Cheap furniture

ps99472

Starting another thread on furniture but with the central theme of being cheap.  No Room and Board here or Italian imported stuff, just good old China crap that you have to put together.  But there are some decent quality ones, especially if you don't have any furniture snobs as friends.

Been shopping on Target recently, especially the clearance section.  I have the redcard, which more than pay for itself due to the free shipping.  I'm not aware of any other furniture retailer that can ship it to me for free.  That makes shopping easier, with easy returns, if the furniture don't turn out, I can return and not be out of the shipping charges.  Plus an additional 5% off the clearance price.  Also, believe the Target depot must be nearby, as I get my furniture around 2 days!  Almost better than Amazon Prime, and we're talking about big freight pieces.  Don't forget cashback sites:
http://www.cashbackholic.com/cashback-rebates-target.com.html

I usually use Mr.Rebates for 3% back.

So loosen up those knuckles for the allen keys and line up those camber locks, it's cheap for a reason.
http://www.target.com/c/furniture-clearance/-/N-5tg3x

Nice thread.

I felt  :eek: when I saw a comment about how a $4,000 couch is reasonable.  Looking at my taste from when I bought furniture for my last house to now, I can say that it has changed dramatically.  With that said, who knows where I will be 5 years from now.  So I'd rather buy  furniture that will last me until I want to buy something new without having the feeling of "I need to keep this piece for 20 years because I paid XXXX for it."

PS9, you must have a lot of umbrellas to hang to buy something like that.  :p

Nice baseboards!

Thanks for adding a personal photo!

Here's my living room.  Almost done besides a few knickknacks to fill in some voids, ie. wall art and a storage type of unit to go against the couch.  Various stuff from Z-Gallerie, West Elm, and Ikea.  The lamp isn't visible but it's a 3 ball lamp from Plummers.  Stuff is pretty inexpensive on the whole.  However, that yellow chair must be Ikea's most expensive item "pound for pound", haha. 

Attachments

• photo (20).JPG
    photo (20).JPG
    186 KB · Views: 485
one day our living room will look decent. we have a kid play area, jumperoo, bassinettes and other kid things, dog beds on the ottomans, quilts for the dogs to lay on on the couch, dog toys (we keep these in a wicker basket and one pup likes to tip it over with her paw so everything falls out). 

qwerty said:
one day our living room will look decent. we have a kid play area, jumperoo, bassinettes and other kid things, dog beds on the ottomans, quilts for the dogs to lay on on the couch, dog toys (we keep these in a wicker basket and one pup likes to tip it over with her paw so everything falls out).
I agree - when you have kids; it's a different story. I always consider - in the back of my mind I say: is that kid friendly or will my son destroy it? 8)

Ever since buying Ikea while in college... I hate assembling my own furniture.

Had to do that with a few pieces from Target for the kids and it's still not fun.

I guess Living Spaces is cheap furniture, really like their same day delivery and even better... no assembly required.

irvinehomeowner said:

Had to do that with a few pieces from Target for the kids and it's still not fun.

I guess Living Spaces is cheap furniture, really like their same day delivery and even better... no assembly required.
I hate Ikea because it's cheaply made.

bones said:
qwerty said:

That's what lofts are for!!

Yeah but the loft only has a 42 inch tv vs a 70 inch in the great room. And and the dogs still need their beds/quilts.

Coleman said:
PS9, you must have a lot of umbrellas to hang to buy something like that.  :p

Nice baseboards!

Thanks for adding a personal photo!

Here's my living room.  Almost done besides a few knickknacks to fill in some voids, ie. wall art and a storage type of unit to go against the couch.  Various stuff from Z-Gallerie, West Elm, and Ikea.  The lamp isn't visible but it's a 3 ball lamp from Plummers.  Stuff is pretty inexpensive on the whole.  However, that yellow chair must be Ikea's most expensive item "pound for pound", haha. 

I think a lot of TI folks have those baseboards since it came "free" with the floors.  Have fun decorating, take your time.  Looks great so far, where did you get the cocktail/nesting tables?

We moved into our current house over a year ago and just finished the living room.  We started with the sofa and got that first.  Everything else came together like a puzzle piece with the sofa as the focus. 

If your budget is more mid-ranged (Macys, Living Spaces, etc), check out Furnishing America off the 55 freeway.  They source the furniture from the same maker.  But a little cheaper and more customization.  We saw our couch at Macys Home but they didn't offer the color nor the fabric.  Furnishing America was able to get us the couch the way we like it and at a slightly cheaper price (shipping is pretty steep at Macys).

qwerty said:

Been there, done that (well not the dogs), and might go thru it again.  We had the alphabet foam mats as our living room "area rug" for well over a year.  How do you match furniture to "rainbow" :)
When we finally removed it, it had some serious crud build up:  Cheerios over a year old, a spill we didn't see and has soaked thru and made a "R" imprint on our floor.  And make sure you do the letters correct, we had the "C" backwards for the longest time and my daughter thought that was the correct way at school!

irvinehomeowner said:

Target furniture is not too bad..I've put enough together, instructions are much better than Ikea's usually one page wordless instructions.  I would invest in a nice Allen key or hex key wrench though.  The ones that comes with, can be hard to use and rough on hands.  Some are already assembled too!  Got a bench and it came assembled which was a nice surprise.

ps9 said:
  And make sure you do the letters correct, we had the "C" backwards for the longest time and my daughter thought that was the correct way at school!

oh that is funny.we have the alphabet mat as well, its about 5x10, but its off to the side in the great room, so its somewhat out of the way. i just double checked to make sure all of the letters and numbers are facing the right way.

bones said:
qwerty said:
ps9 said:
  And make sure you do the letters correct, we had the "C" backwards for the longest time and my daughter thought that was the correct way at school!

oh that is funny.we have the alphabet mat as well, its about 5x10, but its off to the side in the great room, so its somewhat out of the way. i just double checked to make sure all of the letters and numbers are facing the right way.

We actually ended up not getting those baby/kid/alphabet foam mats after some research. Link below. Obviously parents will have varying feelings about topics like this. But after reading it, I just couldn't bring myself to let my kid roll around on, crawl on, lick, eat the mat. I ended up just buying an area rug to put over our carpet so he wouldn't mess up my carpet too much.  Plus that way I didn't have to worry about matching the rest of the house to the rainbow.
http://toxicfoammats.com

A better site?
http://healthychild.org/easy-steps/find-safe-foam-mats-for-toddlers-to-play-on/

The other one is a little Jenny McCarthyish.

Best piece of cheap furniture I own is this chair.

EC41F319-0A44-4902-AF49-E56992D9648E_zpskduk6gtf.jpg

bones said:
qwerty said:
ps9 said:

We actually ended up not getting those baby/kid/alphabet foam mats after some research. Link below. Obviously parents will have varying feelings about topics like this. But after reading it, I just couldn't bring myself to let my kid roll around on, crawl on, lick, eat the mat. I ended up just buying an area rug to put over our carpet so he wouldn't mess up my carpet too much.  Plus that way I didn't have to worry about matching the rest of the house to the rainbow.
http://toxicfoammats.com

i didnt even know this was an issue. the good thing is that she is almost six months and hasnt had a chance to start licking it i suppose. when she does tummy time she uses one of those little pad things on top of the mat so not a lot direct contact on the mat yet.

thanks for the info. ill probably get a rug and get padding underneath it. or maybe ill get some carpet cut to the same space and put padding underneath that.

Gonna take out all the foam mats now! F*** I feel like a bad parent for not doing more research. 

We have a downstairs bedroom and we put those alphabet puzzle mats throughout the whole room.

:mad:

Back