools with better tech and facilities?  Isn't that one of the reasons why parents like Northwood High, because it is the "newest" of all HS's in irvine?

GH said:

In this RE market, perception is reality. NW High and Uni High have a proven track record and the future 5th high school is a big unknown. Many (not all) buyers/parents think that there will be a halo effect for their child by attending these particular schools. Now that IUSD is changing the school boundaries, there will be a short term negative impact for new sales and resales in these areas.

abosch00 said:
iacrenter said:

Don't parents like the newer high schools with better tech and facilities?  Isn't that one of the reasons why parents like Northwood High, because it is the "newest" of all HS's in irvine?

Many parents like bragging rights. Why do you think they put Harvard stickers on their broke ass cars?

abosch00 said:
iacrenter said:

I agree.  I think new HS (5) will be actually better then many people think it would be with a large investment in the new tech. and facilities.  Asians love new houses and new schools.  Also, with $ million dollar houses (GP homes) surrounding the HS, the $300 million investment (most ever), students and parents will push the school to be in the top tier. 

Goriot said:
abosch00 said:
iacrenter said:

I agree.  I think new HS (5) will be actually better then many people think it would be with a large investment in the new tech. and facilities.  Asians love new houses and new schools.  Also, with $ million dollar houses (GP homes) surrounding the HS, the $ investment, students and parents will push the school to be in the top tier.

FCB HS everybody!

bones said:
GH said:

I agree with this.  I think the whole high school thing is overblown.  I'm sure there are parents who REALLY care and will only buy a home in certain areas based on zoning but in general, IUSD is sufficient for most.  I'm not seeing a lot of pushback on the folks plopping down $1.5M for La Cresta - zoned for Woodbury Elem and Irvine HS (both "subpar" in the eyes of some to SG Elem and Northwood High) when if they REALLY cared about schools, they could have bought over at Sausalito.

I also find it funny when people are trashing Beckman (TUSD), when reality is that typical ratings place it right in the middle of the pack of IUSD schools (above Woodbridge and Irvine High, but below Northwood and Uni).

iacrenter said:
NW High and Uni High have a proven track record and the future 5th high school is a big unknown.
What if UHS principal goes to start a new HS and takes some of the staff along. Who would have a proven record?
School is just a building and staff changes.
UHS gets a boost from kids of UCI faculty who are better educated than the median and likely to emphasize need for education in their children.
NHS is the newest and probably benefits from the fact that thrie better equipment, facilities, etc may attract visionary teachers.

New Name said:
There was actually a kid that didn't get into USC .....

USC didn't accept a rich, spoiled, self entitlement kid?  That's just blasphemous. :eek:

interesting. I was contemplating higher chance of birth defects but University HS. But now LA residents will not get Uni and have to live with birth defect risks. double whammy

abcd1234 said:
It looks like Laguna Altura kids will go to the new high school too.

Back