3-Story Homes

Would you buy a 3-story home?

• Yes, I need more space.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • No... two stories are enough for me.

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Bah... I hate stairs... one story all the way.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Finished basement... call it the Non-California Room.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (high-rise home, underground home etc etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

I actually prefer 1 story homes. Then I got married and 2-story homes became the standard.

Now that I have kids and live in a city where the lot footprint is smaller than many houses, a 3rd story would seem okay. Especially if the top story were a game room or media room (aka man-cave). Plus recent discussions about finished basements made me think that Irvine small lots would be perfect for a 3rd story... you get lots of sunlight and you support the BagOChips build design of The Irvine Company.

And... you could do a 3-car wide garage in a 3 story design.

There are actually a few newer 3-story floorplans in West Irvine and I think Oak Creek, Woodbury and Quail Hill (wherever CalPac has built... heh).

What do you think about a 3-story home?

I live in a little 3-story condo in Oak Creek (Oak Park).  The stairs result in a lot of "wasted space".  But for 2-story homes to add a "man cave' on top, it works pretty well.

I wouldn't mind a 3rd floor but only if it meant that I had more than 3000sq ft to live in.  The most recent offerings that use the 3rd floor to provide ~2400 sq ft wouldn't work for me.

The higher the home the larger the shadow.  As the homes are already close together, a third story would put many of the outdoor spaces in the shadows.  So much for sunny California

But then you wouldn't need to build a patio cover... you have natural shade from your mid-rise neighbors... and you forget... there are no outdoor spaces in Irvine new homes... that's what the pocket parks are for.

Also, with 3 story homes, you would at least have one room with a view.  Since they usually don't put the same plan adjacent to each other, the homes next to you will be 2 stories and you can actually have a view from your Irvine home.

I second momopi.  Two story is good for me but if I can get the 3rd story as a man clave, I am down.

I still enjoyed seeing the "California" basement at VOC -- The Gables plan 4. Loved that man cave downstairs with media center and space for pool table.
http://www.obeo.com/Public/Viewer/Default.aspx?ID=326312&locale=en-US&refUrl=obeo.com
ViewerImageHandler.ashx

ViewerImageHandler.ashx

Is that a wetbar with a mini fridge and...what's that other thing?  Sign me up!

Needs a toaster oven and maybe a microwave though, where will you make bagel bites and those little hot dogs wrapped in pastry and hot chili cheese dip?  Needs video games and high speed internet though, maybe space for four PCs (more video games).

Oh wait there IS a microwave....  I just clicked through on the link.

Oh..ew. I just looked at the front exterior.    I don't think I care for that at all.  I guess I won't care what the outside looks like after an hour of mixed drinks.

Although, is it me or are those the shallowest cabinets in the entire world?   

I didn't vote on the three story thing because it would kind of depend on the location to me.  I prefer ranch style homes but those require locations where land is not at a hideous premium  -  There's an eichler home that was for sale in Orange that had a nicely done addition (not up, sideways) and we really liked that but no one sells lots that big anymore and they havent' for a long time.    Given a location where we had the money to buy a bigger place but not the land, i'd go 3 stories.  Stairs are the only excersise I get all day anyhow.

Talyssa said:
Is that a wetbar with a mini fridge and...what's that other thing?  Sign me up!

Needs a toaster oven and maybe a microwave though, where will you make bagel bites and those little hot dogs wrapped in pastry and hot chili cheese dip?  Needs video games and high speed internet though, maybe space for four PCs (more video games).

Oh wait there IS a microwave....  I just clicked through on the link.

Oh..ew. I just looked at the front exterior.    I don't think I care for that at all.  I guess I won't care what the outside looks like after an hour of mixed drinks.

Although, is it me or are those the shallowest cabinets in the entire world?   

I didn't vote on the three story thing because it would kind of depend on the location to me.  I prefer ranch style homes but those require locations where land is not at a hideous premium  -  There's an eichler home that was for sale in Orange that had a nicely done addition (not up, sideways) and we really liked that but no one sells lots that big anymore and they havent' for a long time.    Given a location where we had the money to buy a bigger place but not the land, i'd go 3 stories.  Stairs are the only excersise I get all day anyhow.

I loved the basement but hated the exterior design as well, very fugly IMO.

In Northwood II the Arbors have some floorplans with a 3rd story attic / media / loft room option.  I personally, would love a man-cave as a media/gaming/music room where I could keep the noise and toys out of sight of the main living areas.  Wife would be happy too.  Come-on, I don't want a California room, I want a Kansas room. 

iacrenter said:
I loved the basement but hated the exterior design as well, very fugly IMO.

Its certainly not attractive.  To me.  But a bunch of people bought em so what the hell do I know.

I have to say, if my honey was like "hey lets buy this one it has a MAN CAVE" I'd be so turned off by that term that I'd say no.... even though I actually like the room.  Just not the term. Maybe you boys who want one of those should start using a term like "Mixed Media room".  I bet it will go over better with certain significant others.    Although I do a girl that demanded a  place with an extra room just so she could say "You! Man! all your stuff goes in that room.  I hate all of it, keep it out of my sight behind those closed doors" but that just doesn't seem like a particularly healthy relationship these days.    Maybe a few years (more than a few) back the interior of a home was considered the woman's domain and the man was allowed a small closed off area for his personal use, but I think more people treat the home as a shared space these days.    And some people have Mother-not-in-laws that keep ordering expensive ugly home decorations from catalogs and sending them to you.   

I think "man-cave" has more familiarity than rumpus room, bonus room or media room. For most families it will probably end up the play room or the upstairs media room.

I would prefer it to be on the 2nd floor with the bedrooms but considering the footprint of homes in Irvine nowadays... it has nowhere to go but the next floor. And then it that case, it should have a mini fridge (or actually regular size one), microwave and even a toaster oven.

you can make ANYTHING with a microwave, toaster oven,  and a mini fridge.  A sink is a good idea too - you could put in a water filter.

Hmm. You'd need a regular sized fridge or ....some way to get ice up there.

At this point though you basically have a studio apartment.      And I stand by Man-cave being a term that will be a turn off to some (possibly younger generations more than older ones). 

I went ahead and voted for a third story. I actually kind of like having stairs to run up and down.  And if you have kids, it will help  prevent childhood obesity if they have to go to the third floor to get some goldfish crackers.  (won't it?)  I see my parents starting ot get to the age where the stairs are an inconvenience for them though.

Courtesy of Cameray over on OCR  (http://www.ocreader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&p=11075).

Why can't TIC execute something like this in a detached product?

fp3.gif

That's a 5br house with a loft in probably a lot size of 3000sft, make it 4000 and you get a yard and driveway.

The stairs would be a pain, but I've always liked the idea of a finished attic or basement, as a casual room to hang out in and keep toys, etc in without having to clean them up all the time.

When home shopping last year, we looked at a house that had a "rumpus room" listed on the floor plan. Unfortunately, they had converted it to another bedroom, so I never got to see it in its original state. Too bad, since it even had a wet bar, which is super cool...I'm a sucker for all that 70s stuff.

Silly me... TIC (or StanPac actually) has something that I'm talking about:

http://www.villagesofirvine.com/Villages-And-Residences/Portola-Springs-Floorplan.aspx?type=home&Id=231

Put one of those in Laguna Crossing, and you can charge $100k more and I'll think about it.

Actually, the execution I would like to see is:

1st floor - 3-car garage (tandem or 3CWG) + Flex Room (ie Den/InLawRoom/PlayRoom/ManCave)
2nd floor - Main living spaces (kitchen, 2 dining areas, family room + alternate living area)
3rd floor - Bedrooms (Master, 3 bedrooms or 2 brs+loft and a laundry room)

If you use a hillside lot, you can put the main entrance and the backyard on the second floor (so the 1st floor is almost like a basement).

Do you mean plan 3 (Carmel) of the Mission Estates by Robson in Fremont, or aka the BK Estates? LR surely could've used something like that for the Hill.

irvinehomeowner said:
Silly me... TIC (or StanPac actually) has something that I'm talking about:

http://www.villagesofirvine.com/Villages-And-Residences/Portola-Springs-Floorplan.aspx?type=home&Id=231

Put one of those in Laguna Crossing, and you can charge $100k more and I'll think about it.

Actually, the execution I would like to see is:

1st floor - 3-car garage (tandem or 3CWG) + Flex Room (ie Den/InLawRoom/PlayRoom/ManCave)
2nd floor - Main living spaces (kitchen, 2 dining areas, family room + alternate living area)
3rd floor - Bedrooms (Master, 3 bedrooms or 2 brs+loft and a laundry room)

If you use a hillside lot, you can put the main entrance and the backyard on the second floor (so the 1st floor is almost like a basement).

Back