Pre-Dry Wall Inspection

Chairman

Hi everyone,

I wanted to bring up this topic and decided to start a new thread on an old topic. Has anyone here been able to do a pre-dry wall inspection with Irvine Pacific recently? I have been told that they no longer allow this because it slows down development (I can see that).

Is it really that worth it to spend money to know about all these potential issues? Is ignorance better than being informed in this area?

Has anyone hired an inspector and gone in on a day where the workers are gone and had the inspection done? How do you then go about getting these issues addressed? Also what can you look to see in your home to know that your dry wall is going up soon. I don't have an exact date but an approximation of a few weeks.

Any help would be appreciated. At a loss as to what to do and could use some advice. Thank you.

Tyler Durden said:
You might be able to see the construction progress on a chaperoned tour (perhaps after their day ends at 4pm).  That way if you paid for whole home insulation, you can see that it was installed.

True that. I want to make sure I get the extra insulation. How can you tell that you get extra vs the standard? Is it just more of the same? Do they use pink cotton looking material? Pardon my ignorance.

Chairman said:
Tyler Durden said:
You might be able to see the construction progress on a chaperoned tour (perhaps after their day ends at 4pm).  That way if you paid for whole home insulation, you can see that it was installed.

True that. I want to make sure I get the extra insulation. How can you tell that you get extra vs the standard? Is it just more of the same? Do they use pink cotton looking material? Pardon my ignorance.

do you mean that "Additional Whole House Insulation" which includes: #R-19 Between Floors, #R-11 Interior Walls, and #R-13 Garage Exterior Walls?  That costs $1322 for Marigold. (don't know about others)

It is additional insulation.  By default, you should have insulation between all the exterior walls (besides garage's) and roof(?).  If you get the chance to go pre-dry wall inspection, check those walls mentioned above.

Please keep us updated whether you are able to have pre-dry wall inspection.  I also bought this option and will want to see whether they have them installed.

Tyler Durden said:
Chairman said:
Tyler Durden said:

yep - the insulation is typically fiberglass (the owens corning brand is pink) This is delivered in huge rolls and then cut to the desired length and stuffed between the studs in the walls that would be exterior facing (so the insulation is sandwiched between plywood or Tyvek black wrap on the exterior and then chicken wire / stucco / paint afterwards) and drywall on the interior.  In the attic, you'l have blown insulation - (looks like loose cotton) everywhere between the ceiling joists.

When you opt for the "whole home", you are getting insulation in the ceilings of rooms and the interior walls.  I did this for sound proofing - the energy efficiency was an added bonus.

Do they also do it in between the 1st and 2nd floors? I thought they would do it on the ceiling of the garage to insulate it from the master bedroom.

bwpunch said:
Chairman said:
Tyler Durden said:

do you mean that "Additional Whole House Insulation" which includes: #R-19 Between Floors, #R-11 Interior Walls, and #R-13 Garage Exterior Walls?  That costs $1322 for Marigold. (don't know about others)

It is additional insulation.  By default, you should have insulation between all the exterior walls (besides garage's) and roof(?).  If you get the chance to go pre-dry wall inspection, check those walls mentioned above.

Please keep us updated whether you are able to have pre-dry wall inspection.  I also bought this option and will want to see whether they have them installed.

Yes, I asked for that option. Thanks.

They do it between the floors, but if you're looking for sound insulation, R-19 does nothing.  All it's really good for is to help regulate temperature.

If you want soundproofing you need something like Roxul.  You won't be able to get that through the builder.

I snuck into my home during after hours to check everything out.

broda said:
if you're looking for sound insulation, R-19 does nothing.

Anyone who does this for sound proofing with the energy efficiency as an added bonus is an idiot.  Sound travels straight through the wall studs, all the insulation in the world won't do a thing.  You'll need to get double walls to get sound proofing.

Chairman said:
I want to make sure I get the extra insulation.

If you just want to check the insulation that's easy to do yourself.  The drywall goes up right after the insulation goes in, so you'll only have 1 or 2 day window.  Just go visit your home to see if all the insulation is there, the only hard part is the timing.

test said:
Chairman said:
I want to make sure I get the extra insulation.

If you just want to check the insulation that's easy to do yourself.  The drywall goes up right after the insulation goes in, so you'll only have 1 or 2 day window.  Just go visit your home to see if all the insulation is there, the only hard part is the timing.

Timing is hard, they finished my insulation on a Tuesday, I wasn't allowed to see my house until after 4PM and they are gone by 6 on the dot.  Unless I kept taking time off to make sure I see parts of my house completed it was virtually impossible.  So I just visited my house while it's dark and the rent a cop was busy sleeping so no one to stop me.

I'm interested in a pre-drywall inspection and I spoke with Steve at biltriteinspect.com and he said he must have permission from the builder to step foot on the property.  I was hoping he could sneak in but legally, no.

Irvine Pacific is the only builder in all of Irvine that is no longer giving him permission.  BUT it wouldn't hurt for all of us to try anyway.

I feel it is important to inspect the house before drywall goes up.  There is a LOT that should be verified, besides just insulation, by an independent contractor.  I'd rather have it fixed than find out after I move in something INSIDE the wall is built wrong.

So please keep me posted on what your results are in getting IP to allow an independent contractor in for pre-dry wall inspection.  Thanks for bringing this thread up again.

Although IP don?t have a pre-drywall walk through and don?t allow 3rd party inspector for pre-drywall inspection, IP do allow you to visit the construction site.

One of my future neighbors visits his new home almost every Sunday.  He is also concern about the install of extra insulation.  He checks his new house almost every week, however, he still missed the small window of time frame between the deliver of insulation material and drywall went up. 

I meet another home buyer of Magnolia.  He got hold of the construction manager at Magnolia about the extra insulation and ask the construction manager to call him when the insulation is going up so he can come in and take a look at it.  The construction manager did call him and he get to see the extra insulation was installed.

Chairman you are in the Mulberry right, PM me I?ll give you the tip about visiting the construction site. 

BTW, my new Mulberry home is almost ready; most of Phase 1 will be ready to move in early December.

I know we are all stressing to get that pre drywall inspection done, as I was the same way.  But IP gave me VERY little impression they would even do anything to rectify it.

For example, although this was post drywall...they installed the wrong tile in my bathrooms.  Weeks went by they kept telling me they would fix it.  Even up to the point where they stop letting you visit the house 3 weeks before close they didn't do anything about it.  So imagine how reluctant they would be to fix things they can hide behind the drywall. 

ZeroLot,

Have you asked yet? I have not out right asked yet. Want to do all my research first before. Thanks for sharing that info. Has anyone been successful that you know in doing the pre-dry wall inspection?

lnc said:
Although IP don?t have a pre-drywall walk through and don?t allow 3rd party inspector for pre-drywall inspection, IP do allow you to visit the construction site.

One of my future neighbors visits his new home almost every Sunday.  He is also concern about the install of extra insulation.  He checks his new house almost every week, however, he still missed the small window of time frame between the deliver of insulation material and drywall went up. 

I meet another home buyer of Magnolia.  He got hold of the construction manager at Magnolia about the extra insulation and ask the construction manager to call him when the insulation is going up so he can come in and take a look at it.  The construction manager did call him and he get to see the extra insulation was installed.

Chairman you are in the Mulberry right, PM me I?ll give you the tip about visiting the construction site. 

BTW, my new Mulberry home is almost ready; most of Phase 1 will be ready to move in early December.

Congrats on your new home! We will be neighbors!

broda said:
I know we are all stressing to get that pre drywall inspection done, as I was the same way.  But IP gave me VERY little impression they would even do anything to rectify it.

For example, although this was post drywall...they installed the wrong tile in my bathrooms.  Weeks went by they kept telling me they would fix it.  Even up to the point where they stop letting you visit the house 3 weeks before close they didn't do anything about it.  So imagine how reluctant they would be to fix things they can hide behind the drywall.

This seems like such a frustrating aspect of the new home buying process. If anything I would want an inspection so I have a record. If anything were to go wrong I may be able to trace it back to something they missed and hold them accountable.

If my inspector wont go without authorization from IP and IP won't give me that (I haven't asked yet) then it seems a loss. Also if you address any issues, you would have to go every day and follow up to make sure they fixed it. Is this headache really worth it in the end? I know this is one of the biggest purchases a person(s) will make. <Sigh>

The worst part when I was trying to argue this, the sales staff said don't worry we have third party inspectors doing inspections.  So you know they won't let things go. 

me:Oh really? Can I get a copy of the report? 
sales: Oh well no, we don't provide that to the customer
me: So how exactly are you telling me not to worry?
sales: We build excellent quality homes, which is why we have so many inspections
me: Well if they are such good quality why wouldn't I be allowed to see the findings of the "third party" inspectors?

Anyways this went on for a while and we just kept talking in circles and pretty much got nowhere.  In the end...you'll lose because if you want the house you pretty much accept it and move on.  Maybe you'll have better luck than me.  I have been quite fortunate that my problems have been minor so far.  I'm assuming once the new home warranty is up more issues will come up

Go here:  https://irvinepermits.org/Default.asp?Build=PM.pmPermit.SearchForm&utask=normalview

Enter your new home address.
Click on the permit.
In the Viewing dropdown select Actions/Status.

You'll be able to see which inspections were done and the upcoming inspections and you'll know when the insulation is going in.

test said:
Go here:  https://irvinepermits.org/Default.asp?Build=PM.pmPermit.SearchForm&utask=normalview

Click on the permit.

You'll be able to see which inspections were done and the upcoming inspections and you'll know when the insulation is going in.

Hi Test,

I tried the site you mentioned but for some reason I can't pull any information. Anyone else have success trying to look up permits for their home? Thanks.

Chairman said:
test said:

Click on the permit.

Hi Test,

I tried the site you mentioned but for some reason I can't pull any information. Anyone else have success trying to look up permits for their home? Thanks.

Where it says Street Address enter your street number (not your lot number) and street name and leave everything else blank.

Back