Finally, a close-to-market solar innovation

MojoJD_IHB

<strong><a href="http://www.dailytech.com/Dow+Puts+Traditional+Panels+to+Shame+With+New+Solar+Shingle/article16424.htm">Solar shingles</a>

</strong>

Brilliant idea. :)

Now that's what I'm talking about. My house will need a new roof in five or ten years. I'm sure these are more expensive than a normal roof, but a lot less than a new roof <strong>and</strong> normal solar panels, plus you get all the benefits (tax breaks, cheaper electricity) from traditional solar panels. So, if I'm going to replace the roof anyways, might as well use these instead (assuming they work as planned and do replace standard shingles and the math works).

not only that, think of the space efficiency - you dont just lay down a few panels. Every square inch is covered.

Unfortunately, the article didn't address heat gain, but I would be curious to know if using the new shingles would cause the house to become warmer than it would using regular shingles, or a reflective roofing.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1254956558]Unfortunately, the article didn't address heat gain, but I would be curious to know if using the new shingles would cause the house to become warmer than it would using regular shingles, or a reflective roofing.</blockquote>

Yeah - they wouldn't be much use if you had to turn on the air conditioning to make the house cooler because they produced too much heat

Back