Pavilion Park: Melrose by Ryland Homes

ps99472

Had some time to kill this am and decided to tour Melrose, the biggest homes in PP.  At over 4000 sq ft, plan 3 La Jolla felt like a maze right from the beginning.  The model had the 2nd Master suite option downstairs.  I would prefer the living suite option, a 2nd master bath seems wasteful.  The living suite also maximizes the 5th bedroom over the den/bedroom option as the closet would eat into bedroom space.  I would also pick the additional den option off the great room.  Maximize living space versus a space for a third or fourth car that I can park elsewhere.  Also would go with the third CA room option with the stackable doors.  This would really open up a huge space for parties.  Entrance effect is not great even with the peek a boo high ceilings. 

Going upstairs, Bed 2 is a decent size, and would rival some master bedrooms in other smaller plans.  Loft is a plus but if I have the option to not have it and just open it up as air space to downstairs...:)

Walking into the flex room, I noticed rubber? floors.  And then voila! a freakin sauna!  Nice, but not something I would opt for, a definite wow factor but not practical for me.  I can smell the mildew already.  Walking thru the master bedroom thru the master bath thru the master closet and into the laundry room via an optional door?  I'm impressed.  Need to see more of this implementation in other floorplans. 

Starting at $1.58 million plus upgrades/landscaping/lot premiums should net this home at a little over $400/sq ft.  A fairly good deal to other Irvine homes in the 4000 sq ft range.  Excluding the Turtles...closest comps would be NWP's Arbor Crest Estates/Rosegate and Northpark's Huntington.  Melrose seems a great deal compared to those.  If only it had a bigger high ceiling entrance effect I would be all over this (yeah right). 

On a side note, had to agree about the convenience of having the 133 entrance right at Irvine Blvd.  $0.90 got me to the 5 and exit Jamboree in less than 8 minutes. 

bones said:
The plan 2 was my favorite here. Good entry. Really liked the L shaped great room and the kitchen with all the bling out appliances. Upstairs loft size was amazing. Also liked all the bedrooms were in different corners.

The plan 3 was ehhh for the price. The entry was weird - you basically open the door and see stairs. Didn't like the upstairs layout. The whole house felt narrow? 

Another thing I noticed was the models (plan 2 and 3) are on the biggest lots with the exception of maybe a handful of home sites. The remaining home sites are on tiny lots. No way you can come even close to replicating what they did in the model backyards. Bait and switch.  See attached.

Has a developer ever done models on less-than-average sized lots? I've seen models on average-sized lots for the development, and more often than not, on oversized lots, but I don't think I've ever seen models on smaller than average lots. At Pavilion Park, it seems that the developers were particularly egregious with regards to this, the biggest offender being TayMo with Springhouse.

That said, I went and saw these models this past weekend. I particularly liked Plan 3, and with a few modifications (not standard options), it's a floorplan that would work for me. Amongst all the floorplans available at PP, I couldn't find more than 2 or 3 that I really liked.

At Pavilion Park, Whistler (LyonHomes) for whatever reason has all their models on lots smaller than their average I believe.

bones said:
The plan 2 was my favorite here. Good entry. Really liked the L shaped great room and the kitchen with all the bling out appliances. Upstairs loft size was amazing. Also liked all the bedrooms were in different corners.

The plan 3 was ehhh for the price. The entry was weird - you basically open the door and see stairs. Didn't like the upstairs layout. The whole house felt narrow? 

Another thing I noticed was the models (plan 2 and 3) are on the biggest lots with the exception of maybe a handful of home sites. The remaining home sites are on tiny lots. No way you can come even close to replicating what they did in the model backyards. Bait and switch.  See attached.

Agree with you on the plan 2 on a few things (upstairs layout, loft, bedrooms on corners) but I don't like how there is no option to modify the living suite arrangement.  I don't need the separated living space.  It would be nice to be able to incorporate that into the main house, at least give us the option of doing so.  The 3rd garage will be a multi-turn entry, i can see alot of corner dented bumpers :)  Maybe an option to turn that into a workout room?  For $1.5 million I want to be able to change the flow of the floorplan and not settle for a locked in living suite.  If god forbid I'm in the market for a $1.5 million house with my parents or in-laws, I might consider this.  I find the dual porch look kinda weird..

bones said:
Tyler Durden said:
ps9 said:
bones said:

Agree with you on the plan 2 on a few things (upstairs layout, loft, bedrooms on corners) but I don't like how there is no option to modify the living suite arrangement.  I don't need the separated living space.  It would be nice to be able to incorporate that into the main house, at least give us the option of doing so.  The 3rd garage will be a multi-turn entry, i can see alot of corner dented bumpers :)  Maybe an option to turn that into a workout room?  For $1.5 million I want to be able to change the flow of the floorplan and not settle for a locked in living suite.  If god forbid I'm in the market for a $1.5 million house with my parents or in-laws, I might consider this.  I find the dual porch look kinda weird..

^^^That is a sure sign that someone needs to lose their license.  Hitting an object that is fixed in place?  What are they looking at when driving???

I hope PS9's wife doesn't read TI.  First he knocks the shirt she got him, now he's knocking her driving skills.  Doghouse!

Never said the 3rd garage would be a problem for my better half, just a problem for the "general" population in Irvine.  :)  And as for people hitting stationary objects, check out the underground garages in SGV, those cement beams are taking a beating!

Ryland currently has only 2 homes left to sell before model-selling.

Plan 3 is currently above $1.6K!

They are slowing down.  As of yesterday, they had a lot of foot traffic, but the sales office was slow.  If anyone is looking to get a Plan 1, they have a corner lot #54 for $1,515,000.  I didn't understand why no one took the deal until I reviewed the Elevation.  It is a Farmhouse in Red.  Might as well paint it Purple or Monkey's Ass Pink.

There are still 3 to 4 (Plan 3) left but pricing is now at around $1.65M.
Plan 2, there are 2-3 left going at $1.56M in the middle of the street (Jan-Mar) move in.

I really dislike the turning circle, otherwise the choice wouldn't be so hard for me.

Back