Author Topic: Mobile Nations - Android, iOS, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, WebOS, etc...  (Read 20810 times)

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 62
  • -Received: 37
Re: Mobile Nations - Android, iOS, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, WebOS, etc...
« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »
Looking good...

Will my device run CM9..?

G-Note on T-Mobile... done

Beautiful Widgets Update, just in time for the rain this weekend...

Great article on what to do with Older Smartphones (N-1..?) yup...
http://lifehacker.com/5892896/what-can-i-do-with-an-old-smartphone-besides-sell-it

Happy Friday everyone... I think I might have already linked this...
Los Angeles...  Android...  Happy  ~RC

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
morning.. all

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »
I have never heard Ira so pissed-off; if Ira can ever instill indignant justice or righteous anger, this would be it.  TAL handled it whole thing with grace, transparency and integrity.  When Mike was being grilled by Ira, and Mike had those long pauses between questions, I thought my computer crashed or something; way to go Ira, don't let him off the hook...  They will survive the incident and go on to build an even greater fan base.

I however thought the Mike Daisey piece was and is entirely plausible; and that it should have just been labeled as theater versus a news piece; it still would have been just as effective and powerful.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/460/retraction

Another great commentary…
4 important truths about Mike Daisey’s lies & the way ‘This American Life’ told them

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/regret-the-error/166880/4-important-truths-about-mike-daisey-lies-and-the-way-this-american-life-told-them/

Speaking of dam lies… Tera 3’s comeback…

Another great read from Phil
From the Editor's Desk: We don't need Just Another Android Tablet
Great points – But Google got to have something up their sleeves… they are smart people working over there…
http://www.androidcentral.com/editors-desk-just-another-android-tablet

CyanogenMod 7.2 release candidate now live with support for 69 Android devices
http://www.androidcentral.com/cyanogenmod-72-release-candidate-now-live-support-69-android-devices

The Millionth Samsung Galaxy S III leak

http://phandroid.com/2012/03/18/the-millionth-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-leak/

Micro-Arc Oxidation - wa soo cool... totoolly defferent...

Monday Bonus...
Panasonic: Android-operated rice cookers? You got it, and for over $1000!
http://phandroid.com/2012/03/17/panasonic-android-operated-rice-cookers-you-got-it-and-for-over-1000/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:35:55 PM by roundcorners »

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
humm... eat lunch or mess with the phone... isn't it obvious?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1434
  • -Received: 2416
  • 3CWG
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
Sorry RC, this is gonna hurt your manhood...

App developers continue to choose iOS, Android and BlackBerry fall behind

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/20/app-developers-continue-to-choose-ios-android-and-blackberry-fall-behind/

Appcelerator, in conjunction with market research firm IDC, on Tuesday announced the results of a recent joint survey of 2,173 app developers from around the world. The report found that developers are more interested in Apple’s iOS platform than any other mobile operating system. 89% of respondents said that they were very interested in developing for the iPhone, and 88% were interested in the iPad. Google’s Android operating system, which was once neck-and-neck with iOS in terms of developer interest, has decreased “due to continued fragmentation of the platform.” Interest in the platform dropped nearly five points to 78.6%, while Android tablets dropped 2.2 points from the previous survey to 65.9%. Windows Phone 7′s appeal, on the other hand, remains high and it is clear that the platform is the “number three OS in terms of priorities,” while interest in Research in Motion’s BlackBerry platform continues to fall. The study found that developer interest in the BlackBerry OS declined from 20.7% in the fourth quarter of 2011 to 15.5% in the first quarter of 2012. Read on for Appcelerator and IDC’s press release.

Not to mention all those ads on free apps for Android are probably responsible for the poor battery life:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/20/free-apps-power-drain/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/19/2884902/android-apps-battery-efficiency-study

Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
OREO: Optional Real Estate Owned (aka Shadow Inventory)

Offline jvna

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 22
« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
Hey RC, what was your previous Android phone?  I just got an HTC Sensation (about a yr old model).  I've flashed it with a custom ICS 4.0.3 rom (VI 4.0) and this thing is super smooth and responsive.  I then flashed my previous phone, Samsung Exhibit II 4G, with a custom rom also running GB.  It's so much smoother also and feels a bit more stable.  I hate all that crap that vendors put on top of Android.  So while IOS "just works", I'm partial to Android for the flexibility and customization it allows.  If I wasn't as technical a person and just wanted my device to work, an iDevice would be a strong contender.

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »
Hey guys... been a rough night; I tried installing the new Google Wallet .apk last night, and I think I bricked the NFC; at least the Security Element of the NFC...

Never had to Beam anything to another device yet, but I think that should still work.  Been on the phone with Google Wallet all morning and now corresponding on email... seems to be an issue that is more, hardware related, than software.

The Security Element
http://www.google.com/wallet/faq.html

seems to be separate from the OS, that even rooting or flashing a custom rom won't reset it; I've tried my back up from yesterday, but NOTHING is working...

I know no, big deal but; things like this just stresses me out... now I have a missing ICON where the Wallet one used to be; it's like actually loosing my real wallet...

Not a very good day, the car is in the shop, couldn't make it to the kid's doctor's appointment; work piling up...

Gotta stop being so obsessed with the phone being perfect...

@JVNA, my previous phone is a HTC Desire, still running CM 7.1, (CyanogenMod) 7.2 just came out last week, so I might flash that very soon... but I'm totally happy with it; Cyanogen has a CM9 in beta for the G-Nex so I'm not even going to try using that yet, as again i'm sure something about that will stress me out as well...

But looks like the Desire hardware can handle CM9, so I'll do that if it comes out...

@IHO.. I hear you on the free apps, those things are LOADED with ads and notifications... that is why I try to keep games to a minimum and only play on the HTC; besides, I have Super User Access and I can kill anything that tries to access root...  But tracking down which apps are sending those Notifications is annoying...

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »
I have done absolutely no work today... all anyone can see at my desk is that I'm frantically trying to fix the dang phone...

I was this close to springing $600 for a Warranty Replacement at the VZ store, since arguing with the level 2 tech didn't help...  this is like the worst case scenario since, VZ doesn't not support 3rd party apps like wallet; and wallet like one of the apps that does something permanent to the NFC...

I gave Google Wallet more detailed information but they have not responded...

Now, I just called the Money Network the Wallet partner, I'm reading somewhere that they might have a Master Reset that can reset the chip...

I can't live like this; even tho the phone works, I can't live knowing that a part of it doesn't; even tho, I don't really use NFC or Wallet all the much... I just know myself, I can't do it...  I got to fix this or pay $600...

what have I become...  ah!

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
This is why I'm Android...  still recovering from yesterday; was going home bummed out when I got this email from the Wallet Team, I'm glad that the Wallet team is taking responsibility for this; and I expected nothing less from Google.  Looks like my G-Nex soul will live on but the physical phone will be sent back to the mothership...

Backing up images of the homescreen and settings... this afternoon, it's a hassle, but I'm glad this problem will be resolved...  let's see what their instruction are for return, maybe I can get a free battery, accessories or something for the trouble... I'm already going to loose the screen protector... oh bother...

Re: [#990xxxxxx] Follow-up to Google Wallet

Hi RC,

It appears that your phone has experienced a rare hardware error with the
Secure Element that makes it incompatible with the Google Wallet mobile
app.  We are currently working with our hardware partner to address this
particular error and are interested in obtaining your phone for further
investigation.

For more information about the Secure Element and security with the Google
Wallet mobile app, please visit our help center at
http://support.google.com/wallet/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=1350361&ctx=topic&answer=1350362

If you are interested, we would like to offer you with a new Galaxy Nexus
on Verizon in exchange for your current Galaxy Nexus.  You will be
required to ship your current phone to us in order to receive your new
device.

Please reply to this email acknowledging whether or not you would like to
proceed with this exchange.  If you would like to proceed, please include
the following information in your reply.

- Full name
- Google Account Username
- Shipping address
- Contact number

Once we receive this, we will send you our shipping details for your
existing phone and will ask for the tracking number once you have sent it.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. Thank you for
your patience with this issue. We appreciate your help as we work to
improve Google Wallet.

Sincerely,

xxxx
The Google Wallet Team

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
Actually... you should be glad you went with Nexus.

Google stands behind their Nexus line... not so much with the non-Nexus ones.

Apple does the same thing with their iPhones... and you can go in-store to get a replacement.

A relative of mine just said her iPhone was acting weird... took it into an Apple Store and they replaced it on the spot.

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #205 on: March 23, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »
I think there is a quote somewhere out there that one of our greatest desires as human beings is to simply be known; that someone out there knows us deeply inside and out; and loves us for who we are.  I think that is why so many people are on social networks; I think it’s the reason why perfect strangers will share some of the most personal things with the wife and I; and it’s partly the reason why I post things on here every day.

We all like the feeling that our lives matter and our actions count for something.  Sure we want to protect our privacy, but once we feel that it is safe to come out; we do want to let the people who matter into our lives.  So there is this balance going on all the time of figuring out whom to trust, who to let in and who do we tell our junk to.

There is always talk of Google privacy; how Google is tracking your ever move.  But I think Google has earned that trust, they do walk the fine line of keeping your secrets safe, making your feel special and all the while being there for you whenever you needed them.  Sort of like that good friend that is always a phone call away when you need to confess something.

Besides my wife, no one else in the world knew that I ran out of gas on the 605 going home last night.  I confess I was being completely stupid; wishful thinking that is.  But even my wife didn’t knew that that main reason why I ran out of gas was that I was watching Super Bad on Google Play, that I had to call AAA three times, texted the wife twice and emailed two people while waiting; that I used Poynt & Google Maps to find the nearest gas station; that I pulled in that Arco off Telegraph.  But I bet the wizards over at Google knew or as least had a records of all that.

It’s was a strange feeling going home; on one hand I felt completely, vulnerable and helpless on the side of the road; to add to it embarrassed to know that somewhere in the bowels of this tech giant called Google, if someone wants to put the pieces together; some one can figure out; that this guy name RC was so preoccupied watching a movie that he ran out of gas on the freeway going home from work.  And strangely, knowing that someone else knows is better than feeling that the experience never existed at all.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:44:31 AM by roundcorners »

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2012, 09:43:26 AM »
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it... does it make a sound?

Offline jvna

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 22
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »
I'd rather no company has private information on me, but that's not something I can control.  I'm online for work, friends, family, play, etc.... it's impossible to not be "monitored" if you don't live in some remote part of the planet and have Internet access.

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
Morning all...

The G-nex is going back directly to the Google Campus in Mountain View today... just disconnected the phone line and resurrected the old LG, feels kinda great to type on the old keyboard again...

Alright have a good Monday everyone; I'm not expecting much, I would totally be blow away if they send a New un-boxed G-Nex; but most likely, I am expecting a refurbished unit.

The little guy is going under now... and when he wakes he'll have a new body...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:46:29 AM by roundcorners »

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2012, 10:38:18 AM »
Sammy is just overdoing it now...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:00:27 PM by roundcorners »

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts