Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Superstore Coupon

Cameray_IHB

Get 40% Off Any Single Item

<a href="http://www.cheapirvine.com/offers/696/get-40-off-any-single-item.html">http://www.cheapirvine.com/offers/696/get-40-off-any-single-item.html</a>

Expires 11/27/09

I've been meaning to swing by there to buy some fabric to cover my dining room chairs. I'm also going to make myself a (faux) tufted headboard. We'll see if it's as easy as it looks on HGTV. I'll be using staple and glue guns in lieu of actual tufting.

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1257426983]I'm also going to make myself a (faux) tufted headboard. We'll see if it's as easy as it looks on HGTV. I'll be using staple and glue guns in lieu of actual tufting.</blockquote>

Is that project made of chipboard? I made an HGTV headboard project that way. I bought chipboard, lined with foam & batting, used a nail gun to secure it, and upholstered it with fabric from Joann's. It is suspended on the wall. I love it. I saved a load of money making one over buying one for our huge Eastern King bed. They can get super expensive!! Sometime, I would love to buy a jigsaw and cut the chipboard to a specific shape. I also tried one of their tufting projects except I had a hell of a time on that.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1257427604][quote author="Sunshine" date=1257426983]I'm also going to make myself a (faux) tufted headboard. We'll see if it's as easy as it looks on HGTV. I'll be using staple and glue guns in lieu of actual tufting.</blockquote>

Is that project made of chipboard? I made an HGTV headboard project that way. I bought chipboard, lined with foam & batting, used a nail gun to secure it, and upholstered it with fabric from Joann's. It is suspended on the wall. I love it. I saved a load of money making one over buying one for our huge Eastern King bed. They can get super expensive!! Sometime, I would love to buy a jigsaw and cut the chipboard to a specific shape. I also tried one of their tufting projects except I had a hell of a time on that.</blockquote>

Yep, you've basically described my project! I'm a recovering HGTV addict. I've seen it done so many times on HGTV and I think I've recorded a few shows where it was done. Was it hard to get it mounted on the wall? Did you do the faux tufted look, too? I would really like to make a shape, too. I've heard that Home Depot and Lowe's will make cuts for a nominal fee. However, I've heard this about tile (and not particle board or plywood to be made into headboards). If they will make the cuts, I may try to do a shape.

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1257429477]Yep, you've basically described my project! I'm a recovering HGTV addict. I've seen it done so many times on HGTV and I think I've recorded a few shows where it was done. Was it hard to get it mounted on the wall? Did you do the faux tufted look, too? I would really like to make a shape, too. I've heard that Home Depot and Lowe's will make cuts for a nominal fee. However, I've heard this about tile (and not particle board or plywood to be made into headboards). If they will make the cuts, I may try to do a shape.</blockquote>

In the demo of the one I did, the guy was using a rose-patterned, cream & red fabric by Waverly... not sure if that's the one you saw, but the concept is probably the same. Nah, it wasn't hard mounting it because I just had Mr. SoCal do it. ;-) The headboard is hung by only two picture-hangers with nails angled downward and picture wire strung in between. I was thinking we were going to use wall anchors but he deemed that as being overboard, so he just used the picture-hangers . It's not even secured in studs but the holes haven't expanded or anything. It's hanging right in there. It's fairly light weight for being the size it is. This headboard is the widest standard size available so if you go this size or smaller, I think you'd be just fine. I was going to do the tufting but was not confident that I wouldn't ruin my fabric so I decided to keep it simple and do the tufting on a chair cushion first. I'm glad I did because it was harder than I expected, time-consuming, and generally did not turn out well. The only fun part there was learning to make fabric-covered buttons, which I used to incorporate into the design. Other than that, I wouldn't do it again. I ended up pulling it out a few months later (the cushions, not the headboard.) For the headboard, I used a tone-on-tone fabric with an asymmetrical pattern so that if it wasn't perfect, it wouldn't be detectable.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes!!

Back