Author Topic: Mobile Nations - Android, iOS, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, WebOS, etc...  (Read 18268 times)

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Lender, Abiding Dude.
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 186
  • -Received: 405
  • Make Room! Make Room!
Re: Mobile Nations - Android, iOS, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, WebOS, etc...
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 12:32:20 PM »
Verizon's also saying there's a 4G signal issue with the Nexus that will take a software update to remedy.

Saw a flip switch widget to turn off the 4G when not needed posted in the Android Market. It's not (yet) modified for the Nexus.

Glad I'm not an early adopter. Let the pioneers take the arrows while I wait this one out.

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 62
  • -Received: 37
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 02:01:07 PM »
4G has been working great since day 1 here... no complaints...

4G Toggle Switch would be nice, but 4G automatically switches off to WiFi when detected,  been working like a charm...

As a matter of fact, considering how many things the average Smartphone does, and how many things could go wrong, with any component of either software or hardware at any given time; I'm really surprise that I don't have any sleepless nights...
Los Angeles...  Android...  Happy  ~RC

• Lender, Abiding Dude.
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • Make Room! Make Room!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 02:08:33 PM »
Toggles off 4G so you run only 3G for general phone calls. When you need 4G for web sites etc you switch it back on. Nice to hear that 4G shuts off when wi-fi is near.

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
trying to Google this, but I thought 3G/4G is strictly for Data only, your phone calls are on a separate Radio bandwidth... used by regular antennas found in regular features phones...

a couple of articles out this afternoon... about the supposed G-Nex bugs...  I might be fighting a cold, but at least the G-Nex feelin' fine...

http://www.androidcentral.com/ice-cream-sandwich-battery-bug-seems-hit-or-miss-something

Looks fine on my phone too..http://phandroid.com/2011/12/20/galaxy-nexus-lte-bug-is-a-figment-of-your-imagination/

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1168
  • -Received: 1900
  • 3CWG
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
Nope... 3G/4G phones carry voice and data on the same bandwidth.

Voice can certainly work on lower speeds like EDGE (for GSM) or 1xRTT (for CDMA)... but they'll go on whatever connection you have active.

GSM also has the ability to carry both voice and data at the same time (I'm sure you've seen that AT&T commercial where the guy is making anniversary reservations while talking to his wife, or the other one where a guy is betting his friend while using Google). CDMA does not... and while LTE does, the current version that VZW is using does not until they move to real 4G using LTE Advanced.

No one is really using "real" 4G... in order of true speeds, it's probably HTSPA+ (TMo and ATT), WiMAX (Sprint) and then LTE (VZW). LTE-A is true 4G but that will probably be touted as 5G (which is wrong).
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
OREO: Optional Real Estate Owned (aka Shadow Inventory)

• Lender, Abiding Dude.
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • Make Room! Make Room!
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 07:52:53 AM »
That brings up an interesting question: If you are transmitting voice data over 3G/4G, can't you also go on the web if you've got a good Wi-Fi signal? Can ICS do both at the same time?

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
Interesting... just called my cell from my desk land line, was totally able to surf the WiFi at the same time; on the land line phone receiver, I can hear the slight echo of my keyboard typing... so cool, I always was able to talk and text forever on Verizon...

Verizon 4G/3G totally down this morning, not so cool... also my phone randomly resetted itself for the fourth time since the first day...  it seems to be a known bug, probably software, under all kinds of circumstances, load, no load, charging, data, phone calls, and such, very random... I'm not too concerned, but I will be if this continues...

We just got an announcement from Andy Rubin last night...

...that more than 700,000 Android devices are being activated every day. That's 29,166 devices (more or less) activated every hour. Or 486 devices every minute, or by the time you finish reading this post.

Rubin also explained what counts as an "activation," saying:

"We count each device only once (ie, we don't count re-sold devices), and "activations" means you go into a store, buy a device, put it on the network by subscribing to a wireless service."

That is freaken awesome... pretty soon there will be more Androids than people on Earth... compare that to world population... there are only 490,000 babies born every day...

My entire, Music/Radio collection of more than 15 gigs is finally uploaded to the cloud... I am living more in the Cloud each and every day... and it's a bit wet, but lovin it... with so much Cloud storage, I will NEVER ever fill my entire 32 gig internal memory...

I'll be sure to write more about my life in the Cloud soon, for you iOS people, how are you enjoying it so far...?  Androids been here for years now...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:54:54 AM by roundcorners »

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »
That brings up an interesting question: If you are transmitting voice data over 3G/4G, can't you also go on the web if you've got a good Wi-Fi signal? Can ICS do both at the same time?
Data will go over WiFi and you can do voice at the same time from what I recall.

It's not a limitation of the OS... it's a limitation of the carrier technology... iPhones on AT&T can do both voice/data, iPhones on VZW and Sprint cannot.

For instance, if I data tether on AT&T, I can receive a voice call and not interrupt my browsing on my notebook... but if I tether on my Sprint phone, when a call comes in, it takes precedence and the data is "paused" on my notebook until the call is over.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 10:11:46 AM »
Once in my life-time I love to attend & visit one of these shows/places... instead of the boring ones I go to...  :'(

Thanks Google for a fantastic Year!! -RC

Fun at the Google Android Booth at Mobile World Congress 2011
http://www.androidcentral.com/fun-google-android-booth-mobile-world-congress-2011

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:18:40 AM by roundcorners »

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
Here we go... HTC Sense 3.5 on ICS...

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 251
  • -Received: 335
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
Data will go over WiFi and you can do voice at the same time from what I recall.

It's not a limitation of the OS... it's a limitation of the carrier technology... iPhones on AT&T can do both voice/data, iPhones on VZW and Sprint cannot.

For instance, if I data tether on AT&T, I can receive a voice call and not interrupt my browsing on my notebook... but if I tether on my Sprint phone, when a call comes in, it takes precedence and the data is "paused" on my notebook until the call is over.

Verizon announced the HTC Thunderbolt back in January as their 1st 4G phone to offer SVDO service (simultaneous voice+data over CDMA). Since then HTC came out with the Rezound as Big Red's second phone to offer this feature when you are in a 3g EVDO network.

I thought that all other verizon 4g phones offer simultaneous voice+data when on a 4g network--data goes over 4g and voice going over the 3g/1x/CDMA network. Outside of the 4g network you get no simultaneous voice+data  unless on wifi or if you have the above phones. Is that not the case?

Eventually Verizon plans on implementing Voice over Data via 4G (Voice over LTE) alone but they are working out the kinks.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
Verizon announced the HTC Thunderbolt back in January as their 1st 4G phone to offer SVDO service (simultaneous voice+data over CDMA). Since then HTC came out with the Rezound as Big Red's second phone to offer this feature when you are in a 3g EVDO network.

I thought that all other verizon 4g phones offer simultaneous voice+data when on a 4g network--data goes over 4g and voice going over the 3g/1x/CDMA network. Outside of the 4g network you get no simultaneous voice+data  unless on wifi or if you have the above phones. Is that not the case?

Eventually Verizon plans on implementing Voice over Data via 4G (Voice over LTE) alone but they are working out the kinks.
You could be right... voice over 3G, data over 4G... but I think the handset hardware has to implement it because I imagine there would be software/antenna requirements.

As for LTE (which does support SVD), I thought VZW was going to do that on Advanced LTE.

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »
I don't know... trying really hard combing the gadget news outlets for anything exciting this morning... and coming up empty handed... maybe everything just pales in comparison to having ICS as a daily driver, or that literally everybody I'm trying to contact this morning is already on vacation, or... that everyone is gearing up for CES... I don't know... kinda quiet out there...

I'm working on a Cloud storage post but, I'm not feelin it either... I mean, I'm sure most of you already live mostly in the cloud too...  Gotta say tho, Music in the cloud this week really rocks...!

This would be something to keep an eye on...
Intel shows off first Medfield-powered Android phone with Blu-ray quality video playback

Those of you who like Smartphone abuse...
Sony Ericsson Xperia Active Takes a Pummeling, Keeps on Ticking

Those of you who want to laugh at GM for Velcro a couple of Galaxy Tabs to the back of seats and call it a "in-car" system..!
OnStar ready to flaunt LTE Skype-enabled system on GM rides

Those of you who want to laugh at ghostly white Asian gadget models...

Offline jvna

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 22
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
So what's the gossip about the new Android phones/tablets that will be announced at CES?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »
More 720p HD phones, quad core phones and quad core tablets.

This is supposed to be when Samsung announces their Retina Display resolution 11.6" tablet (rumored 2560x1600) and Apple is planning to match with the iPad 3 (but only running 2048x1536):

http://www.bgr.com/2011/12/08/samsung-to-beat-apple-to-market-with-retina-resolution-tablet-in-february/

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Grid Panels by aquabliss
[Today at 01:15:45 AM]

Re: Baskin Robbins Special 4/22-4/24 by aquabliss
[Today at 01:11:35 AM]

Re: iPad / Android apps for toddlers by irvinecyclist
[Yesterday at 11:26:17 PM]