Author Topic: COX v. UVERSE  (Read 45031 times)

Offline lnc

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 511
  • -Received: 971
Re: COX v. UVERSE
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »
When Hulu came out with live TV last year, I just cut the DirectTV. 

Use it through Apple TV and I'm pretty satisfy with it so far.  It does not has that much channels but it is a lot cheaper than DirectTV.

Hulu Live is $40/mo, my DirecTV satellite is $25/mo with AT&T discount.

Yeah, but I had DirecTV by itself so it was over $100 a month.

ATT/DirecTV is pretty good deal but since my kid watch Hulu more than DirecTV, Hulu Live with some local channel added just work out better for us. 

Offline Garmin

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 6
  • -Received: 3
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2018, 11:18:28 PM »
Anyone with any new insight here?  Just closed on our house and wondering if I should switch to ATT after being with Cox for 8 years.   Promotions look pretty attractive for ATT.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1911
  • -Received: 3403
  • 3CWG
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2018, 05:33:22 AM »
For TV, anything but Cox is cheaper.

More of my friends have been cutting the cord.

The DirecTV Now service just rolled out DVR but I’ve been told it’s buggy.

One of my buddies uses PSVue with Roku boxes and doesn’t miss Cox at all.

We only use Cox for internet.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline akkord

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 34
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2018, 07:17:01 AM »
Been paying $135 for ATT Gigabit and U200 package with no charge for DVR and 1 free wireless receiver, they also provide free modem/router and have had no issues with it, probably could get better coverage with the Orbi, but no one's complained yet.  Got $400 in GC's too at signup and free install, Cox wasn't anywhere close to that.  Been getting 900+/900+ upload/download consistently when wired, so speeds are as advertised.  I was previously on Cox and could never get close to their advertised speed.

For those of you cutting the cord, I assume you pay for the quickest internet at ~$70-80/month + a service for $45-50?  That about right?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1911
  • -Received: 3403
  • 3CWG
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2018, 07:22:06 AM »
For those of you cutting the cord, I assume you pay for the quickest internet at ~$70-80/month + a service for $45-50?  That about right?

Paying a discounted $99 for giga Cox Internet and $25 for DirecTV satellite.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline bones

• Thanks
  • -Given: 189
  • -Received: 1039
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »

Yea sounds about right. I pay about $70 for internet and then cobble together HBO/sling/Netflix/Hulu depending on the time of the year for various sports/shows.

Offline paperboyNC

• Thanks
  • -Given: 296
  • -Received: 219
  • Portola Springs
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2018, 07:53:07 AM »
Been paying $135 for ATT Gigabit and U200 package with no charge for DVR and 1 free wireless receiver, they also provide free modem/router and have had no issues with it, probably could get better coverage with the Orbi, but no one's complained yet.  Got $400 in GC's too at signup and free install, Cox wasn't anywhere close to that.  Been getting 900+/900+ upload/download consistently when wired, so speeds are as advertised.  I was previously on Cox and could never get close to their advertised speed.

AT&T gave me their new customer promo of $135 for Gigabit and U300. I already had 1 free wired and 1 free wireless receiver - think the free DVR is standard.

I have started streaming a lot, but most of the streaming services require a cable provider login.

Offline akkord

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2018, 08:46:32 AM »

AT&T gave me their new customer promo of $135 for Gigabit and U300. I already had 1 free wired and 1 free wireless receiver - think the free DVR is standard.

I have started streaming a lot, but most of the streaming services require a cable provider login.

So after a year you called in and they gave you their newest deal.  Did I understand correctly?

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 539
  • -Received: 439
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2018, 09:11:56 AM »

Yeah I think we are at $70 for internet and $15 for netflix.  Have Amazon too but that's cuz prime.   Will be getting that Disney streaming thing when it comes available.

How much is u200 by itself?

Offline paperboyNC

• Thanks
  • -Given: 296
  • -Received: 219
  • Portola Springs
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2018, 10:23:40 AM »

So after a year you called in and they gave you their newest deal.  Did I understand correctly?

I've had uverse for a long time - maybe 7 years. I call every year and ask for a new deal. This year they agreed to give me the new customer deal because I upgraded. Last year they gave me something in the middle because I downgraded.

Offline akkord

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2018, 02:27:32 PM »
Sounds a lot better than Cox that gives you the middle finger after a year and raise rates.  Calling in with Cox is hit or miss with discounts.

I've had uverse for a long time - maybe 7 years. I call every year and ask for a new deal. This year they agreed to give me the new customer deal because I upgraded. Last year they gave me something in the middle because I downgraded.

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
  • -Given: 68
  • -Received: 197
  • Crank that ROI to the max
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2018, 05:22:01 PM »
Does anyone know if COX wired up the fiber lines for Orchard Hills Reserve?  Cox sent out a tech to my house but after 20 minutes, the tech told me that the builder didn't wire the fiber line straight to the panel.

A telephone call to the service rep says it should be good to go. Waiting to hear back from IP tomorrow morning.

Member of the 'A' Team. Team Appreciation.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 539
  • -Received: 439
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
Sounds a lot better than Cox that gives you the middle finger after a year and raise rates.  Calling in with Cox is hit or miss with discounts.

I have 50 mps service for $80 so I'm pretty happy that cost.  Haven't seen anything in that price range with alternatives.

Edit:  Apparently Uverse is doing 300 mps for like $60 (with contract).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:57:42 PM by Irvinecommuter »

Offline Garmin

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 6
  • -Received: 3
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2018, 09:55:38 PM »
Thanks all.   I’ve had Cox for about 8 years and was paying $190-$200/ month for internet/cable and phone.   I only had phone because th plan was cheaper if I included the phone.   Again, I called Cox looking for only internet and cable and they again told me it would be cheaper to include the phone because they wouldn’t charge me the $50 “installation fee”.  Ended up getting the same level cable and internet that was 4 times faster than what I had for $130 with the phone line that I won’t even use.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Flip or Flop by eyephone
[Today at 09:01:55 PM]

Re: Flip or Flop by daedalus
[Today at 09:00:03 PM]

Re: Bull run in housing over??? by Compressed-Village
[Today at 08:55:04 PM]